Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 10:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'The Chub'  (Read 7484 times)
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »

I'd be in Roman, I need a new Beancraft Banana.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

So...
Roman
Ates
Monique
Me if I can cheat on the wing chord

Is that enough? Can we start cooking?
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »

Great, let's get cooking! I'll start in two weeks, after my return from IKE Winter Classic.

--Ates
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »

It's your idea, Roman. Do you want to do the honours and set up the thread?
I'll start building as soon as my Storch's finished, although I might post pics of a few preliminary 'Spitball' drawings before that.
glue_finger
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

So...
Roman
Ates
Monique
Me if I can cheat on the wing chord

Is that enough? Can we start cooking?

I have a choice of two Bostonians on my near future builds list in any case, so count me in.  What's a cook up? 
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:47 AM »

Oh, wow..... I didn't think that a cookup can be still started that easy.
If I remember well, officially it needs five participants.  So we are good to go.

As for the title, I am quite open. Bostonian-like plane would be open enough for everybody I think.
Maybe it's a good idea to declare the deviation to the official Bostonian rules. Just tp prevent an unpleasant surprise if someone builds the plane and wants to participate in a Bostonian contest...

Pete, I am open to who starts the cookup. I am currently skiing and can start it next week. If you or someone else would like to start it, feel free I am happy with that too. I am happy that we start a new cookup at all Grin

Glue_finger, Greta to have you on board. A cookup is kind of a group building with a common theme. In our case it's a Bostonian - like plane. There will be a deadline when the cookup finishes, But don't worry, Nobody cares it Wink The fun is to build together and post regularly your progress in the cookup thread. Normaly the cookup threads are quite busy during the runtime. You will like it.

To the rules:

- Build a Bostonian - like plane
- Build from an existing plan or draw your own plan (Deviation in your own plan should be daclared properly)
- Is 6 month for the deadline enough?
- A picture with the finished plane in flight is needed to successful finish the cookup.

Did I forget anything?

Best regards Roman

PS: Sorry Pete for hitchhiking your thread ... we should open a cookup thread as soon as possible....
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:06 AM »

I've got a couple of Bstonian-like Ideas flying inside my head,

I'm in for a cookup.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2015, 06:25:44 AM »

Better and better! Okay, Roman, I'm just going to start it then with the rules as you suggest.  Cheesy
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »

Peter,
I am a duration flyer and consequently in my aeroplanes beauty, high class finish and particularly excess fat must yield to the dictates of the stopwatch.  In general I loath specifications that abuse good aerodynamics, such as the ‘Bostonian’ but I must admit that my prejudices have been pricked on a few occasions.  ‘NE14T’ did it first a few years back; I have never admitted it until now but I thought: ‘that’s quite clever to make a caricature of an aeroplane and still get it to fly.  Second was the ‘Chub’.  What got to me here was the pencil sketch.  I think we all started this way in our school exercise books and I think most models today still start from pencil doodles. Your sketch threw me because I realized I could not do those sweeping curvaceous lines that would make people smile.  When I do a fuselage; is the nose long enough for the prop to fold and miss the wing, can I start the timer when I launch, is the moment arm long enough?  And so on, not fun, calculation!  The third ‘Bostonian’ upset was the ‘Boston Observer’.  What is it about that aeroplane?  I saw the photograph of the structure and thought: ‘I’d like to build that’. ME, build a ‘Bostonian’?!!

Now to return to the ‘Chub’.  When I looked at the sketch I wondered what wing section Peter would actually use.  When I saw the build photographs the section looked rather like the sketch and I wonder if that is the reason for the non-existent glide.  Peter, before you consign the fat beauty to hanging from the ceiling on a thread could you find time to do a quick wing with a section about 8 or 10 percent maximum thickness about 40% back and with a nice smooth nose entry.  If you do I’ll buy you a beer and if it doesn’t work I’ll buy you two.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »

Thank you, John, for those kind words! You're right of course; it was the drawing of it which was the fun bit, and the act of making it as cute and chubby as possible within the Bostonian regs. I didn't really consider the aerodynamics (surprise, surprise!). In fact the original was built over a blown up copy of the pencil sketch so yes, same fat, blunt wing section!
I like your new wing mod suggestion because it wouldn't really change the look of the thing much and would also be quite quick. Also, taking your numbers as read, it makes sense to me without having to get my head round any maths!
I still like The Chub as it is, perhaps even partly because of the way it flies (can't easily explain that) so I won't promise to try a new wing, but then again, with the Clayton Bostonian comp still to come, not to mention your beer offer, I just might!
Pete
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:18:19 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »

Pete,
Please forgive another diversion in your thread.

John,
I don't think I have mentioned this before, but a long while ago we had a conversation about 'lifting body' particularly but performance Bostonians generally?
Thinking about a performance model I decided to try squeezing the Hepcat into Bostonians proportions .... this is the 'FatCat' that I came up with.
Might be another one to get out of my system in the Bostonian cookup?  Roll Eyes

To get back to the Chub .... risking a 'Mr. Creosote' reaction!   Embarrassed ..... I do still think that the Chub will reward with an incy wincy bit more work .... not asking for a titanic effort with Prokoviev playing in the background Tongue
I always believe that if a model is flying well for part of the flight, then it can be made to fly well for the whole flight. I do give up on those that show no inclination!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 'The Chub'
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »

... should add that I nicked Mike Stuarts 'wheels in the fins'!
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »

'Lo Russ,
I think that conversation was on one of my rare visits to Nottingham or could it have been on SFA?

You're obviously on a winner with the 'Fat Cat'.  I notice you have avoided problems with the peg leg uc and provided spare wheels in the fins.  For authenticity to the prototype I would lower the top fuselage curve a tad and mount the wing on a low parasol.  Any cross section lost at the top can be used in the belly to give what modern (hep) young ladies refer to as a 'bump'.

I looked up 'Bostonian' in the dictionary and it said: A flying machine immortalized in fat.

John

PS I had not seen #111 when I posted.

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »

It was SFA John.
I noticed that the snapshot misses off the line I put in for the wing mount after I post ... it will be on a low parasol.
Unfortunately, to fit in the 'Bostonian box' and length restriction the fuselage lines are pretty well lost  Sad
I will try to develop this in the cookup thread so that I don't mess up Pete's thread any more ...sorry again Pete.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »

I know I've just posted this link elsewhere but I'm putting it here too, just for completeness.
The Chub flying at Bushfield: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hC-99m_Js
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

Today HPA,  tomorrow - the world.

Chub plan on EEEEEEEEEEbbbbbbbbbbaaaaayyyyy.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALSA-BUILDING-PLAN-The-Chub-Bostonian-Cartoon-Scale-R-P-F-F-Model-Aeroplane-/20134355

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:12 PM »

Cheeky monkey .... worth every penny though  Cheesy

I thought I had uploaded this video .... the same flight as you have already posted Pete, but from my perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewqeFFnvrt8
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »

Thanks, Ralph and Russ!  Grin Grin
A bit of egocentric searching also turned up this link to Roman's version, which I hope he doesn't mind me posting here:
http://www.ig-albatros.ch/index.php/bauberichte-und-projekte/gummimotor-modelle/the-chub#top

If your German's as nonexistent as mine, you might like to translate it courtesy of Mr Google. Be warned though, there are some interesting results if you do that. For instance, apparently the model weighs 22g 'without a condom'!  Shocked
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »

Pete

I had a sense of humour failure and have asked if he has your permission to sell it. I'm relaxed about vintage plans, but this is a bit mucking futch to my mind Wink

Peter
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »

Today HPA,  tomorrow - the world.

Chub plan on EEEEEEEEEEbbbbbbbbbbaaaaayyyyy.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALSA-BUILDING-PLAN-The-Chub-Bostonian-Cartoon-Scale-R-P-F-F-Model-Aeroplane-/20134355

Is this legal?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »

I'm really not bothered. The plan's on here anyway and I don't see that it's much different from selling the old copy of RCME which the plan's in (but thank you just the same, Peter)
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »

Understood!
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37:30 AM »

Sorry for not posting posting the infos here, it was no intention to do it secretly.
It is just a short buildreport. Basicly the information and pictures I posted also in the cookup.
I am a bember of the IG Albatros and wanted to share "the Chub" with my friends there. Hope that's o.K. for you Pete.
I had the Chub with me at the annual rubber power meeting some weeks ago, but did not fly it, since it was to windy to fly it.
Full credits are given to you for the nice design. The verdict is, that it is no world record beater in duration, but the characteristic look of the plane is more than worth to build it.

No condoms are mentioned in my report, Gummi is used in german for rubber and colloquially for condoms Wink So dont worry, my report is absolutely suitable for children Grin

Roman
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »

A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging

! - although it does have "very small staple holes"

The building notes are supplied free of charge.

!!

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2015, 03:38:51 AM »

As Russ says, he's a cheeky monkey, but good luck to him I say if it means more Chubs get built. In any case if, as the staple holes suggest, he's selling original plans pulled from the mag (rather than photocopies) I don't see how he's making much of a profit at £2.50 a throw. In fact to be fair that's probably an easier way to get the plan than printing it off from here and sticking sheets together.

Roman, of course you can post your builds wherever you like! There was no question of 'secrecy'. If we all had to announce it on here every time we mentioned our models elsewhere it would very soon get out of hand! I was very pleased to come across it on the IG Albatros site, and although I'd seen most of your pics before it was nice to see them all together in a little article like that.

By the way, another Google translated phrase I really enjoyed was 'able to rise off ground' coming out as 'ground bootable'! All my models are ground bootable- especially when they don't behave themselves!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: