Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2019, 09:54:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Build - the Tack Hammer  (Read 748 times)
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »

The Tack Hammer is a hand launch, aileron/elevator 32" wingspan 1/2 A version of the Hammer which is a vintage sport pattern plane. Cute little bugger. Plan available on Builder's Gallery and Outerzone as well. My version is modified so if it flies like a pig it's my fault. I raised the thrust line 3/4", lowered the wing 1/4", and raised the stab 3/8". I also decided on full house controls and a landing gear, taildragger style.

The wing: Almost to plan except the entire center section is sheeted. I think the very center was left open on the original because the wing is supposed to be glued in, but I made the wing removable. 3 nylon bolts.

The Fuse: From the side view pic you will see I changed the profile. I used light 3/16" and 1/4" for the turtledeck and blocked up and shaped the cockpit area with 1/4", hollowed out of course. Firewall is a chunk of 4mm Okoumi marine ply from my boat building scrap pile.

Tail feathers: Minor shape change but otherwise sort of to plan. 1/8" C-grain there. Oh yeah, divided the fin into fin/rudder parts since I'm going with lots of movable surfaces = more chance of fouling up and denting the turf  Grin

Pics of build so far. First one is bare frame with tailfeathers taped in place. The whitish stuff on the balsa is left overs of my homemade sanding sealer = lots of Johnson's non-medicated baby powder in nitrate dope. I use gooey clumps to patch dings and a slurry mix to prep the balsa.  Pic two is underside, wing with 3 bolt holes for the #10 nylon bolts, and the yet to be planked aft section - waiting for me to fiddle with pushrods before I close it up. Pic #3 is a profile shot which shows the changes I made in the fuse shape. #4 wing off and empty space awaiting radio gear mounts and such. I plan to carefully saw - with thin kerf blade - the cockpit dome out for a hatch to access the front empty bay waiting for ESC & Lipo. Last pic nose on, my firewall. Center hole if because the Firepower Speed 300 has a tail shaft that needs clearance, and the lower cutout is for airflow into the ESC/Lipo bay. I'll add a few air exits as well later on. Plane will covered with tissue.

All up weight as it sits in pics = 165 grams/5.8 oz.

Bill
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Build - the Tack Hammer
Build - the Tack Hammer
Build - the Tack Hammer
Build - the Tack Hammer
Build - the Tack Hammer
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »

Looks cool -- please keep the pictures coming.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Cut out and rigged a hatch so I can access battery. Hatch is sort of faked canopy area in black. Two stubby 1/8" dowels plug front of hatch in, the wire shown plugs into a 3/32" Al tube piece glued into bulkhead. Insert wire slide hatch forward far enough to plug in dowels, let spring wire snap her down tight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Build - the Tack Hammer
steveair2
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

Nice plane!  I am also considering an electric Tack Hammer with tissue cover.  Funny to find this thread.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »

Tried easy built domestic tissue - don't even think about pulling that wet around a curve. Settled on silkspan from Easy Built. White, so later I will decorate it with color tissue. Plane looks quick so I figure a color contrast design that will clue me as to which side I'm looking at is in order.

What size electric are you going to try? This one will get a Firepower Speed 300. If that's not enough the nest two sizes up from Firepower use the same mount = easy switch.
steveair2
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

Not sure about motor size.  I was on the Heads Up Hobby website, they have nice motor descriptions.  I am new to electric so I will have to do research.
Also,  I have not flown R/C in so long that I might build something a little more docile.  Now I am leaning towards either a Zippy Sport rubber conversion or
a Foker D8.  Still undecided though.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

Yes, I have two trainer types since I've been away from R/C for 3 decades. A School Boy and Jr Electra Fly converted to electric and multi channel. When converting an old escapement rudder only design I boost the rudder area up. Heads Up R/C has great tech info. Like you electric is new to me and I used the tech info and various other internet resources to noodle out the system. If you run into a hitch just zip off an email from the headsup contact page and a tech will get back to you fairly fast.

Actually the Tack Hammer is my full house trainer for another project in my shop, a 1/2 scale Tiporare pattern ship.
djginwis
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:30:35 PM »

I built a Dick Sarpolus Champion Hammer 40 many many years ago. I always thought it was a good looking design. Yours looks good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: