Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 06:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress  (Read 6796 times)
RRCA
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
TOWIE - The Only Way Is ELECTRIC!!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:34 PM »

The rudder went together again really well and gave a good strong frame. You can also see in the first image the holes for the servo and the lead and the slots cut in the above rib to allow access to the grub screws with the hex key.

The rudder dry fitted to the fin looks the part and its here in the stages before sanding down and took a couple of pics of the servo mounted with the control rods in place so hopefully you will see what I'm trying to do and the last image gives you a bit of reference to how big the whole thing is.

I'm loving this build  Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress

NEXT PROJECT- 180" B-52 Stratofortress
Blooper
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »

i am also loving this build.  Grin

keep going.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 127

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »

Super interesting  build!  Are you keeping notes on the weight progression?

...extra effort has been made to ensure it does not fail although the rudder isn't really critical in flight even if it does.
Don't neglect  Murphy's Law: If a servo is going to fail it WILL drive over to the mechanical stop...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

This build will I am sure be most entertaining and absorbing.  Crack on old chap - no pressure of course but we need a daily fix please!

Did I send you these?

Lindy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »

Well it looks like you're off to a great start! If the vert. stab. is any indication, then I can't wait to see the rest of it. You're going to have a stunner on your hands.

Obscurum per obscurius
-the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »

Super interesting  build!  Are you keeping notes on the weight progression?

...extra effort has been made to ensure it does not fail although the rudder isn't really critical in flight even if it does.
Don't neglect  Murphy's Law: If a servo is going to fail it WILL drive over to the mechanical stop...

I can't believe I forgot about the mechanical stop with the servo's. Yea Murphy needs to do one when it comes to me flying this model haha  Cheesy As for the weight, yes I am keeping a firm eye on it and I'm trying to reduce the weight where ever possible

This build will I am sure be most entertaining and absorbing.  Crack on old chap - no pressure of course but we need a daily fix please!

Did I send you these?

You ain't on your own Dave I also need a daily fix haha however you might see at the times I post on here I'm a bit of a late night/early hours person so the post will be here just at stupid o'clock times and no you didn't to the pics mate so thanks for those Smiley

Well it looks like you're off to a great start! If the vert. stab. is any indication, then I can't wait to see the rest of it. You're going to have a stunner on your hands.

Thank you my friend. It's taken me 3 odd days now on and off to get this far with the rudder but really happy with the progress. The only thing thats going to stop me is work and running out of wood and materials but fingers crossed Smiley

Anyway onwards and upwards as they say. Time for a few more images.......

The first image (thats provided they upload in the sequence I picked them) shows the hinge fitted at the lower of the fin. You can see where the three holes from the hinge stick out. Here I will be sliding 3 cocktail sticks and epoxying them to the back section where the hinge comes out. The next shot shows the whole fin and rudder assembly hinged together (dry) followed by the home made control horn. This is made from aluminium with holes drilled in the ends for the rods. A slot was cut in a section of measured to fit 1/4 x 1/4 balsa where it was CA glued in place then over the face of the balsa a piece of 1/16 a 1/4 ply was glued to hold it in. The whole thing was then soaked in CA glue and left to harden and then glued to the back face of the rudders leading edge as you can just see in the next shot but clearer in the one after. The rods were then connected to the servo and the control horn as you can see and it was tested...............it worked!  Grin

Really happy with the progress so far and the next stage now is to cover the fin and make the access panels for the servo etc.

More pics and stuff later  Wink

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »

Hi guys  Smiley

Got a fair few pics to put up tonight as I didn't come on here yesterday.

Progress has been good. Sheeted the fin in 1/32 sheet. I roughly cut the shape out for each side ( note the grain direction) and used CA glue to join them together over foil and no I'm not covering the model with kitchen foil before someone asks haha Wink I then glued them to the frame of the fin. I started at the trailing edge of the fin running CA down the spine and then glued it to the ribs rolling the skin down as I worked my way forward to the leading edge then finished by glueing the bottom then repeated for the other side but cut out a panel for access to the servo beforehand. Getting to the servo is now easy and enables me to make any adjustment including removing the servo if needed.

Final Image shows the completed fin and rudder prior to sanding the edges round. Very happy and oh yea and all up weight 80grams so far Smiley

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2013, 11:26:39 PM »

Tailplane and Elevator

The tailplane has two spars, the rear straight and the front angled and is a one peice section that is tapered to the tips and also has a slight dihedral built into it. You can see the tabs on the spars used to keep the dihedral accurate while adding the ribs. This also eliminates warping. The ribs are cut out as complete ribs however after fitting, the six inner ribs have the rear sections cut off and the tip rib and inside but one rib have the rear sections copied. These are put too one side and used later to build up the elevators.

Next the leading edge was added along with the tip blocks and trailing edges. The trailing edge is glued to the rear of the tips and last three ribs and when dry cut flush with the tip rib and inner rib. This then becomes the trailing edge for the elevators. Once dried the whole frame was turned over and the carbon fibre rod fitted to the lower of the main spar and epoxied into place.

The sections cut from the rear of the ribs were then glued to the trailing edges and trimmed. 1/4 sheet front leading edge sections tapered were then fitted where the hinged system will go. These were then sanded to shape and lined up with the tailplane. Fitted perfectly Cheesy I couldn't resist placing the fin and rudder on top and then visualising haha but god it looks epic!!  Grin

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »

The tailplane was sanded to shape and the skin for the underside made from 1/32 sheet and joined as before like the fin and applied, again rolling it down from the trailing edge to the leading edge and went on without any issues. This was then trimmed.

Thats as far as I have got so far. Next will be fitting the servo's and making the mounts for the control horns on the elevators followed by skinning the top.

Back later with the rest of the progress then its time to start the fuselage Smiley

Rob

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 01:55:20 AM »

Its looking good RRCA.
John
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

Its looking good RRCA.
John

Thanks John Smiley

Just for the record and for all those others that have pm'd me my name is Rob Smiley

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

Just keeping you up to date with the B-29 guys. I have not done any to her today basically because I have ran out of wood. Back at work tomorrow also but will be ordering first thing friday morning all the wood I need to start building the mammoth task that is the fuselage. Here is what I need to order to complete this part of the build:-

1/16x4x36 = 12 sheets
1/8 x4x36 = 7 sheets
1/4 x4x36 = 4 sheets
1/8 x1/8x36 = wait for it.........72 haha

I may order the wood for the wings as well but if I do then I will be pushing close to spending £100 on wood and that really is not a good idea at the moment so I will just see how the progress of the fuselage goes for now and wait a couple of week to get the wood for the wings. I still, despite designing the Fowler flap hinges, need to look and revise the plan for the wings flap system. This also is going to take some time because I need to modify the construction of the wings to fit them. Anyway I will continue to update as and when I can guys.

Also anyone interested in following the progress of the B-29 plus all my other antics I get up to please feel free to like and follow me on my Facebook page Robs Radio Controlled Aircraft Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/RobsRadioControlledAircraft

Rob

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »

I could not wait till Friday. I have just ordered the wood for the bomber haha Smiley

Lindy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »

Here is what I need to order to complete this part of the build:-

1/16x4x36 = 12 sheets
1/8 x4x36 = 7 sheets
1/4 x4x36 = 4 sheets

Two or three bedrooms?...  Grin

Obscurum per obscurius
-the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:45 AM »

Here is what I need to order to complete this part of the build:-

1/16x4x36 = 12 sheets
1/8 x4x36 = 7 sheets
1/4 x4x36 = 4 sheets

Two or three bedrooms?...  Grin

Haha I know right? Cheesy Imaging how much if I ordered the wood for the wings as well. It would be double that! Smiley

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

That is a few bits of timber - and guessed you could not wait!  Where do you get your wood?  

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:04 AM »

That is a few bits of timber - and guessed you could not wait!  Where do you get your wood?  

It is isn't it? Smiley I get it from Balsamart/Blackburn Models http://www.balsamart.co.uk/store/ They are really quick and dispatch your orders the same day. I had a confirmation email from them yesterday saying that it was dispatched and will be delivered Monday. Bit disappointed about monday as was hoping it would be here today (Saturday) so I could get straight on with the building of the fuselage but hey ho. I'm making the formers, well 90% of them, from 6mm depron to keep the weight down, a material I have an abundance of, so I will start cutting them out today so at least when the wood does arrive I can go straight into the construction.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »

Never mind - usefully occupied in the meantime. I was just interested where you got your timber because the days are gone when you could amble into the model shop a short bike ride away and select what you wanted. We are fortunate having Slec 20 minutes away. And they seem about 10p or 15p a sheet cheaper than Balsamart - whose un-discounted prices are a bit steep?  I have found for regular customers Slec will discount as well on some orders.

I have tried to find some of the mechanical detail for the Fowler flaps without success but will keep looking.   
Saint Alfonzo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

.. Wight Air Wrecks..

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »

Hi Rob.. Just wondering what CAD programme you use?? Smiley
( Great build btw and had a look at your facebook page too, some nice stuff there too)

To infinity and beyond........
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 127

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

There was a build on one of the YahooGroups back around 2003-4.  I don't recall which aircraft it was (prolly a bomber, but the builder developed a Fowler setup that worked and was documented with lots of pics and diagrams - might have created a dedicated file for the design.

Finding anything on Yahoo is a royal PITA, but it is there.

@ Saint Alfonzo:  See reply #21

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »

My balsa wood has arrived Smiley

Gonna get some sleep as been on nights then its on with the 29's fuselage Cheesy

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 12:25:54 AM »

Finally after three days I'm back with the progress of the B-29 Smiley

Fuselage

Right here we go. Finally after a couple of days tracing and cutting out we have the construction of the fuselage under way. In order as they are here first we have laid out on the floor on top of the reference plan all the wood cut out and ready to go for the fuselage. Next procedure was to lay out on the plan the centre keel upper and lower sections, These were pinned down and CA glue was used to join all six sections, three on top three on the bottom.

I then followed on with gluing all the 22 formers in order but leaving off the front number 1 former, becasuse this cannot be glued in place until the side keel is added. Once the formers were set I then added the side keel and former number 1. This was where the first of two times I was bobbing it incase it didn't fit very well. I must of done something right because it did fit and it all lined up perfectly.

I then added the wing mount section, part two of bobbing it cause again was worried it didn't fit. Wrong again Smiley It droppped straight into place and lined up spot on. The slots you can see are for the wing braces. These are 3/16 ply x 2 and will slide into box sections glued to formers 7 and 8 and then held in place by two removable bolts, so the wings can be removed for transport perposes of coarse Smiley

Once happy all was dry and lined up, then it was onto the ridiculously boring task of addin the stringers, all 25 of them! Anyway as you can see this is where I am now. I will leave it too dry for the day and then I can remove it from the plan and review the location of the front retract bay and bomb bays. The rear bomb bay will be mainly for access to the fuselage join bolts just aft of the wing. This is held in place by four 6mm dowels passing through formers 13 and 12A, going into aluminium tubes located in formers 12 and 11 and again secured with two bolts.

So there we have it. Well chuffed and steaming along. More to come hopefully very soon Cheesy

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »

Continuing on from yesterday the fuselage is coming along very nicely.

The fuselage formers on the opposite side have been lightly glue tacked into place and also 1/8 square strips added to keep everything straight. Then I added the side keel and wing root and followed on with the slow task of adding all the stringers once again. The polystyrene box with the semi circular sections cut out aided me well during this process of the build enabling me to rotate the fuselage as I worked my way around the airframe.

12 hours later and we have a fuselage, resembling what can only be described as close as I would get to a framed model of the Zepplin airship  Grin

Anyway now dry, I will cut out the upper hatch out that will give me access to the wing securing bolts and electrics then I will split the two halves apart very carefully I might add and then I will be adding a bay floor as well as making the bomb bay and front retract bay and making the neccasary adjustments to fit them plus adding the aluminium tubes and dowls where the fuselage splits for transport before glueing the two havles permenantly back together with 30 minute epoxy

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

I couldn't help but place the tailplane and fin on the aircraft and stood back. It looked well impressive......and big!

As for weight watchers, airframe as done here - 258grams. Total all up weight of all build sections together - 443grams (15.5ozs)

Anyway more to follow soon guys

Rob
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:39:21 PM by RRCA » Logged

Monique

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »

Very cool Rob! Nice using the Depron formers on non critical areas Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up