Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2021, 09:03:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lake Buccaneer from Pilot  (Read 1116 times)
knuts
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Norway Norway

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »

It's winter. Maybe I should start building my old Pilot Lake Buccaneer kit? Smiley

It will be converted to brushless power and I have already planned some modifications for it.

When all the unnecessary heavy wood is removed. The heavy copper tube supports for the pod are replaced by carbon tubes. The whole thing is calculated to be almost 500 grams lighter.
The only extra weight in the motor pod will be the BL motor. The ESC and battery will be in the fuselage. The only thing I have to plan is how to get easy access to the battery.

I think these mods will make it a much better airplane than the original with fuel engine. With a OS 32, tank, fuel, servo and a lot of reinforcements it would be top heavy.

Regards
Knut I. Skattebo

Regards
Knut I. Skattebo
Kongsberg, Norway
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

Balancing any aircraft so the center of mass is closer to the center of lift can only improve the flight performance. Try to not sink the batteries to deep into the fuselage. It you have to add wire length to the battery side of the ESC do add the necessary capacitors to protect the ESC.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:52:02 AM »

If at all possible, DO NOT increase the wire length between the battery and ESC (do NOT exceed 12 ").  The place to go long on the wires is from the ESC to the motor - they can be as long as you want/need and there is no futzing around with adding extra doo-dads.  Has to do with inductance and heat.  A very good write-up was is Red Scholefield's "Battery Clinic" (Model Aviation - July 2008).  There are other articles in almost all rc forums that state the same.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »

If at all possible, DO NOT increase the wire length between the battery and ESC (do NOT exceed 12 ").  The place to go long on the wires is from the ESC to the motor - they can be as long as you want/need and there is no futzing around with adding extra doo-dads.  Has to do with inductance and heat.  A very good write-up was is Red Scholefield's "Battery Clinic" (Model Aviation - July 2008).  There are other articles in almost all rc forums that state the same.

Pete
Exactly, avoid adding length to the battery side of the ESC. The 12" inch rule differs between ESC manufactures, but is a good ballpark.

Here is one OEM's take. I'm not advocating for this product but rather bringing to attention the need to adjust the impedance to account for the longer input lines. Doo-dads or not, the issue is to control the ripple current. These ripple currents unduly stress the MOSFEts (electronic switches). Capacitors are used to control this.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc-cap-pack.html

The motor lead length can cause RF issues particularly if the ESC OEM is driving the MOSFETs on very fast. It is a good idea to keep all the lines as short as practical, the battery leads even more so. This isn't just the wires on the ESC but also the leads on the battery.

All the best,
Konrad

knuts
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Norway Norway

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

I know about the battery wires.  Smiley
The battery and esc will be in the fuselage.

regards
Knut I.

Regards
Knut I. Skattebo
Kongsberg, Norway
Megowcoupe
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »

Knut

I had one of those kits years ago and sold it- somewhat surprising for me.  The airplane does need some lightening.  No matter what you do with thrust lines- there will be coupling between power and pitch.

Having done a few seaplanes- my advice is to minimize the number of ways water can enter the airplane- and do seal everything!  If you're following the kit design and plan on removable wings- I think that becomes the hatch for battery access- I wouldn't add another hatch.  Also-make sure you upsize your ESC- i.e. if the motor draws 25 amps- use at least a 35 amp capable ESC- you won't have any cooling air in the fuselage- same for the batteries.

Good luck!

Sam
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

Sam makes some good points.
Do add or use oversized ESC with heat sinks. Also adding a muffin fan helps keeps the heat under control (moving around what little air there is in that closed  sealed fuselage). The real issue is the heat from the BEC. Again use one with a heat sink.

Castle has such units.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-edge.html
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Castle also has THE best service, on the very rare occasion you should need it!
http://rctruth.com/index.php?topic=1706.0

All the best,
Konrad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: