Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 08:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Megow's Blackburn Skua  (Read 2798 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »

Yes there was. Fred Watrous Megow ( pronounced MAY-GO ).  In 1929, he taught shop and Mechanical drawing. His designs included
flying and solid display models. Some of these early types can be bought from http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/
Megow built his empire of flying and display models over a space of 12 years.  In 1948, he called it quits and began liquidating everything
associated to modeling. By 1949, the Megow Corporation ceased to exist.  Fred W. Megow passed away March 12, 1977 due to complications resulting from a stroke.
Skyraider

Thanks Skyraider.  It is nice to know some of the history.  As I said in an earlier post, he did well to replicate an aircraft from I assume were a few magazine photos and rather sketchy 3-views that were then in circulation.  I will have a look at pennvalley.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »

I finished the new wheels and saved 1.2 grams.  The landing gear has been glued into the wing and vee struts added (not fully scale
and not the rather vague single thickness line on the drawing). The final touch was to very lightly spray some of the upper surfaces with
the lightest spray of very thin acrylic varnish.  This a strange white liquid but dries clear very quickly and the sheen just takes off the
drab matte finish.

The flying notes on the plan do not give the rubber motor size nor is the balance point shown. It says something like "the original
balanced correctly and if you build to plan your model will balance correctly too".  I put in a 2 strand 2g x 1/8th motor (the same
as successfully flew my Guillows Bird Dog in Manchester Velodrome and the model balanced just where I would have placed it for
first flights.  So Mr Megow's instructions worked out after all. Grin

Weights          bare balsa frame - 10.3g       frame covered with silver mylar - 11.62     finish painted - 12.3
Add the weights of the prop assy, wheels, cockpit, motor tube, tailwheel, u/c struts, decals, clear acrylic final spray and it came to 18.05g.

Add 2g motor gives a flying weight of 20g.

Flat Wing area incl fuselage bridging the wings           233 sq cm.    Flying weight 20g      gives 8.6g/sq dm

My Bird Dog values are                         246 sq cm                 21g       8.5g/sq dm

My Lysander                                   167 sq cm                 21.5g    12.8g/sq dm

So if the Bird Dog flew at a nice slow speed the Skua should be satisfactory as long as Mr Megow's balance point is correct.
I haven't tried the Lysander indoors yet. It could be a bit quick. 

What are typical g/sq dm values for indoor scale models?  Your feedback appreciated.

All in all a nice little building project.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Megow's Blackburn Skua
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »

What a wonderful model! Beautifully photographed too.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »

What a wonderful model! Beautifully photographed too.

Thanks Pete, I thought the sombre grey background suits a plane flown from carriers in the North Sea.  I will have to wait for some calm outdoor conditions to see if it can be taught to fly before launching it indoors. 

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

Lovely work Spadge!

What are typical g/sq dm values for indoor scale models?  Your feedback appreciated.

I tend to use the delightfully clunky 'grams to square inches' but as wing loading varies with model size I've been using the cube loading rule to assess models and decide on target weights: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=11881.0

The Skua looks about right when compared some of the more detailed and painted models but perhaps a teeny bit heavy when compared to the lightest kit scale models.

Cube values for the three you mentioned
Skua          5.6
Bird Dog     5.4
Lysander     9.9

Some of the lighter models in kit scale are coming in at under 4 and as a result fly really slowly (which the judges like): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoajoE1GwRk

A Bostonian at the minimum 14g will be at 3.1.

The Lizzie is bound to be a bit tricky due to the small wing area/big fuselage.

I haven't looked closely at the loadings in the open classes but since they only need 15 seconds to qualify they can afford to be a bit heavier. Peanut loadings are relatively low as it's a duration class.

All in all they look quite healthy weights to me.

Jon
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »

Very nice indeed Mr. Sparrow  Smiley
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

I tend to use the delightfully clunky 'grams to square inches' but as wing loading varies with model size I've been using the cube loading rule to assess models and decide on target weights: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=11881.0

The Skua looks about right when compared some of the more detailed and painted models but perhaps a teeny bit heavy when compared to the lightest kit scale models.

Thanks for the reply and info about weights Jon. I will look at the link provided.
I didn't intend these for kit scale competition, rather to look at alternative building and covering use mainly for outdoor flying.  As I said before I am not keen on see-through scale models, although I suppose they have their charms.  The Lysander was built to try the Lost Foam construction method using information sent to me by, I think, Tom Arnold although I haven't been able to track the details - might be in the loft somewhere.......  The KK Lysander was the first kit that I had when about 6 years old.  The full-size was state of art at that time!  Suffice to say that broken razor blades and lack of experience meant that I never finished it.

I only went to the Velodrome as it is not far away, and I love cycling and thought that I might see some of my heroes.  I was surprised to get the Bird Dog flying as well as it did after reducing the motor size to stop it climbing into the lights!  Will be back for sure.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »

Very nice indeed Mr. Sparrow  Smiley

Thanks Mike, probably inspired by Ray Jennings at Tatton Park  Wink.

Not up to your standard but then I prefer Coupes, although I am getting a bit too ancient for hunting down models in crops as it is getting dark. 
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »

I wish I was up to Mike's standards too! .... sorry Spadge, I'm Russ. Mike was there first with 'ff' at the front of his name (ffscale) .... I'm happy to be mistaken for him though!

EDIT: prompted a name change that I have been thinking about for a while!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:24:17 PM by RussLister » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »

Thanks Russ- I usually muddle things the other way and mistake Mike's fairly rare posts for yours. Mind you, it doesn't take much to confuse me!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »

Well, at least that's got me out of the way  Sad
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 04:31:03 AM »

Absolutely spiffing - lovely to see evidence that real aeromodelling is alive and well and still very much practiced!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 04:36:09 AM »

Well, at least that's got me out of the way  Sad
Huh I'm not sure what you mean, Russ. I was only thanking you for making things clearer for my poor brain. I'll probably always be slightly befuddled till everyone uses their own name. As I say, it doesn't take much to throw me.

Spadge, I was intrigued by your lost-foam Lizzie. I didn't realise till you told me  that the foam could be just chipped out, rather than dissolving it in something nasty. Might actually try it some time.
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »

Spadge, I was intrigued by your lost-foam Lizzie. I didn't realise till you told me  that the foam could be just chipped out, rather than dissolving it in something nasty. Might actually try it some time.

A couple of hours should see most of it cleared and then a brush wetted out in cellulose thinners gets rid of the bits of glue on the joints.  It makes a bit of a mess but I thought it better than trying to dispose of a litre of cellulose thinners/foam solution. 

As to the confusion, it is a way of life. Smiley
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:56 AM »

I wish I was up to Mike's standards too! .... sorry Spadge, I'm Russ. Mike was there first with 'ff' at the front of his name (ffscale) .... I'm happy to be mistaken for him though!

EDIT: prompted a name change that I have been thinking about for a while!

I've changed my name too.  I never understood the reason for strange usernames but thought that it was somehow necessary.  Thanks for the prompt Russ.

ps.  I am sure that your models are better than mine anyway.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

Hang on - are you saying these aren't all real names? No wonder they can't find Lord Lucan.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

Ralph, I am inspired by the Skua but can't see it in the gallery. The Battle looks just as nice. I need another project - I've only got 6 on the go
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »

Ralph, I am inspired by the Skua but can't see it in the gallery. The Battle looks just as nice. I need another project - I've only got 6 on the go

Bill, I can't see it in there either - could be a memory lapse.  It is in the Outerzone list.  If you look at www.collectair.com there is a picture of a kit for one of the 30" versions as mentioned by Mark Braunlich in #2 of this thread and some history of Megow.  I don't know if it is original or replica kit.  The printwood balsa looks wonderful.  The decal sheet shows the cockpit frame layout that seems to solve how that part was constructed.  The plan looks the same as mine and was probably just reduced photographically from 30" to 15".

I too like the Fairey Battle. 

RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »

Jon   Thanks for that.  Have downloaded it and will try to digest.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

Ralph, so yours is 15"? The Battle, at 30", has a structure I would use at 15"! I don't like the way the tailplane is stuck on either side, and the wing has no visible means of support.
I would build mine for the new outdoor kit scale class at the May Nats where I can scale it to about 25". Then the wing might stay on.
They are interesting subjects for a US kit manufacturer, aren't they?
Bill
RalphS
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »

Ralph, so yours is 15"? The Battle, at 30", has a structure I would use at 15"! I don't like the way the tailplane is stuck on either side, and the wing has no visible means of support.
I would build mine for the new outdoor kit scale class at the May Nats where I can scale it to about 25". Then the wing might stay on.
They are interesting subjects for a US kit manufacturer, aren't they?
Bill

Yes 15".  Perhaps they designed the Battle at 15" and the doubled it up using the new Acme enlarger/reducer they had just purchased. Grin

I wasn't aware of scale at the May Nats.  I stopped going to the FF Nats after getting hypothermia (not kidding) one year - I did win P30 in that state though.

Agree about the interesting subjects.  I have seen too many KK and Veron scale models (only kidding) that is why I went for the Guillows Bird Dog and the Skua.

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

Jon   Thanks for that.  Have downloaded it and will try to digest.

No problems Ralph. There's no need to get overly into the theory really (that thread got a bit bogged down!) I just punch in the wing area and see what target weights come out. I aim for a cube loading of 3-4 (all up) for indoor, although 5-6 is still very fly-able.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »

Huh I'm not sure what you mean, Russ.

Sorry Pete .... as an artist, the most artistic thing about me is my temperament  Sad
When drawing it is useful to check on the 'negative shapes' ... those shapes that fit in between the main objects of a composition.
I think I found a negative that wasn't really there.
I've had the domain 'freeflightmodeller' for a long time now and have still not used it to it's full potential yet ... I do feel I'm giving up on it a bit by changing my name.
Having said that, I do like when you know instantly who you are talking to with other members so it's not a real problem.

Ralph,
I remember seeing your mini-vintage models more than your coupes ... I'll have to have a look next time I can in the field.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »

The Megow's plan for the Blackburn Skua is in the 'Outdoor Rubber Powered Scale' section. SHOULD be in "MODEL COMPANIES"-MEGOW MODELS, but it's not.
Use keyword SKUA when searching.
Dave
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:04:33 PM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

Got it. Thanks Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up