Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 09:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P30 D/T  (Read 3622 times)
betocastrucci
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »

Wing off proved today, it's Amazing! The wing serves as a rotor and doesn't let speed grows, I could catch the plane twice before it hit the ground. Changing all of mine P30s to this system. Thanks all.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »

My Saturno  d/t's this way, too - very effective
betocastrucci
Bronze Member

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

the line that connects the fuselage and wing hanging around the branch is really hard to get out of the tree. Don't ask me how I know.

I agree. It's happened to me.
Dave

Me too!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Luck that my tree was not that tall, but I remembered Tapio's post. Nothing is entirely better Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
But in next flight, the model was caught by a strong termal (middle of summer here in Brazil) and climbed very high in the direction of Sun, that I could not see it anymore. After some tense seconds, I could see a missile falling to ground. If it was the old d/t I would loose another one, so I prefer to climb trees. A friend crono 32 seconds to fall, can imagine the height.
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »

I wanted to add my two cents on P-30 DTs.

I recently built my first P-30.  It was a Square Eagle.  A very experienced flyer friend recommended this kit for a beginner and said it was very competitive.  So I built it and covered it with MicroLite.  It was kind of messy looking and it came out at 55 grams. Oh well.  Most of my experience was in indoor rubber powered free flight - Penny Plane, etc. and some FAC scale outdoor models.

I used a pop-up stab DT.  For the timer I used a TOMY timer that I purchased from a friend that had been modified for outdoor free flight.  It is basically the guts of a Japanese wind up toy.  Each turn of the DT line around the drum is one minute.  I noticed that viscous timers are sometimes unreliable.  Here in California we are not allowed to used fuses because of the danger of starting a fire.  I think the same rules apply to the electronic DT timers that use a heated wire to cut the rubber band.  The TOMY timer mechanism weighs 3 grams but it is very reliable and the time does not vary with temperature.

Anyway, my friend helped me trim my Square Eagle.  "Down and right" are the words of wisdom on the thrust line. 

Then I won my first P-30 contest with my Square Eagle but I must admit it was beginner's luck.  I got two maxes based on thermals.  My third flight was well over a minute.  There were ten contestants.  One or two top fliers had their viscous timers trigger their DTs early.

I nearly lost my Square Eagle on one flight - I think it was a trim flight.  It caught a major thermal. The DT triggered on time, the stab popped up, but the plan kept climbing.  We lost sight of it (even with binoculars) and could not find it that day.  Several days later a friend found my Square Eagle for me.  It was a long way from where I launched it.  My Square Eagle has had several repairs due to hard landings, and I just finished fixing it again.  I am confident it will fly well the next time I fly it.

I now am putting together a Pirate that will use a pop-off wing set up, a TOMY timer mounted in the wing pylon, and a line from the wing tip to a swivel attachment on the tail end of the fuselage.  I am hoping it will come in much nearer to the 40 gram minimum weight.

I have also ordered an RF tracking system from Walston Retrieval Systems.   I plan to use it on my FAC airplanes.  I don't want to spend 40 hours building them, and then lose them.  I might put the transmitter in the wing pylon of the Pirate.  It only weighs 1 gram.  P.S. - we have no trees at, or near, our flying sites.  Dry grass at one site and mostly very dry dirt at the other - sort of a desert.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »

Band burner timers banned in CA? Since when and by who?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
calgoddard
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Effective October 28, 2011

SEC. 96.1.305.5. ROCKETS, MODEL AIRCRAFT AND SIMILAR DEVICES.

Section 305.5 is added to the California Fire Code to read:

Sec. 305.5 Rockets, model aircraft and similar devices. Rockets, model airplanes,
gliders and balloons powered with an engine, propellant or other feature liable to start or
cause a fire shall not be projected into or across hazardous fire areas without prior
approval of the fire code official. 
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »

Band burner timers banned in CA? Since when and by who?

I lived in NorCal in the mid 1990s, and the events I attended there were no burning fuse D/T systems. Everyone had a silly putty, Tomy, or other (I forget the name of the nice mechanical ones used by the F1C guys).

-Dave
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »

That could be interpreted in many ways. Personally I wouldn't include a band burner in the "liable to start or cause a fire" category.

Derek
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:11 PM »

Neither would I Derek.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »

The band burners we use could ever start a fire.They are on for only a few hundereds of a sec. at a very low voltage.So I'm with you guys It's not an issue.Finding a band burner timer is the issue.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »

A fuse with a snuffer tube also doesn't start fires.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »

Finding a band burner timer is the issue.
Starlink carries them Bruce.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »

Finding a band burner timer is the issue.
Starlink carries them Bruce.

Tmat
This is news to me.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

As Tony says Starlink produces a band burner timer.  Check the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.starlink-flitetech.com/SLFTTimers.php
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: P30 D/T

Derek
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »

Might light one off if plane decides to nest early before DT and with the fuse still burning. A long shot for sure since all the DT fuse I toasted in the `60s would fail at an attempt to light off a ciggie.
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »

Might light one off if plane decides to nest early before DT and with the fuse still burning. A long shot for sure since all the DT fuse I toasted in the `60s would fail at an attempt to light off a ciggie.
If it lands before DT, it didn't go anywhere and you're right there.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »

Not necessarily, Dan.  Through the years I've heard of two occasions in which a model landing with a fuse burning has caused a (fortunately) small fire.     If it's down at say 1:50 it doesn't follow that you're with it right away; I learned decades ago it was better to see a model down and then retrieve it, rather than run after it ....   and on a breezy day it could be quite far away downwind
betocastrucci
Bronze Member

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

In the past a A1 of mine landed with d/t burning, and it burnt the stab. For luck it landed in clean ground. At Embalse (Argentina) a model started fire in 2009, since then it is forbidden to use fuse d/t there.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »

This is my DT set up for my elliptical P-30 (from the "Show Us Your P-30" thread)

The center rib of the wing is made of 1/16 ply and has two tabs. One tab is to keep the wing centered on the pylon, the other provides a "stop" for the 45 degree pop-up (leading edge goes up). The stop and the tab go into a slot in the top of the pylon. Two rubber bands hold the wing on, with the fuse in the tube in the front of the pylon.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
WJJ
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »

Hello All you guys with P30's
I also fly P30 and also have trouble with slow or no decent now and again so just built another Pirate P30  with the same set up as Tmat bought from Mike at StarLink-Flite Tech.
Where is the best points to attach the lanyard to the wing  and fuse, to get the softest landing and the slowest decent . Is it the wing tip to the rear of the fuse, or maybe the centre of the wing?  Also how long is the lanyard for best result?   I have tried a system that lifts the leading edge of the wing up and it certainly brings the model down fast but it does half a loop and comes down upside down which does not do good to the poor old wing  .  This is an interesting topic and it looks like most of you guys favour the wing off method but I do have a worry about damage to the model as most times the landing is on D/T .
Thank you all for the interesting and useful input .
William .
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »

William, my set up is tip of wing to end of fuselage. The lanyard is several inches longer than necessary so there is a little play in the length. I've used a swivel at the wing tip or the tail end. Both work well. Over all it's a pretty gentle quick descent. I've never bent the prop wire or broke a propeller due to the nose first impact. Make sure you run the lanyard over the top of the stab!

I like to put some aluminized Mylar or reflective tape on the wing. It can reflect the sun and make it easier to see when DT-ing in big thermals. The wing will spin like crazy and if the sun is at the right angle it will flash all the way down.

Derek
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »

Attach the line to the center edge of a wingtip and the tail end of the fuselage. You MUST use a swivel. I have a snap-swivel fishing thingy so I can detach the wing for storage. The line only needs to be long enough to reach. On my canard I routed the line under the wing. On my current beast I just run it back and let it wave in the breeze.
If it comes down in a tree there can be some ...trauma. Down on pavement might be an issue. Neither have happened to me.
WJJ
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »

Hello All .
I have tried out pop off wing D/T on my Pirate P 30 and it certainly brings it down but rather fast with the wing spinning  behind it .I am a bit worried about the fast hard landing and wonder if there is a way to slow the decent  . Has anyone tried to attach the wing in the middle instead of the tip ? Maybe around the C/G or the centre of pressure . Just a thought .
William
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »

I attach the line to the TE at the tip dihedral break.   Have had many d/t descents and not encountered any damage
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: