Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 23, 2020, 08:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sal Taibi Starbuster  (Read 537 times)
aeronca52
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

Here's some pictures of a Sal Taibi Starbuster I recently started finishing.

Hope the cut and paste works..

https://picasaweb.google.com/111789260582837245068/DadSPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCywpLM77b6Qg
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:12:17 PM by aeronca52 » Logged
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »

A "Starbuster"? I don't know that airplane...

Where did you get the plans?

Wow, that's a new one for me, I just found it on the AMA Plans service website. Says that it was Model Airplane News, July 1962.

Learn something new every day...

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks for posting. I'd heard of that design but didn't know what it looked like. Keep us posted!

Norm
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »

I remember that from the mid- 60's when a clubmate obtained the plan thinking he was getting a Starduster.  Big difference; it was never built, of course
Gnu
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Balsa Bender

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »

The Starbuster was designed as an introductory or beginner gas model free flight.

All your lift are belong to us, make your time.
aeronca52
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Hi guys,
Yes, it was in MAN back in the early 60's.  Sal Taibi designed it for his son Mike to start on Free Flight.  The original has a 48" wingspan, mine has a 56" span, due to some misunderstanding between me and the Staples clerk.  ( I'm not good with expressing what %'s I need something enlarged to).

Anyhow, back to the original 48" model.  As Sal designed it there is only a leading and trailing edge, no spars or stringers. Sort of like some Jasco model wings. The fuselage is built of 1/4 sq framework then covered with 1/16 balsa. The tail is typical Free Flight.  Back in the day (late 60's) I built a 48" size Starbuster, and powered it with a .049 WenMac from a plastic controlliner.  Used an eyedropper for fuel allotment.  In Sal's construction article he said to be sure to add a dethermalizer, so I figured it must have a decent glide.

This was my 'Epiphany' model.  On the very first flight it reached about 200 feet and glided like a real contest model! I was hooked. Everything before it was Rascals, Dakotas, and CG Rangers, .02 powered.  This Starbuster really flew great, and glided like all the real Free Flights I had seen at contests!! And I had built it myself!!

Fast forward 45 years and the nostalgia urge kicks in.  Too old to chase and even if I could there are no more local big fields. Haven't started a glow motor in 20 years. The Staples clerk did me a favor by making it 56" span, easier to see.  So, even though this is a Free Flight design, it will have some small black boxes to keep it in the field behind my house.

A few changes to the original design;  as you can see I added a top and bottom spar with webbing between.  Just didn't trust a 56" wing without it. Most everything else is as Sal wanted it, even the wood sizes. I didn’t think with the small difference is size it needed heftier wood. The plans call for the CG about 1/2 inch ahead of the rear of the wing trailing edge, so that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm a slow builder, it's taken me about a year to get where you see it now.  Also the color is much more vivid than the phone camera shows.  That is Orange Monokote on the wings/tail.

Some of the magazines had articles to show the Sal Taibi Memorial contest last year, and they had a group shot of the people with models in front.  If you find that picture there is a SB in the middle of the group.

I'll keep posting any progress.  Please ask any questions or post observations.

Thanks for your interest.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: