Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2019, 04:20:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress  (Read 6670 times)
RRCA
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
TOWIE - The Only Way Is ELECTRIC!!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »

Ok I think you have all waited long enough for it and now I have sorted the plans for it I might as well let you in on it Smiley

I'm keeping to the theme of the Fortress's shall we say. This time I am going bigger still with a B-52G Stratofortress.

http://www.wingsovereurope.com/postwar%20military%20aircrafts%20gallery_1/B-52%20Stratofortress%20%284%29.jpg

This monster will have an approx wingspan of 180" (15ft) and be powered by 8 x 12 Blade High-Performance 90mm EDF Ducted Fan Units. Carbon fiber reinforced Nylon rotor with shaft adaptor to motor in either 5mm or 8mm. Revs max 45000rpm and powered by 8 x Warhead 3545-1350KV EDF Motors and 8 x 80Amp ESC's run off 4 x 6C 22.6V Lipos.

Construction from mainly foam and balsa/ply. Scale fully working Fowler flaps and fully working twist and rotating retracts, bomb doors and nav lights. Big old project but gonna be awesome, but like I have said on the other forums for this build, it's not going to interfere with the build of the 29 I'm doing at this time. I will be completing the construction of the B-29's airframe minimum first before I start the Buff, but because the B-29 was powering along so quick, even quicker now I've decided to cut the wings from polyfoam, I needed to start thinking what to do next as a build project, but wanted something mightily impressive in size even compared to the Superfortress. It was a tough choice as I had many options to go with from aircraft such as the Shackleton, Super Connie, DC-6, Tu95 Bear and even another Lancaster. Then someone mentioned to me, 'Why a prop job, why not a jet?' It was a valid point, so the choices expanded. Whatever it was I was going to build it was going to be 15ft in span and the choices then became the B-52, the Vulcan, a Victor or an XB-70. It was a fight between the Buff and the Vulcan and the Buff won, however, if the build and subsequent flight of the B-52 is successful with the method of construction I am using, then a Vulcan will not be far behind, that I will promise  Cool

New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress

NEXT PROJECT- 180" B-52 Stratofortress
Lindy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »

Whoa!... Now all you need is Maj. Kong! Grin

Obscurum per obscurius
-the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »

Whoa!... Now all you need is Maj. Kong! Grin

Hehe  Grin Tell me about it!

I've decided that I want some big birds in my home (and I'm referring to model aircraft before anyone quotes me on that comment Wink ) so the next four builds are all gonna be big my friend  Smiley

Lindy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 07:53:47 PM »

Did you give any consideration to the B-1-B Lancer a.k.a. "Bone"? Variable geometry wing and Fowler flaps. OTOH the LG on the 52 along with the flaps will prove a challenge. Are you renting hanger space at the airport? I live on 40 acres and don't know if I'd have room Cheesy

Obscurum per obscurius
-the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »

I live on my own so storage isn't an issue. If I wanna hang the Buff from the ceiling of my frontroom I will Smiley

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

Oh for a Brabazon,  I can't ever recall a model of one. Undecided
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »

Only control line,  in England waaaay back
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Oh for a Brabazon,  I can't ever recall a model of one. Undecided

A Brabazon was featured in a very early issue of Flying Scale Models. It was powered by electric motors, had contra props (I think) and the motors were supported by carbon fibre space frames. That is a about all that can remember about the model. I am fairly certain that David Boddington was the editor.

I kept those early issues for a long time (beginning with the very first) but space is at a premium around here so they eventually had to be given away.

Paul
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »

I think the model was built by Dave Chinery and was quite large.I remeber teh carbon space frame motor mounts and it did have contra rotating props.
Dave has made a series of large scale RC electric models.
John
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »

Wrong. I still have that issue of Flying Scale Models. November/December 1999.

The props are not contra-rotating,. The builder was John Menhennett. There must have been another electric powered Brabazon featured somewhere because this model is powered by four 4-stroke Laser engines.

Later today I will scan and post the magazine cover, unless someone else does it first.

Paul

John got in first with more accurate info about the electric Brabazon while I was typing this.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2014, 01:30:08 AM »

Here is a scan of the Flying Scale Models magazine cover.

The scan was done with a cheap Epson XP-100 all-in-one. The colours have been reproduced reasonably well except for the round sticker over "November/December".
The actual colour of that sticker is fluoro orange/red which clearly is beyond the gamut of the scanners colour space.

Paul
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »

Thank you Chaps - is that not a really nice aeroplane? I remember seeing it once or twice - so elegant in the air!

Just the kind of model for Monique............... what say you all?   
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2014, 08:54:05 AM »

Wow. A XB-70 (my favorite airplane of all time) with a 15ft wingspan would give you a length of 28ft.

That would be pretty impressive!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »

Wow I disappear a few and my thread goes awol!! Haha Cheesy
A Brabazon was one of the prop jobs I considered but the contra props put me off, the length of the XB-70 put me off that. As for the complexity of the B-52 landing gear its actually very simple and I'm not going to lie I've already tried it with two main twist and turn units. I'm now trying to sort the steering, that's the hard part, their are no main twist and turn units on the market with all wheel steering for aircraft this size or weight of around 30lbs

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 127

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »

Thank you Chaps - is that not a really nice aeroplane? I remember seeing it once or twice - so elegant in the air!

Just the kind of model for Monique............... what say you all?  
She's already got a Shackleton in the works...

Re: B-52 "BUFF"...
8 x 90mm fans... I hope you're NOT considering anything from HK!  They work well but there is only one EDF that I'd consider anywhere adequate for what you have in mind, that would give you a chance to heft that beast with enough reserve.  They are defnitely NOT inexpensive, but are light years ahead of anything else in weight and power/efficiency - especially when used with the suggested motors.

http://www.schuebeler-jets.de/en/

You're looking more towards 55+ lbs of airplane with all those "extras".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:35:15 AM by Pit » Logged

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

Quick update guys. Unfortunately the B-29 build has had to come to a halt because I am now out of work sadly, however the plans for the B-52 have been completed and the start of this bomber and the new thread for it will commence once the B-29 has been completed  Smiley

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »

Oh dear, sorry to hear that and hope you will get things sorted soon.  Just be careful that you do not (as I did) get smitten with the idea of not having to go to work every day.
Bulldogger
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

Condolences and best of luck at finding a new position quickly.  Always an anxious state to be in.
alex
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »

Thank you both

Saint Alfonzo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

.. Wight Air Wrecks..

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2014, 03:33:28 AM »

I'm in the same boat, no job, I but I'm at that age where the job centre says I have to look, but I'm actually not going to look very hard! The downside is of course, less wonga.. the upside is.. more time for balsa bashing.. Every cloud has a silver lining etc etc..
If you're looking then I wish you good luck..Smiley   Roll Eyes

To infinity and beyond........
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »

Yes - I think I know how you feel - I succumbed to being "free" for a couple of years! A rehearsal for retirement.  Must say I found the people at the job centre very entertaining - in a perverse way! The lack of perception and the inability to deal with people who might be distressed was incredible.  I went of a course (as then one had to) and they discovered I knew more than the person taking the course because at one of the "breaks" I was asked if I would take over Sad Shocked Huh Embarrassed :'(

So when things get a bit glum maybe you will have similar experiences that will make you laugh! Or cry?  Perhaps I was at a slight advantage as my unemployment was to a degree voluntary.

Chins up both - things are on an upturn the papers say - and they are always truthful. 
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »

Unless it comes from the Sun the Mirror or the Daily Star lol

Anyway, I have been thinking. I wonder what the outcome would be if I could produce a simple but quick easy to put together kit or a model aircraft cut from foam and sheeted in balsa (30 second pause there while I watch 3 Apache Gunships fly over my home) I would only need the templates for one and then just cut away :/

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

Good luck - hope you are able to finish off the B 29 soon.
Another forced retiree
John
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Good luck - hope you are able to finish off the B 29 soon.
Another forced retiree
John

Trust me John the 29 will be finished. Like all aircraft whether model or full size restorations, they all need an influx of money to keep them alie and they always come through......so will this and my B-52 that will follow Smiley

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:45 AM »

30 second pause there while I watch 3 Apache Gunships fly over my home)

Ahhhh .... that is where they went? Did not see them properly - could well have been from Wattisham perhaps which is only a few minutes flying time - or maybe Lakenheath also not far?

So are you looking at kit production then? I do get the impression that cottage industries in our "hobby" do reasonably well. And of course the "net" helps immensely.  There is a heavy market for ATRFs etc. and good quality ones should appeal to the chap (or chappess) who perseveres beyond his first model.

Nought to lose I suppose?  Haver fun then?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: