Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:50:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Applying Mono Kote or other types of film  (Read 1113 times)
RK Flyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »

Just getting back into building now that I have retired. Does anyone have any tips on covering planes with Mono Kote or a better type of film. I am getting to cover my first 1/2 A plane.

Thanks RL FLYER
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »

Welcome back,

I have been using laminating film with some success for a while now - but still need to master wing tips. :'(

To cover the larger expanses, lay the covering over the wing panel, and smooth it out by hand as well as you can. Then apply heat close to the fuselage about half chord. Then stretch the covering by hand and attached with the heat at a corresponding position out near the tip. Then attach the covering about half span on the LE followed by the TE. Once that's done attach the corners, then making sure there are no wrinkles completely seal along the sheeting near the fuse, then the tip and finally LE & TE. Then you can shrink all over to give a nice drummy finished job. All other panels are then done the same way.

Good luck & remember practice makes lots of messes!  Cheesy

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
planeJohn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »

Hi, Just found your post.

Glad to hear of your retirement! Cheesy Same hobby opportunity for me. On my third Monokote covered CL model now.

Besides the basic instruction with the Monokote, temp of your particular sealing iron is important. try-out on scrap balsa to get the temp that works a specific area being applied. There are several good YouTube videos that helped me too!
Best, planeJohn
RK Flyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »

Greg & John.....Thanks for the info!!

I've had good & bad reports on the MonoKote have you tried any other brands? Ive also been looking at the irons and wondering if one brand / style is better than  the others.
I guess I'll just jump in and get started.

RK Flyer
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »

For Monokote or Ultrakote, it helps to stick down with lo temp, shrink with high temp.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

I just covered a 1/2A Spacer with Ultracote Lite. I stopped using MonoKote because I was getting mixed results (like batches that wouldn't shrink) and for a 1/2A it's pretty heavy. Here's what I learned about Ultracote.

1. Don't let the sticky sides (even though it appears non sticky) touch each other! Be very careful near the trailing edge or on a thin surface that you don't pinch them together. Someone said you can dust some talcum powder on the inside to prevent this, but I haven't tried it.

2. The shrink temp and adhesive temps are very close. If you use a heat gun there is a good chance the glue will soften and pull away from the seam. Use an iron near the edges.

Norm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: