Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 08:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DH-82 Tiger Moth (Hacker) for Kit Scale - hopefully...  (Read 984 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »

My latest addition to the build pile is the aforementioned kit.  Arriving at my door today, this 23 inch span model is designed for CO2 or rubber.  I'll be trying to get to the Brit Nats next year (not enough time/money for this year Sad) with this one and the Citabria that I began a few years ago Shocked.

The kit is remarkable!  Formed tip bows and fin/rudder (laminated!), Vac-formed cowl and all parts pre-cut.  They don't appear to be lasered and are still too "clean" to be milled.  Prop supplied is a black Tern-style has "SW" on one blade and a logo-something on the other) that looks quite nice and not heavy.  The supplied wood appears very good (not "great") of perhaps 5 or 6 pound density.

The kit appears very close to scale, with a lot of the bits and bobs that would normally be found on an Open Scal entry.  I don't think I'll have to modify it at all.  I've done too many mods on the Citabria to enter in Kit Scale (maybe) so it may be a last place finisher in Open Roll Eyes.

Stay tuned!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

I have one and I built one.  Nice kit but you are going to have to cut and grind a lot away that doesn't look like an airplane to make it fly in a reasonable and scale like fashion.  Start by make all the ribs 1/32 light balsa and then leave out every other one.  Trade out all the balsa stock that resembles swamp maple.  You get my drift?  The profile is right and it will make a nice flier but only if you add lightness.  The same is true of all other kits.  I'm building a Dumas Tiger Moth and with all the air frame parts weighed out, it comes to 14 gms. Ouch!  Too heavy for a 17ws.  So I got out the dremel and start to hack and wack. Got it down to 12.1 gms.  Still a bit heavy but might be a good outdoor flier, certainly not for indoors.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »

Thanks for the info, Dorme.  So far, I've just opened the box and glanced at the innards.  I want to do the Kit Scale bit, so it HAS to be built as per plan (or as close as possible).  Using lighter wood is allowed, plus minor mods - with a "fidelity" penalty - but the gravy is in the flying part of the comp.

If Keil Kraft models can win, I'm pretty confident that this has at least a fighting chance.  I also plan on powering it with a CO2 motor or possibly a "convertible".

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

I saw, many years ago, a mod on the cockpit that I used.  It was a detachable part that allowed one to lift the whole top of cockpit off to access the interior. If you're going for the CO2 motor, it might be a great way to install parts of it.
Ex Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »

My friend Richard Granger built this one for CO2 and he really liked the kit too.  He did have stability issues with it though (can't quite remember what) I'll ask him and let you know, it might help you cut off any issues at the pass at is were.

Anyhow, what's the matter with KK models?  Grin  The kits were at best poor, they aren't that scale but the designs aren't too bad fliers and as you say that's what counts..... Wink

Look forward to seeing this in build and hopefully at the event next year.

Andrew
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »

Nothing really "wrong" with the KK kits that I built as a kit, other than the atrocious wood.  One in particular (one of the "beginner" models) was supposed to be balsa - said so in the instructions - was more like rock maple.  Another where the wing ribs were nice and soft, to the point where some of them literally fell apart just by looking at them and the parts for the tail surfaces were, again, rock maple (at least there was some consistancy there Roll Eyes.

Other than that, the kits built into nice looking models (for an 8 year old Grin).

Got to finish my KK Gypsy (Replikit) sometime Roll Eyes...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Ex Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

Like I said, poorly made kits, but some quite good designs with little detail to add weight. With that and Since no-one really builds them from an actual kit for the kit scale comp, that's why they are competitive and win.....

One thing I do remember about Richards moth was that he buried carbon rod in the wing struts, as he considered them too weak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: