Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 09, 2020, 11:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Australian nationals...Gossie bitten by Webra  (Read 1137 times)
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:13 AM »

Yes folks, you read right Gossie, he who owns a Sorcerer powered by a Webra 1.5 diesel has joined the "Missing thumb brigade". As one modeller said " that will teach you for trying to steal a wallet out of another modeller's pocket!" but the reality is that Gossie tried to adjust the Webra's compression and in the process discovered a black whirling thing at the front that did the damage. Took the top off his thumb and shattered the nail and for those concerned about the engine's welfare...it was not hurt  Grin (see the thumbs up photo)

Second picture is of Col Collyer with his 15% enlargement of Ray Monks Vetarano (FAI power model) powered with an OS32 heli motor on pressure. Won Open power at the nats.

Ployd in Rutherglen OZ

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Australian nationals...Gossie bitten by Webra
Australian nationals...Gossie bitten by Webra

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »

Must be a thing of the NATS.
I had a similar episode at the 1972 Geelong Nationals. My Cox 09  bit me in the heel of my right hand and required 6 stitches.
Had to get a proxy to start the motor for my last flight for which I used a barely tested Executioner. Wing folded on the climb.
After the Nats my wife and I guided our old 1966 VW Hippie bus through the vinyards of the Barossa Valley, before heading west to Perth.
Happy New Year to all.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »

Sorry to read about Gossie's misfortune. I'll toast his speedy recovery a little later Wink

Cheers

Peter
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »

Yikes!  Shocked

Hope the thumb situation improves post haste

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
nosedive100
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

my family of medallions

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »

sorry to hear of your bit mate ,that sounds bad I have only had some small accident's , did have a shop teacher as a kid try to ajust  a screeming babe  bee through the prop? I just ask him why did u do that  Huh Shocked
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »

My worst one was at this years' NATS in Muncie.  Launched my 650 T-Bird with OS MAX-III .35 screaming.  Managed to fumble finger the DT tripper at the same time as the timer start lever.  Next thing I saw was the red spinner of the .35 pointing at me with a 10 X 4 APC doing about 17 grand.  Lunged rearward and downward and felt it hit me.  Landed on my right hip and shoulder.   Looking down expecting blood, and saw my chewed up pants leg, but the model, and me seemed undamaged.  Later that evening when showering, I spotted a huge bruise on my right leg just below my private area!!  The loose floppy pants must have fouled the prop but the spinner hit home.  Also my right shoulder and hip have never been the same.  Model crashed properly on a later flight.
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »

Ouch! I wish a fresh and good thumb emerges from that white cocoon...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

Bad luck Gossie. However just as well it didn't happen with your honking 40 powered beast. Grin
Take it easy and hope you are still having fun down there.
John
ricardo
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »

Good thing it wasn't a Taipan.  The inland and coastal Taipans are the 1st & 3rd most poisonous snakes in da world.  Yus guys will be pleased to know that the 11 most poisonous snakes are all Ozzie.  Mr. GB has a lot to answer for Cheesy

An engineer is someone who can do for 2 bob what any fool can do for a quid
Mike Myers
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »

Taipans do bite---at least Taipan props do.  I was flying a Moyer Cloud Cruiser with a PAW .35 on the nose--with an orange Taipan prop on the PAW.  Launched under full power; model did a figure 9 and came back through launch area at head height.  Fortunately it hit me on my hardest part--my forehead. 24 stitches, and a shattered prop which hung on my wall for several years to remind me to duck.  Lots of blood, but no real damage other than a scar.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:06 AM »

Ah yes, I'm surviving.   The pic Ployd put up was shortly after getting back from the hospital on Tuesday New Years Eve.
The top part of the thumb into the nail is gone and it just looked like fresh meat with lots of the red stuff running out of it.
I was very lucky in as much as we have an ex doctor and a matron at a large NSW hospital in our FF group, so whatever it was was poured over it to clean it up and a sterile bandage over it and I was told to hold it very tight to stem the bleeding, then taken to the hospital.
They cleaned it again and bandaged it as the pic shows, and was instructed to see my doctor when I got home.   Saw my Doc 6 days after it happened and it took an hour to get the bandage off with plenty of ooo and aahing from me.
It was very clean looking thanks to the help I received so he bandaged up again and told to come back ever two or three days so the bandage does not stick.  It looks quite good and is healing but is still very painful.

I never flew Open Power the next day as I could not hold a model properly, and I was very pleased to see my good friend Col of many years max out and win it.

The next day Thursday was Vintage Rubber, so I gave myself a double dose of the pain killers the hospital prescribed and with great agony I maxed out with one of the Jeckyll & Hydes that I love flying.
Friday I had planned to drive 1/2 way home, but stayed on to time the winning P30 in the flyoff then without any pain killers because I was driving a long distance I got a J&H out for the flyoff with the other guy who made it with a nice Boxall rubber job from 1956 with a big freewheel prop. on it.
I'm not kidding, I was really hurting and ask for a bit of help........I never got full winds on and and then in getting the blast tube out one the longerons got squashed so as soon as the prop with about 80% turns went in the fuselage collapsed........I was yelled at the get the second J&H out as I still had a few minutes left but I just never had it in me........I shook the other guys hand and was pleased to get second place.

J&H is back together now.   I worked on it over a couple of days, and covered the damaged part today so it lives to fly again.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:20:52 AM »

Glad to hear you're ok and you reestablished your position as boss over your thumb Cheesy
John
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »

Ouch!
Happy New year!
Get Well!
Add step to Checklist:  Keep Thumb Out... Wink (and other parts of the anatomy)

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »

A clubmate had a similar very bad injury at the US NATS last year. He seems to be on the road to a full recovery.

I don't recall anyone getting chopped up by a prop at the indoor NATS - which could be an excellent excuse for some of us less coordinated individuals to stick with that branch of free flight.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

More likely to swallow one Bill Grin Especially the way modellers are continually airing their mouths Cheesy
John
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »

Hello,
I only opened this page today. Poor Gossie! Must have pained a lot! We talked in this forum before Gossie went to the nationals. I am also a proud owner of two Webras, one 1,5cc the other 2,5cc. They also bit me once in a while, but never so seriously.
I hope for a soon and good reestablishment! Gossie as a good tough Aussie will overcome this!
Pls send a photo with the already healed thumb!
Greetings,
Kurt
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »

It's not healed as yet.......in fact a month later it's still raw looking and painful.......I can't use the thumb, and a big problem is holding a model with my right hand I can't adjust the needle valve with left thumb and forefinger.
I'm just going to take a break from flying until it gets better.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Australian nationals...Gossie bitten by Webra
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:49:29 AM »

It's not healed as yet.......in fact a month later it's still raw looking and painful.......I can't use the thumb, and a big problem is holding a model with my right hand I can't adjust the needle valve with left thumb and forefinger.
I'm just going to take a break from flying until it gets better.

Gossie,
doesnot look very nice, but time heales wounds!
You will have still a lot of happy flights!
Greetings,
Kurt
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »

I've got to change the subect from your poor thumb, Howard, so have you flown that big .40 model yet?

John

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »

I've got to change the subect from your poor thumb, Howard, so have you flown that big .40 model yet?

John

Yes John, but it's not fully trimmed. 
 I got it going "sort of" a while back only over one day.   Took it to the Nats to probably fly it in Open Power, but early on during the Nats other things got in the way, and the thumb happened the day before Open Power so I really took it on a 4 day drive there and back for nothing.   I slept in that Open Power morning as I had taken strong pain killers prescribed by the hospital, and went to the field mid morning without models......what a waste of a day.

The 40 goes well though, as on the first day busy with other things I take the fuselage to the field and started up the engine a couple of times to check flood off shutting down etc.......it fires instantly on the electric finger and of course makes plenty of noise...........one day I'll make it happen properly. 

Don't know when though, as at this stage holding a model with my right hand I can't adjust a needle valve with LH thumb and forefinger as one does.   To say the least this is all a PITA.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Some times rear valve engines have their attractions!
I've been bitten a few times, fortunately though, not as bad as yours, Howard.

Gliders are a part of me.
flying scotsman
Bronze Member

Germany Germany

Youre only young once, but for how long?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

My sympathy to you, mate.
I slipped in some cowshit while pitting a friends C.L. combat model, fell down and stuck the left forefinger in the prop.

2 ways to soil yer trousers at the same time  Shocked, inside and out. Never found the missing bit(s) and its never been the same since.

Hope very much you and your thumb fare better.

Andy.

PS hope nobody in Germany reads this, there would be an instant ban on carbon/glass props  Wink
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »

Mine was done with an AM 10 diesel being run flat out on a test stand , many years ago. Fortunately not as bad as your own injury. The engine was unused and a gift from an acquaintance. Went really well , but never liked it much after loosing the meat on the end of my thumb! Gave it away to someone more deserving not long afterwards. Wonder why I prefer gliders?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: