Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:19:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostonian Beaver  (Read 2245 times)
minnow
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »

I'd like to share a build of a Bostonian Beaver with everyone. The model started life back in 1983 and was published in Model Builder Magazine.  Some of you will recognize the design originally by Walt Mooney.  I've always admired Walt's designs for their simplicity.  You can find the plans here on HPA.

My local club, The Minneapolis Model Aero Club has the Bostonian event at each of our monthly flying sessions and not having ever built a Bostonian, felt left out.  So did a search here on HPA for Bostonian plans and found the Beaver.  As my preference in free flight models is anything scale and rubber power, the Beaver fit my idea of a nice duration scale like airplane.

As I can't leave anything alone, I started a redraw of the Beaver, fully intending to make it a personal build.  As I progressed, my thoughts started rolling towards making it a kit.  What follows is that effort.

Here's an image of the completed drawing:
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Bostonian Beaver
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »

Current construction progress:
Re: Bostonian Beaver
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »

That looks great, Greg. 

Never built that one of Walt's, even though the Beaver is an all time favorite.  I probably would prefer the longer wing model, even tho' it's not a "Bostonian".

Sent you a PM...

Dave

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »

Hi dave... There will be enough ribs in the kit to build either version, 16 inch or 24 inch.  The plans show either version.
Gt
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:04 AM »

It looks great - nice drawing too.
John
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments!

Pulling the nose together with the help of a longeron former.  In the past, I have never been able to get this part of construction down.  Whipping up this simple, temporary former helps yield a nice square front end.

Another image shows the cowling assembly.  This really went together quickly.  The cowl wrap is four separate 1/32 thick A grain elements, cut to fit at 90 degree increments.
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

Cowel has been tissue covered, sanded and Sprayed with Super Silver Florel spray.  Wing constructed, covered, shrunk, doped and sprayed with Alclad II White Aluminum Lacquer resting in a temporary shrinking/holding fixture.  Fuselage covered, shrunk, doped and sprayed with the Alclad II White Aluminum Lacquer also.  After spraying the aluminum color, it's necessary to burnish the paint with  about a 2000 grit sandpaper -- this will smooth the look of paint application.  Afterwards, wipe the coloring with a clean microfiber cloth.  Next is applied a very light, sprayed coat of nitrate as a sealer.  Windows are applied using Kodak Film Cement leached right at the interface of the window and fuselage structure using a 1/8 wide sable brush.

Stab, rudder and fin each recieve similar treatment as the wing.

Window framing is sprayed with two coats of Nitrate and sprayed Alclad II White Aluminum Lacquer.  The same process is used to burnish the aluminum paint, clean the surface, and apply a light sprayed coat of nitrate.  These parts will be included in the kit.

The rudder, in my case, is sprayed using a thinned Tamiya Gray.  It just looked neater than painting the fin and rudder all the same color.

Gt
Cee Gee
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »

Very nice model!  Will the kit be available to Hip Pocket members?

Thanks, Skip.
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »

Skip... Thanks for the kind comment, and, yes, available to contiguous US modelers.  Unfortunately, I cannot ship to our dedicated overseas modelers.

Forgot to post one pick in the earlier post showing the wing in the temporary wing fixture, so included here.

Gt
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:49:34 AM »

The finish on the cowl caught my eye GT. Its very impressive. Does the Alcad lacquer add much weight? If not then it seems a good way to go for natural AL finish aircraft.
Do you do your own CNC laser cutting.
Very nice work.
John
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »

Hi John... The Alclad lacquer, being a lacquer, is pretty much as light as it gets when finishing with an aluminized paint.  You asked about weight; unfortunately I rarely weigh anything for my personal projects, other than an initial sheet of wood to roughly determine the realm I'm working with.

I wish I could help with the paints influence on the finished product, but again, I start with a basic plan in finishing a model but never keep track of the weight.  I know, sounds foolish but I stick with a plan and the model pretty much comes out to whatever it comes out to -- as far as weight goes.  Hope this helps.

Having said that, there's other models that I have used the Alclad Lacquer on, I'll see if I can find the thread for the Globe Swift here on HPA, but the model was larger and had more wing area - so I wasn't too much concerned about weight.  Hopefully it will help in a decision as to use the paint or not.  Couldn't find the Globe Swift Build on HPA, please go here for another example of the Alclad lacquer use: http://www.thomasdesigns.net/SwiftGallery.html

When air brushing with any of the aluminized paints, it will always be necessary to burnish the surface after paint to smooth and blend.  The surface, in my experience, always looks awful and is rather “toothy”.   Additionally, will always require a sealant after burnishing - I use water thin nitrate air brushed over the paint  -- two very light coats, don't dwell on any one spot or the nitrate will cause bad things to happen to the Alclad paint.
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »

Prepping the fuselage for decals.  White background required to enhance the Air Force insignia.  Decals where made-up with a laser printer, sprayed with Testors Decal Rejuvenator, trimmed right to the insignia outline and applied over the white layer.

"US Air Force" decal made-up on a laser printer using USAF font.  No background required for the black letters.  Inked door lines added using a template created from .010 thick clear polystyrene sheet and used as if using a drafting template for drawing circles.

Completed the stabilizer, adding trim tabs  using very thin brass wire for hinges.  Tabs are painted gray.  Color on the stabilizer is Tamyia Chrome, thinned to the consistency of water.  A couple of very thin coats did the job.

Green anti-glare panel to enhance the Air Force look.

Wheels laminated from 1/16 balsa, turned in the general shape needed to give a "look" and a trial fit to the LG wire now having the LG Fairings attached to the fuselage. Wheels turned freely, which is a feat unto itself -- I like the look of having it ROG without having a wheel dragging it off to one side or the other.
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »

All components have been assembled.  All-up weight, 17.9 grams -- given the amount of heavily pigmented paint, not to bad.  Currently balances right at 30%, without rubber.  We have another contest coming up on February 21st.  That will be the first day that I’ll be able to test fly.
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »

Looks great, I have the original Beaver that Walt built and published back in 1983.
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »

Very nice, I love the window framing!
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

atesus, Thanks!  It was a struggle at times trying to keep adhesive off the clear plastic.  Ultimately, I prevailed.

scigs: Thanks for the compliments!  Now, that’s interesting, you having the original Mooney model!  I see the original model was built having a 24 inch span.  I’d still like to do another with the larger span -- seems it would, or should be a great flyer at the 24 inch span.  It would certainly look much closer to the likes of a “Scale” model.  I see in the original article that Mooney, based on the photo’s for the article, also changed the windscreen to be more scale like, however he left the plans at the configuration shown in my model.  The next kit run will have the more scale like windscreen.  For the purist’s, I’ve manufactured the kits as Mooney originally designed his model.

Just curious, is it possible to post images of the original?

Attached another image of the framing for atesus.  BTW, framing has been lasered and is in the kit as shown.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »

Wow.  Looks terrific just the way Walt drew it.

I like this view of a "working" Beaver...(even with under inflated tires, Beavers easily got in and out of Crissy Field)

minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

Indoorflyer... Thanks!  It was a great build -- two-three weeks, something like that.  Drawings where developed previous to the build and modified as the build was taking place.

I'd love to build another but a nice scale version at about 36 inch span, that should be large enough to load it with a fair amount of detail.  One of these days.
rick121x
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »

Oh my goodness, you would want to put more detail into your models? This one is so very beautiful... the lines are so very clean, the texture and colors so tailored. I can hardly imagine anything much nicer. I have seen more detailed, but never so artful and so nicely crafted. This one is a true work of art.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

Greg,
Scigs had a thread previously here on HPA with pictures of the original Walt Mooney Beaver:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=4653.0

minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

rick... Thanks a bunch for the glowing critique!  I can't get my head through the kitchen door!

Indoorflyer: Thanks a bunch for the link!  I had no idea this was on the web site.  What a great little dissertation.  What freaked me out was Walt's cheating on the cowl. I saw that and I quickly ran to my collection, found the Monogram Beaver -- that's cheating!  Although a perfect fit!!

Greg

Added a couple shots of my current project, it's a DSA-1 Mini Plane.  It's a model I've always had a hankering to build in a larger than Peanut size.  I built a Peanut version back in '75, still have it, albeit in pieces.  It actually flew pretty darn well, even with a semi-symmetrical airfoil.  Can't wait to get this 2" to the foot, 34 inch span, model done.  Going to be a slow project, but I'm thinking a fun one.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 02:23:58 AM »

Looks interesting - nice cad work as well. What program are you using?
John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »

Greg, great looking Beaver!
Will you add the kit to your shop?
If I read your thread, I can see that you like the planes big Grin
Your 24" Vagabond was the biggest rubber plane I built, so 34" or even 36" is huge for my scale Wink

Regards Roman
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

I would definitely like to buy and build one of these awesome laser cut kits and put it next to the original Mooney build.  Great build, good job. Also the original Walt built used the larger wing, then he cut it down for the Bostonian class.  Because of the plastic cowl, it came out  nose heavy.
minnow
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »

John, down-under... Thanks John, I use SDRC/I-DEAS, Ver 8m2.

Roman... Unfortunately I can't update my web pages with new additions or changes, my admin PC crashed and the new one I built has incompatible, old software  -- it won't run on Win 7.  MS has you going and coming!  I've purchased new web design software and still learning the in-and-outs of it -- probably a couple months before a new web page shows up.

Having said that, your welcome to simply get me a note and I'll get one out to you, or anyone else interested.  [email protected]

How'd your Vag fly for you?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: