Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 11:04:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is Manhattan Cabin even flown any more?  (Read 11454 times)
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

Regarding Ron's book

Hepcat wrote:

"Like everyone else I treasure my copy of your book.  It is obviously out-of-date in some areas but that does not detract from the basic information which is imparted with warmth and enthusiasm and the illustrations are a source of constant delight."

I couldn't agree more. I own hundreads of books and yours is a firm favourate.
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 06:13:39 PM »

I used to enjoy Manhattan many years ago when we flew indoor at various DC Maxecuter venues.  Here is a photo of "Pink Lady"--my own design and all the balsa structure was painted with pink dye and covered with condenser paper.  They were a lot of fun.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Is Manhattan Cabin even flown any more?

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

I don't know about 2013-4, but Manhattan Cabin was flown for many years at the AMA Indoor FF Nats/US Indoor Championships, usually with 2-3 contestants. Google Indoor News and Views and you can look up most of these contest results. INAV is now on Word Press, is edited by Nick Ray, and seems to be available to all free with much indoor info for downloading or reading.

Fred Rash
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »

Surely some of you must have photos of your Manhattans besides me.

BernardB
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

Looks a lot like the Sainte formule class. Still flown by a small amount of people in Europe.

I've attached a picture of my model. The weight is 3 grams minimum without rubber.
Max 15 cm prop with a max blade chord of 25 mm.
The wheels have to be 18 mm in diameter.
Max fuselage length 330 mm, with a minimum cross section of 30 by 40 mm over a length of 50 mm.
Max wingspan is 330 mm with a chord of 80 mm.
Max span of the tail is 150 mm with a chord of 60 mm.
Covering: everything is allowed except microfilm.

Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »

Nice looking plane and very light!

Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »

Resuscitating the dead (topic, that is), my Wife, Celia, and I recently moved to SE Arizona, South and East of Tucson, just about 50 miles North of Mexico. Those last few frigid Winters in Central NY did us in. We packed for a road trip in Early November to visit friends in Port Orange/Daytona, then stayed until New years and spent 8 days in Disney with Jen and her(our) kiddos.

Following that, we set out to find a new home in Texas. Stops at Pensacola (Naval Aviation Museum - WOW), New Orleans, two weeks crisscrossing Texas, then on to Arizona for another few weeks. Put down a bid in Pearce/Sunsites, bid accepted, and set off for home, arriving just in time to catch the second half of the Superbowl. Just slightly more than 10,000 miles inclusive.

Packed up, left on Monday 5/24/16 shortly after closing, and drove to Pearce pulling a U-Haul, leaving behind everything that didn't fit the U-Haul. We arrived Saturday afternoon, Memorial Day W/E. Since then we've been unpacking, settling in, and slowly replacing the stuff we left behind. We did the math, and buying new came out to be more economical than shipping the old stuff out to here. Everything is different, and we love every bit of the difference. The 4800ft altitude and dryer climate are helping both of us with our slowly acquired debilities and pains associated with getting to 70 (myself, that is).

I'm hoping to get some indoor flyers together (planes and people both); and who knows, a resurgence of Manhattan Cabin here in the Southwest just may be in the offing.

Maybe another name and some tweaks may be in order. For one thing, we live in the shadow of Cochise's Stronghold...

More to come,

Greg Langelius

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »

Was Yellownia a Manhattan?  I have always wanted to build one of those, but not sure I have the skills.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

Yeloise was indeed a Manhattan. Not hard to build, but care in alignment is a must. It would be easy to build a banana. There is footage on YouTube of mine on a trimming flight.

Cheers,

Dan.
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 11:08:30 PM »

Oops, sorry for the misnaming.  I first had thought "Yellowmania" but knew that wasn't correct...
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »

Ron Williams' book has an extensive section on Manhattens. If I ever get around to building one that will be where I start looking for info.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »

This was mine! Built around 6 years ago and sadly no more after a house move. It's a lovely design...

Cheers,

Dan.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 12:23:59 PM »

Beautiful plane Dan, I've always thought this was an interesting design! Thanks for the pic, would be nice to see others. Really makes me want to build one (but no flying space dammit!), especially now that you can use plastic to cover them (I grew up with condenser paper, and still have tons I'd be happy to give away, but I was never fond of it, although if you shrink the heck out of it it's a little more stable). But I wonder about this part of the rules regarding the windshield (from AMA):

"The fuselage must include a windshield of two (2) square inches minimum area and a window on each side of one (1) square inch minimum; windshield and windows to be cellophane or
      similar transparent material. If transparent covering is used on the fuselage, then the windshield and windows must be outlined in a contrasting color."

I don't totally get the last part - so let's say I mylar the fuselage, including windows (sounds like the above is saying that's OK instead of cellophane), is it saying that I can then use a felt pen or strips of tissue or something to just outline the window area and I'm done (that would be great)? Any examples?

Of course this is all dreaming, though pleasant dreaming, unless I find a place to fly indoors (still working on it).

dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »

I don't totally get the last part - so let's say I mylar the fuselage, including windows (sounds like the above is saying that's OK instead of cellophane), is it saying that I can then use a felt pen or strips of tissue or something to just outline the window area and I'm done (that would be great)? Any examples?

Your are correct, when covering the model with all clear film, you then just use a marker or tissue or to outline a "window" area. When Manhattan was first flown they were condenser covered so the window was more obvious. When plastic was allowed in Mahattan some argued the whole fuselage was the "window" but to keep with the original intent of the event the outlining of the window was added. For those looking to make a Manhattan just be aware old plans have the 10" stab span not the current 12" span. They fly better with the bigger tail. 

I have always thought the Yeloise was a cool looking Manhattan but never found plans for it anywhere.

Don
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »

I clearly need to build a Manhattan for next year. Should be a piece of cake after my AMA cabin build this year.  Grin
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 01:54:19 AM »

Yeloise was published in Model Builder. Sorry I don't know the date/issue.

Dan.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »

I found it, plan #10772. I have contacted the AMA for a price as they have all Model Builder plans now.

Thanks!

Don
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »

my plan index states Oct 1977 issue.

--george

dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »

Just got the price from the AMA, the plan is $5 and postage is $5. Also AMA members get a 10% discount and a second copy of the same plane is half price. So $7.50 for two plans plus postage before discount.  AMA currently has a 20% off sale on plans until the end of October so that means $11 shipped for two copies.

Don
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »

my plan index states Oct 1977 issue.

--george

Thanks!
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »

Printed my form and sending it in tomorrow for a set of plans. Maybe a Yelosie build thread is in order? Next year will be the 40th anniversary since it was published in Model Builder.

Don
aardvark_bill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 10:52:26 PM »

Sounds like fun Don!  I have that issue of the Model Builder on the arm of my chair and I'd build along with you.  I'll order the plans ASAP.
Billy
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »

I'd like to participate but need you experts to provide plenty of guidance.  How about it?
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »

I will gladly post all my build info as I go along.

Don
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »

Thanks Don.  I believe I already have the set of plans for Yelonise.  I'll see if I can dig them out of my plans stack.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: