Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 08, 2020, 04:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'The Chub'  (Read 8058 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »

Thanks, Roman.
Windows and wheels done now...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 'The Chub'
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

It's certainly living up to it's name! Look forward to the flying.
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »

I  LIKE it!  Might be enough to cure my Cubophobia Wink!

I'm with Pit....but this is awesome.  Well done!

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

Thanks chaps!
Black tissue thunderflashes added, also struts. Tail now attached too.
Just really the front end to do now, and the CHUB logo to go on the tail.
My wife and son both seem to like this model better than any of my previous ones. Must admit I'm quite pleased with it too!
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »

Pete, thats a cute airplane. Its not hard to belive that your wife and son like it Grin
I already can see it chugging around. Dont forget to take plenty of pictures or even better  vid of it.

Roman
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »

The Chub has lots of character Cool, and is very charming, I love it!

--Ates
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »

Pete, that's just ace!

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »

Thanks! Now finished. All ready for next month's Bostonian comp at Clayton, where I will be trimming and entering all at once. It weighs in at 23g without rubber, so managed to sneak in at just a mere 9g over the required minimum.  Roll Eyes On the Clayton Flyers' website Tom Tomlinson writes that the other contenders are looking at times around the one minute 10 second mark. http://www.creativesweb.co.uk/Clayton/news.html Well so long as there's a 500% cuteness bonus I might still be okay.
Anyway, here are some pictures. The prop looks small, but 6" is the max allowed and whatever else I'm determined to be legal! I'll maybe change it once the competition's over.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »

One more...
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »

She's a cute little jewel!  Well Done!
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »

It weighs in at 23g without rubber, so managed to sneak in at just a mere 9g over the required minimum.
Pete, thats a precision landing Grin

I am sure that you will get enough cuteness bonus make the other contenders fear your Chub.
It will be fun to see it flying!

About the prop... You still have the possibility to make the blades wider? This should have a similar effect as a larger prop?!

Good luck with the trimming and have fun!
Roman
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:24 AM »

Good idea about a wider blade prop, Roman. I can either trim a larger one down, or I've got a 6" Ikara which I might use, although it's also heavier than the Peck so I'll see how the nose weight situation goes. Rules state I must use a commercial plastic prop and don't alter it other than by cutting it down to diameter and balancing.
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »

Hello Pete,
Which rules state I must use a commercial plastic prop and don't alter it other than by cutting it down to diameter and balancing?

Tony.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »

Hi Tony,
This model was built for a specific competition and the rules are Clayton's own (a tweaked version of the Walt Mooney rules apparently). These rules are on their website here:
http://www.creativesweb.co.uk/Clayton/news3.html
I don't know much about Bostonian rules generally, so the prop limits may well be a Clayton addition.
Pete
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:08 PM »

That seems a decent version of the Bostonian rules ..... with a growing number of Bostonian competitions it would be nice if the BMFA did an 'official' set of rules for the UK.
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »

Hello Pete and Russ,
Some time ago there was some confusion concerning what were claimed to be "Impington" Bostonian rules and that those rules limited the prop to 6" diameter commercial plastic. My fears that the confusion had resurfaced were unfounded. I would like to point out that there are no Impington rules, however there are rules which the Impington club have used and they are, in essence, the rules first set up by the AMA. ( I stand to be corrected here) The only limitation applied to props in those rules is that they must be no greater than 6" diameter.
Russ, I agree with you,  Bostonian competitions are becoming popular and now would be a good time for the BMFA to sort things out. They did, after all, run an unofficial comp at the last indoor nationals under the guidance of Gordon Hannah. Maybe a simple adoption of the AMA rules would be sufficient, I don't think too many would argue with that.
Pete, the Chub is a delight, it reminds me of a cartoon animal which I think was called Deputy Dawg.

Tony.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »

Tony,

I have always considered the 'Impington' rules to be those always printed on their flyers and on the website as 'full rules' ..... no mention of using only plastic props here, and I have won there using my own made up prop.
Yes, even the simple version of the Impington rules needs clarification if it is now said that only commercial props are to be used.

Not sure if adoption of the AMA rules would resolve things that easily as the indoor AMA rules are for the 7g weight and outdoor at 14g.
I think the 14g outdoor rules do not allow for the 'lifting body' orientation of the fuselage box but the indoor rules do.
There is (or was  ... not read them for a while) a clause in the indoor rules where the CD can decide on the minimum weight .... I tend to go by the indoor rules, but with the minimum weight set at 14g
It would be nice to have someone mention it to Chris Strachan, or someone else who is interested and is familiar with approaching the BMFA with such things.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »

... hope that you don't mind your thread going this way Pete?
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »

Russ and Pete,
I spoke to Chris when I first heard that only commercial plastic props were to be used for the Impington comps. He told me then that no such limitation had been applied and that any prop could be used, plastic, balsa, commercial or home made whatever the modeler wished to use as long as it was no more than 6" diameter. As you know Chris is a great supporter of the Bostonian class and I will speak to him Friday to see if he can get something under way.

Pete,
I apologise for hijacking your thread, this is my last on this subject, good luck with your Chubby Chub.

Tony.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »

That would be great Tony  Smiley  (and I feel better that I didn't cheat!)

Getting back to the Chub, I think I get what you mean with the D. Dawg reference!

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

Funnily enough my wife also said it reminded her of "that cartoon dog that used to be on telly", but I think she was thinking of Droopy. She may have a point...
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »

Definitely has a 'dogish snout'!
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »

Pete,
Your Lady is quite right, Droopy it was. I do get confused these days, I put it down to a combination of age and excitement.

Tony
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

A very pleasant afternoon at the Clayton Green Bostonian comp on Saturday. On its very first attempt the Chub flew! It was a nifty ROG followed by a head high circuit (I had to duck) and a sudden graceful plummet, all on two loops of 1/8" rubber, 300 turns and no added nose weight or trimming effort at all. Something which has never happened to me before! I'm very grateful to Tim Horne, who as well as getting his excellent Bill Brown 'Snout' Bostonian going nicely, found time to film no less than 4 of the Chub's brief flights, starting with only its second ever. I notice these are now on Tim's YouTube channel so really hope he doesn't mind me posting links the here. Thank you very much, Tim!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkghtEMxJI&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5sJUguiU5oH325uHNgM4Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFWP1fRTSw&list=UU5sJUguiU5oH325uHNgM4Hw&feature=c4-overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcB__v6wug&list=UU5sJUguiU5oH325uHNgM4Hw&feature=c4-overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmVtW-ymeo&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5sJUguiU5oH325uHNgM4Hw

The fourth of these flights was probably also its best of the day and is about 12 seconds long (a mere 65 seconds behind Tom Tomlinson's winning time!) Over the course of the four videos you can see that by changing the motor length its gliding and landing ability gradually went from 'like a brick' in the first film, through the 'sack of potatoes' phase and right up to a 'clumsily lobbed bowling ball'  by the end. There may well be a bit more to come, but I'm very happy so far!

Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Lovely! I think you could be getting a 'tossed bag of footballs' glide quite soon Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: