Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 07:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric NOS Power Event  (Read 718 times)
Randy Reynolds
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »

Hi Guys,

Jack Murphy has come up with an idea for NOS Electric Power.  It sounds like a natural to me.  Any discussion here? Here is his post over on the NFFS site:

Re: E Nostalgia

Postby jack.murphy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am
I just emailed Bob Mattes on the advice of John Lorbiecki (and cc'd the Nos and E subcommittees and Don DeLoach) the following-

Hey Bob,

The discussion as to a possible Nostalgia Electric rules designation has taken place recently on the NFFS Forum.

To wit:

Nostalgia Electric

1/4A (E-20)- 20 inch wingspan maximum, scaling permitted

Early 1/2A- no scaling permitted as per Nos Gas

1/2A- <320 square inch wing area, scaling permitted

A- 320-450 square inch wing area, scaling permitted

B- 450+ square inch wing area, scaling permitted

Only Nos approved plans. No folding props, No BOM Rule, Motor runs and max times same as Nos Gas.
It is thought that power packages would be regulated by experience and common sense. Requisite knowledge and experience is held by many. I anticipate more prognostication re: motor runs and max times, though contest directors should have latitude in this regard and to combine classes, etc in the interest of competition.

Let me know if a more formal proposal is necessary to roll this rock uphill to the next level toward a rule designation.

Thanks!

Jack Murphy
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »

I could be tempted with this.
Maybe limiting it to Small E-NOS & Large E-NOS, to get ball rolling?  Small being 250"sq wing area & Large being…well, Larger than Small!
:-)

Leeper
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »

Randy,I have just one question why Nost. models?Don't you think we have enough of those.There is a bunch of great models from 1957 to 1974 that are just perfect for electric.That would open up a whole new generation of models that are not being flown unlike the Nost. models that are.Don't get me wrong I like the idea,I just think your missing the boat. Huh 
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

Bruce, excellent question!  You should ask it on the Electric
thread on the NFFS Forum where the discussion began. I think it was Jack Murphy who proposed the original idea.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »

Am I hearing Electric Vintage FAI, Bruce?

Gliders are a part of me.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »

John,electric Vintage FAI just shoot me now.I've been reading a bunch of old 60's model mags and just thought about how I would like to build some of the models .But what event would I fly them in,you'd have to fly them aginst  much more modern planes.Then I saw this new event,it's like a perfect fit. Of course it's not like we really need  more free flight events.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:33 AM »

No, you're right Bruce, we don't need more event categories.

Shouldn't we 'adjust' the existing rules to allow electric to join in alonside?

I too, have spent many hours flicking through the various mags, and the mid to late 60's is my favourite era. Over the years a number of models have somehow 'attached' themselves to me.
Not a 'Build List' per se, more an 'I Shouldn't Build List'.

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »

Yes there should be a way to fly together,I don't know how but it would be the way to go.I fly a little of everything but I'm mostly a power guy and will be as long as I can.My Dad and I designed a model call the "Classic" back in 1967 and as the years went by I made improvements on it untill I left home.My Dad flew them just as I had last drawn them till 1989 with no changes.Now with my Dad's passing I'm thinking of one more "Classic TLC" this stands for The Last Classic.My son doesn't fly models nor my Grandson so the Classic dies with me.John I think you would say it is a pretty plane,very much like a Night Train only made in America.     Bruce
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »

Knowing you I bet "Classic" is a beaut ff.
How about pix, or a plan to show our audience?

Leeper
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »

I agree with Lee, Bruce, you certainly have an eye for a nice looking model.
......and a pic or 2 would be great!

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »

The idea of electric power for any of the older classes - especially vintage and Nos - is nice.  Many modelers like the lines of the older planes, but are put off by the requirement for a Nos legal or ignition engines (availability, cost and parts).

I think it could even open the door to more participation, and get some new blood into the sport (the "younger" generations seem to have an aversion to getting their hands dirty/oily Roll Eyes Grin). 

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »

I have had mild eczema all my life, and my hands are probably the worst affected part. When I do a lot of power flying, the oily exhaust residue from castor based fuel really helps - something I doubt that I will find if I ever shift over to electric.

I have been thinking about Bruce's Classic TLC possible build (I imagine it would be gas), and I got to thinking again about building one of my Dad's models - possibly the '78 Nats Winner (which was actually a 1975 model). I didn't help with the design, and it's not what one would call a pretty model, but it is one where all the various shapes involved do look like they belong together - something I can't really say of the published Slick Stick from the 50's.

So many models, so little time................

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: