Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 12:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress  (Read 7079 times)
RRCA
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
TOWIE - The Only Way Is ELECTRIC!!

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »

Very cool Rob! Nice using the Depron formers on non critical areas Smiley

Thank you my friend. Its all adding to keeping the weight down as you will see from the figures I have just added. Also to note, when I cut the depron formers out I alternated the direction of flexibility on them, i.e. they bend less in one direction than the other, kinda like a plywood effect if you know what I mean? Smiley

NEXT PROJECT- 180" B-52 Stratofortress
Blooper
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »

going great sir.

it is going to be a beaut when finished.

say jan 1st for completion date then. Grin
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

going great sir.

it is going to be a beaut when finished.

say jan 1st for completion date then. Grin

Optemist lol......but thank you anyway. A lot of it depends on the funding for it really. I still have the expensive parts to get yet like the retracts, motors, ESC's and Lipo's. That lot alone is gonna set me back around the 200 quid mark and unfortunately, build progress cannot continue until I have some of said parts as I don't really wanna do too much guess work. I can't afford to make a mistake with the build thus yet Smiley

Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

Very cool Rob! Nice using the Depron formers on non critical areas Smiley

Thank you my friend. Its all adding to keeping the weight down as you will see from the figures I have just added. Also to note, when I cut the depron formers out I alternated the direction of flexibility on them, i.e. they bend less in one direction than the other, kinda like a plywood effect if you know what I mean? Smiley

Yup, I've just discovered building with Depron, busy with a largeish Buccaneer Wink Great material once you get the hang of it. Though I'm using the grey which is apparently a bit less brittle than the white.

I wanted to ask: Are you going to be planking the fus between the stringers?
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »

I wanted to ask: Are you going to be planking the fus between the stringers?

Their are some sections on the fuselage that I will be planking in between for strengthening purposes, like where the wing root is and the retract and bomb bay areas but 98% of the airframe is goin to be skinned on the outside with 1/16 sheet

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »

Rob, your progress is phenomenal. And your workmanship top hole! And for me, still living in the dark age, educational.

I must watch this topic regularly so as to be able to book the coach in good time and not miss the maiden flight!! Wink

Oh,  word of warning - do be careful working in the bomb bay. On the "real thing" when on the ground they were left open and had a habit of self closing without warning. Could have been somewhat irritating if one was standing inside. So ground crews took to wedging a baulk of timber in place to prevent this!
Lindy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »

Whew! You're really coming along on this project. I've never worked with Depron, how different is it to work with than balsa, and what glue are you using on it?

Obscurum per obscurius
-the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »

Thank you for continuing to follow my progress guys. Its really good to have you all on board with me.

Dave I have heard of that bomb bay problem so I will leae puting the doors on till last for you haha Cheesy

Lindy depron is great to use. Its really light and strong material. The white depron is more brittle than the grey depron as the grey is softer but white I have always used. It can be flexed less in one direction, cuts really easy and can be sanded. You may note that I have however only used it in none critical areas purely because I do not trust it enough to support wing bracings etc so balsa has still been used in these areas. As for glue, I have found that if I apply contact adhesive like cynoacrylate to the surface it drys quick enough wihout desolin the material however if applied to a cut surface it will melt it rather quick so in these areas I use normal white wood glue as it bonds really well with any desolving.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »

You can use accelerator for the CA joints.  Thick or medium viscosity CA has proven to be better on Depron than the thin variety.  Of course, if you can get your hands on foam-safe CA (Pacer/ZAP or Satellite City "HOT STUFF").

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 05:15:43 AM »

Hot glue guns are also really good yo use on demon or abyss foam to be fair. It dries quick and has no dissolving issues at all.

I have progressed somewhat on the B-29 but have not had chance to upload images. As I am at work at the moment Wednesday is going to be the probable time for this so by then should have many more images for you all to see Smiley

Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

UHU Por is really good to use too.
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »

So here we are again finally with an update on the B-29  Smiley

After successfully seperating the two fuselage halves, with no twisting of either thankfully, I was able to divide the front and rear sections also without issue, I was able to drill and add the aluminium tubes and dowels for joining the two sections after transporting. The alloy tubes were located in the forward section with ply reinforcing and the two front fuselage halves glued thoroughly back together and then the upper decking was added where the electrics will be placed once all was dry. The dowls were then added and again reinforced to the rear section and again the rear fuselage sections glued back together. Once dry I test fitted the front and rear sections to make sure all lined up perfectly and they did Cheesy
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2013, 02:52:07 AM »

Next a horizontal plywood bracket was made for each side of the two halves with spacers fitted and these were drilled with a 6mm dia hole for the wing bolt being used to pull the two sections together. The steel bolt you see is just temporary until I can get hold of a proper plastic bolt. As you can see from the following shot all goes toether well.

Next it was time to fit the bomb bays, so I seperated the two sections and turned the fuselage over. A very basic box was added to the front bay more to keep it strong in that area really although it will still look good once finished and still have operating doors. Likewise for the rear bay, however this was slightly modified as it is going to be the area I use to allow access to the rear fuselage joining bolts. Constuction was the same apart from the large section cut away for the access. Another floor panel was then made and added over the top held in place by four small self tappers in each corner. The tiny holes were drilled for these screws and then I added CA glue to each to harden the wood and stop it splitting. Again as you can see from the picture it looks fine.

Then it was time to add the front wheel bay. Now, you may recall I was having issues regarding the front wheel alignment because the oleo on a 29's front leg is forward of 90 degrees. Keeping it scale, I was having issues with the wheel retracting in the full size tacky mock up I made. Positioning the retract unit at an angle to compensate for this meant when the wheels retracted, they hung low out the fuselage so this meant the bay doors would not shut. You will see what I mean in the last two images here.............after studying closer at image of the full size bomber, an 'Oh my god'!! moment errupted

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »

Following on, I noticed that the front oleo strut just above the top of the wheels, was kinked rearward where the suspension knuckle is! Well this changed everything! I modified my excellent mock up wheel strut, basically snapped it where the knuckle was and bent it back to the required angle and look what happened..... it retracted fully into the bay! Cheesy Happy Rob was an understatement Smiley

Anyway with that all sorted, the front retract bay was contructed, firstly from 1/16 balsa to make the templates, then when happy it all went together properly, these were duplicated in 1/8 ply to make a box section. The very front was cut away to allow fitting the box but slots were cut into the first to third formers mid way down and a 1/8 ply base was epoxied into place for the retract bay to be glued too, A ply front wall for former number one was also added to give strength to this area and once glued and postioned and lined up, it was heavily epoxied in place.

I have now been thoroughly sanding the whole fuselage and I am about ready to start skinning her.

And thats it for now guys. Hope you are all enjoying this build as much as I am. I fear it is ripping along rather rapidly. At this rate I will soon be thinking about what other large model aircraft I can build.......Tiny hint.....in the pipeline an Avro Shackleton Wink

Blooper
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »

what like this http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/MUDDYJLX/nats%202013/DSCF9092_zps18bac520.jpg

newark air museum.
i took quite a few pics as it is a model i wanted to build at some point.(if i ever get all the other builds finished)
New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »

That's the girl Smiley but I'm thinking the later mark with a tail dragger but is only in the pipeline like I say. I have others I'm interested in building. Lockheed Constellation, Bristol Brabazon and DC-6 to name a few.

Penflex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »

a tease to help you decide

Avro Shackleton MK III free flight model
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

Looking good. Will be nice to see it when its done. I could never build a model like that free flight. I would be worried it flew off never to be seen again lol

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »

Finally with the festive period well and truly scrapped, the more serious subject of updating the progress of the B-29 Superfortress can now continue. I hope you all had a great Christmas all the same Smiley

Now then, since my last update, a rather large chunk of the bomber has been done, in my standards anyway. You will recall on my final chapter before the festiities arrived I was about to sand the front section of the fuselage ready for skinning. This has now been done and I decided to plank the structure diagonally using 1/16 sheet balsa strips 1/2 inch wide. This has proven to be successful, albeit a rather long process.

The six images below show the process from start to finish before trimming. The more difficult areas were around the wing root section of the fuselage. For this area I planked upto the root and cut the strip at 90 degrees where it met the root, leaving me small elongated triangular sections to fill after. Because the surrounding areas of he root between stringers was filled with 1/8 sheet, this gave me a solid surface to CA the triangular sections too once cut to size.

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »

This set of six images show the fuselage sections bolted back together. Some of the triangular sections still need to be added and the planking trimmed. This bolting back together process was merely a test to check planking the front section had not bent or twisted the framework and as you can see it is all still good. One slight alteration or modification I did however make was were the two sections join, I noticed a small amount of movement vertically was present. So I decided to drill two 4mm holes opposite one another at the top and the bottom of the formers that butt up together. I then cut out four 1 inch square 1/8 ply sections and also drilled these with a 4mm hole through the middle. I then Epoxied a 3M nut over the hole on two of the ply squares and again epoxied these to the inner areas over the holes on the rear sections former passing a 3M bolt through the hole to keep it all lined up. I then repeated the process on the other two 1 inch ply squares, this time with a 3M 1 inch diameter washer. These were then epoxied to the inner sections over the holes on the former on the front section of the fueslage, again using a 3M bolt to keep it all lined up. Once the epoxy set, I slid the two sections back together and bolted it all up. As well as the 6mm bolt in the middle, the two new 3mm bolts now made everything strong and movement free. Slight cutting away of the inner sections of two of the formers in the front fuselage section was needed to allow me access to the new bolts but has not altered the strength of the model so all is good.

Once again I added the tailplane and fin to the rear section dry, just to stand back and look at the progress of this monster model. The last image you can just see the 1 inch diameter washer and 3mm screw bolt head, just below and left of the main centre 6mm bolt.

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »

The first image you can see the ply plate that travels from the front former back through the second and third formers that the front retract bay is epoxied too underneath. This ply floor will also make for good Lipo battery positioning incase I need to shift the CG forward more after set up.

The following images are of the building of the rear bomb bay doors. These were made by using the inner walls of the bay area to get the correct curve for the doors. Four curved sections were made and a sheet of 1/16 x 4 was cut too length and scored all the way down 1/4 inch apart. This allowed me to acheive a curve in the sheet. I then glued the four sections to the sheet and allowed it to dry. I then marked the centre point of the hatch and carefully cut it down the middle seperating the two doors. This was then followed by trimming back the curved sections to give me a better looking less drag free door when open in flight. Test fitting to the bomber was then carried out and at was great, although one door did need a little steam and a twist to remove a peskie warp but it all lined up good. Don't be, like I was, put off by the seemingly totally out of line bomb bay doors in the image where they are shut. It is what I think they call an optical illusion because the direction I have planked the fuselage. Trust me, I measured, lined up, angle checked, god knows how many times before I was convinced haha Cheesy

Anyway thats it for now guys. For all you weight watchers out there, total all up weight of everything constructed so far......... 455grams (16.0ozs)

Lindy
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

Amazing progress... I like the spiral planking, but it leaves me thinking that it would be "bugger all" to ever have to repair Shocked

Obscurum per obscurius
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »

Its a really strong method of skinning and what repairs? If this crashes I don't think repairs will come into it Haha anyway hopefully we won't need any repairs

Lindy
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »

Well I was thinking of my style of flying... Repair is a necessary skill Grin

Obscurum per obscurius
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »

Hey we all crash at some point. How regular we do it depends on how regular we fly I guess. I have at least one or two right offs a year easily, my Skyraider being the last one to bite the dust. Got a little too confident rolling low level shall we say and and a momentary lapse of reason made me pull up elevator while inverted........bang! :/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: