Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 12:13:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress  (Read 7073 times)
RRCA
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
TOWIE - The Only Way Is ELECTRIC!!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

I have an interview in the morning and if all goes well the B-29 will be steaming back into action within the next two weeks as well as somethin else.....something else not Boeing so its not the Buff, although she is still being built after the 29 is completed  Smiley

So keep everything crossed guys and hopefully tomorrow I will have good news  Wink

NEXT PROJECT- 180" B-52 Stratofortress
Bulldogger
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:19 AM »

Best of luck!
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »

Its good news week.....I now am back in work and the B-29 will be continuing shortly  Grin

soarbird
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

South Africa South Africa

I have control ???

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2014, 05:51:18 AM »

That is great news indeed.

Will be following closely.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »

YES! Happy for you, and waiting for a pic update on your gorgeous big lady . . .
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

Thank you guys Smiley

As an announcment to this news a long time has been taken to deciding the actual aircraft I will be modelling and can now tell you that I am going to be doing Boeing B-29 Superfortress 'Atomic Tom'
USAAF 19th BG, 30th BS, Kadena AFB, Japan, June 1950

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New Project-Big is beautiful B-29 Superfortress

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:55 AM »

As those of you following this thread may recall, I had an issue with the fuselage nose section being twisted slightly making the nose out of line by about 3/8 inch. The strength of the construction as it is means I cannot twist it back so I have no alternative but to cut the nose off right behind the third former. I will then make a duplicate #3 former and plug it into the other section of the fuselage with epoxy and then mix up some 5 minute epoxy and glue the nose back on in line with the rest of the fuselage. I'm then gonna cut away the outer skin an inch from the join on both sides and put 1/8 balsa infills between each and every other gap in the stringers and again on the other side of the join do the same but in the opposite position of the first side so when its all done it will look kinda like a checker board......following me so far? lol Cheesy

Then when this is all sanded and flush I'm going to make a 2 inch wide cross grain balsa band and epoxy it into place wrapping it around where I cut the skin away and then sanding it all flush once dry. Hopefully it will be strong enough to withstand the impact of landings without the nose breaking off every time I land but we will see Smiley

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »

A twist is really not nice unless it's the bakery kind Grin!  I would, however, NOT recommend 5 minute epoxy for the re-graft of the nose, or for any other use except (temporary) pre-tacking of parts.  By the time you've applied the gunk all the way around the former, it'll have almost cured where you started.

Even 15 minute hardener is questionable where structural integrity is involved.  Go with a good 30 minute resin/hardener (Pacer or West Systems) - the bit of extra time involved is worth the MUCH greater strength.  A couple or three toothpick pins will also help getting a secure graft.

Pete B.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »

Just caught up with this - well done with the employment.  Atomic Tom ? What a good choice!  I am now getting. Little impatient so you have had enough time off and suggest you get back to work! (Please).
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »

Thnks for the advice Pete and duely noted Smiley

David your really piling on the pressure now aren't you? Cheesy As with most jobs a week in hand or as in my case a month, needs to be done first but rest assured my first pay packet WILL include items required to complete the 29, also if funds allow it a new kit will be added to the stable ready for the spring warm weather for test flying along with the P-47, MX-2 and hopefully Spitfire dust offs Smiley

Patience my friend all in good time Wink

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »

Good luck with the new job.
John
RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »

Ok so the B-29 build is back under way after a period of time out due to lack of employment. As stated earlier the servo's Y leads and extension leads have finally arrived after a three month wait from the joke that is Hobbyking which means now I can start the process of attaching the tail surfaces and plugging in the servos and leads.

RRCA
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

So here we go again  Cheesy

Although not a lot has been done due to working I thought I would continue on with the progress reports all the same. I have been working mainly on the tail of the bomber and now I have got the leads and servo's I needed have now epoxied the tailplane and fin into place

The tail gunner section has also been built up and is now ready to have the windows cut out. The small peach thing at the back on top isn't a biscuit but the plug I am making for the gun turrets Smiley Everything all lines up perfectly now too
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

Alastair
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »

Nice work RRCA, looking forward to the next update!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: