Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 25, 2020, 06:16:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some New designs  (Read 653 times)
Ex Member

« on: January 15, 2014, 06:17:05 AM »

Some new designs I have been working on.....

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting here as they are to be manufactured, but they may be of interest to some of you guts especially the "Kit Scale-rs" amongst you.

Andrew

http://youtu.be/jm0nxYWPzjM

http://youtu.be/9jzRuGIsiBk

http://youtu.be/olA3Ml8xENM

http://youtu.be/MQH7HmX5Bvw
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:35:26 AM »

They look great from that! Any idea of a time-scale as to them being in production? Looking forward to some close up pics of the prototypes.
And well done- I'm sure Phil Smith, Albert Hatfull etc. would be proud of you!!
Ex Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »

Hi Pete,

Not sure as yet, I have a done a block of four models (there is a non scale Glider called the Osprey too).  My next step is to get the plans drawn up.  The plans are going to be a bit different, they will all be on A4, so that you build one bit of it up at a time (there is also a summary plan).  I've done this as I don't know about you but a cut up my plans to build anyhow.  For the newbie they aren't flooded with instructions either.

It is interesting you mention the Veron and KK designers.  The point of these models is to take over from where Veron and KK left off, so they aren't super dooper scales but are what I suppose you could call "fun scale".  The whole idea being that they are a bit more for Joe public than the "serious guys".

The Cessna leans towards the KK in terms of the simplifications of the profile (like your Auster Arrow) but the structure has been completely revised and the sides are cut as one piece, the point being that the designs make use of the laser process rather than doing the design "as normal" and just laser cutting the bits.

Here is a pic, the quality is a bit rubbish as it was done on my Ipad...

The hurricane was a start from scratch job from a three view and I made the compromises including a bigger wing area for the span and the (almost) obligatory increase in tail feather area
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Some New designs
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »

Very nice!
And I really like the A4 plans idea. So much more user friendly. I've just started my Aerographics Albatros and because I need the plan intact for kit scale documentation I've ended up folding it to get it on the building board. This means I can't even look at half of it until I unpin the wings from the board! Also, I have to be careful not to wreck the plan as I go, as it is much more hassle to make a spare copy than if it had been on several A4 sheets.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 279

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

I have been working with A4 plans for many years, mainly because my CAD program will break my drawing down into whatever sizes of sheet I want to print and, like most people, my printer normally prints to A4 paper.  In case any of you are not familiar with CAD perhaps I should mention that CAD programs usually print amazingly accurate register marks near the corner of each sheet of paper so that sheets can be easily joined to Johnform large plans if necessary.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Ex Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »

Thanks Pete and John,

Yes all of the designs have been done in CAD as these get exported straight to the laser (I have done the sheet layouts too)

I've used the top down technique whereby it is all drawn up and then broken down into sub assemblies (wings, fin etc) and then into the individual bits for cutting.

On each plan sheet there will be "mini" views of the sheets, with the bits you need for that particular assembly greyed out to make things simple.

Andrew
Ex Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »

A picture of the Cessna the the nearly done stage.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Some New designs
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

Smiley  That's very nice too- certainly quite KeilKraftish in appearance.

Talking of CAD, can you or John (or anyone) recommend a good CAD program? I've been thinking of drawing up a plan or two but have no CAD experience. I want something that is easy to learn/use rather than with lots of bells and whistles.
Actually, as this topic might well end up hijacking your thread, I'll see what's already been said about CAD elsewhere and then maybe start another thread with the same question.
Ex Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »

No probs Pete...

Yes it does, the difference is that I built the fuselage in about 30 minutes because of the keyed construction, it took me twice that time to build one side of the KK one!

Andrew
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »

Very interesting Andrew Smiley

Eagerly awaiting more details and a sneak preview of the plans  Wink

I didn't realise you guys had the Nottingham Uni site again.
Ex Member

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »

I didn't realise you guys had the Nottingham Uni site again.

Hi Jon,

We don't, the club splurged for a single three hour session for our yearly hangar rat comp....

We will still be regulars at Bushfield for the foreseeable (until you chuck us louts out)

Andrew
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:14:23 AM »

Always welcome old bean  Smiley

We are having our first Bostonian comp at Bushfield on Sunday 26th Jan.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »

Good work, Andrew, and good luck with the venture.

Stephen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: