Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2020, 08:58:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Plans for a Starter Stand - Field Box  (Read 875 times)
adamescu
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

Ahoj all,
I have definitely decided that I need a starter stands - field box , I know  there are many different stands for starters. Would you be willing  to share?
Really apriciate your photos and ideas Wink
Thanks a lot

Adam
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Plans for a Starter Stand - Field Box
JEM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »

Hi Adam,
I hope this is of use to you. It is designed for R/C but easily adapted for C/L or FF use.

John
Re: Plans for a Starter Stand - Field Box
adamescu
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

Hi John,
thanks a lot for your plan - really nice!  But unfortunately I need different kind of starter stands.
I have found a very nice one in these thread ...
http://www.freeflight.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=183
... need a plan for something like this.
Ahoj
Adam
JEM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »

Oops! Sorry Adam. I just saw the words "Field Box". Being a Control Line flyer, I have not seen Starter Stands before. Interesting though.

John.
Brian J Y
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

Hi Adam,

I think you have probably decided what type of starter stand you want but I have attached some pictures of what I decided on last year when I started flying free flight models after a very long break.

I have only used the starter for sport flying of nostalgia FAI power models so it may not fulfil your needs.

I modified a Sig Miniboss flight box by attaching the starter to the battery and power panel part of the flight box. I fixed the starter at an angle to suit me, obviously different people would fix at a different angle. The starter is operated using a footswitch designed for use on a yacht deck so reasonably weather resistant.

The extra 2 terminals below the power panel are to enable charging of the battery without going through the power panel and without having to remove or access the battery directly.

I also added a cover to the open tray on top of the main part of the flight box to give some protection to tools etc that are too large to fit within the smaller inner trays.

The ability to separate the starter and battery etc from the other part of the box suits me as it means I don't have to carry more than I need if I am not flying a power model.

I selected this as a flight box to minimise time spent making something from scratch.

I have not used the flight box a lot yet and I may well have to develop it as I do use it, but only time will tell. As I say may it may not suit you but seems to fit the bill for me so far.

Brian
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »

The Gil Morris type stand is very compact and well thought out (as is all of Gil's stuff!). Try this link https://library.modelaviation.com/system/files/styles/zoom1800/private/ma/ma199704/ma199704_128.jpg

Norm
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »

Norm

I had problems with that link, my AV software said that it was unsafe. There have been recent comments on FFML about problems with certain NFFS links.

Adam

I have a drawing of the Gil Morris starter box, so if you let me have your e-mail address on a PM I'll send it to you. The file size is too big to post

Peter
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

Norm

I had problems with that link, my AV software said that it was unsafe. There have been recent comments on FFML about problems with certain NFFS links.

Adam

I have a drawing of the Gil Morris starter box, so if you let me have your e-mail address on a PM I'll send it to you. The file size is too big to post

Peter

Hi Peter,
The link was to the AMA Model aviation archives, April 1997. It's a membership required site and I thought I could just lift the article-NOT! Now I can't get back in my post to edit it.

- Norm
adamescu
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

Ahoj all,
Here is definitely my startbox made from old toolbox and working very well

Cheers
Adam