Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2020, 11:33:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hip Pocket Web Site, Forum and Plan Gallery Maintenance  (Read 3129 times)
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 132

Canada Canada

Topic starter
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Due to the increase in Membership and Traffic coming to the Hip Pocket Aeronautics family of web sites, and the volume of data we are accumulating in the Forum, it is now becoming critical for us to be sure that we always have a way back from a major disaster (like a server crash).

I just want everyone to be aware that we will, on occasion, be putting the Forum into "Maintenance Mode" to prevent anyone from logging in while I do backups of the entire group of sites.

When the site is in Maintenance Mode you will be greeted with a page that tells you this is the case. I will try my best to post an announcement in the General Forum at least a day or two ahead of time that includes a best guess as to what time of day the Maintenance will occur.

Thanks to all for your understanding.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 132

Canada Canada

Topic starter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »

Since the time of the original post we've managed to fine tune our maintenance procedures here on the Forum.

As it turns out, we've discovered that "announcing" general maintenance is not really necessary as a lot of things can be achieved behind the scenes even when members are logged in. There are times when turning on Maintenance Mode is necessary so we try to do that when traffic is minimal. Taking advantage of slow times works very well. A few of you have probably seen this happen but usually it only lasts for a very short time.

For the most part we are doing backups of the databases and attachments on a daily basis. Sometimes several times a day. Safe to say that at any time we have everything backed up to within only a few hours of the current state so we stand a good chance of losing almost nothing in the event of a crisis.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: