Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 21, 2020, 11:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 154030 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »

My Barron Knight is ready for covering. Should come in under 70g. I think it was a poor choice - everyone says the prop is rubbish. It is certainly flexible and I shall probably glass it and reinforce the root. Once the Postal is done I will make a proper prop, but I would also like to try one of the better designs Mark has posted.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »

Forgot the photo...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

and again! Losing the plot
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2014, 09:10:06 AM »

Bingo, thanks for the compliment. I'm sorry I missed your post. Has Dave flown his Dobrek yet?
Tim you are "sailing" along. I guess your other project is in dry dock. Have you worked out how to join the fuselage halves.
Bill your Baron knight looks neat, you're well ahead of schedule maybe time to build another!
regards Dave
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »

Hi Dave - the girls like to say that blokes can't do two things at once - but here's a boat and a plane - neither of them in danger of being finished any time soon - but I'm getting there.
The round peg in the square hole situation will arise very soon tho - and think I will make sure that the rear peg goes through both somehow... as my Czech friends would say: 'is problem'
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

Tim,
You can't derail this thread with a model boat....a model train maybe but not a boat.  Bill uses a bicycle.

Mark
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »

Square fuz end former (or two) with a hole for the T-bone... err, boom.  Just be sure to keep the plane out of the boat wake - water vortices might wreak the flight Roll Eyes...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2014, 02:27:50 AM »

Thought I'd better put on a "as it stands" photo, as expected I'm struggling with weight. I think I should have built a simpler coupe, no pylon and a one piece wing would save a few grams but I like the style of Dobrek and I need to be interested in the model to see it through.
regards Dave
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »

> You can't derail this thread with a model boat....a model train maybe but not a boat.

I see what you did there Mark... derail... train...
The only 'wake' here Pit will be for the coupes that don't get to the flight line in time.  Cheesy

Dave, the Drobek looks good. I haven't had the courage to weigh mine yet. I think the fuzz pod is a debacle... and may need to be redone.
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »

I was hoping someone had started construction on their Nikolina and might be able to steer me away from any  problems. Hope to have it finished in time for Postal flight's after the first of the year.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

I built one when I was young but the thin wing was beyond my skills. I vaguely remember there was a problem with the prop drawing in Aeromodeller that was subsequently corrected. This may have been discussed.
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »

Grin It's all good Dave, I figure when building planes, one builds with his head, but chooses with his heart!  Roll Eyes  which sometimes means  :'( !
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »

Grin It's all good Dave, I figure when building planes, one builds with his head, but chooses with his heart!  Roll Eyes  which sometimes means  :'( !

Dead on. I no longer start a plane that isn't calling 'build me', strongly.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »

I am happy to see you all read my question. My heart was first and  now I will put my thinking cap on and get busy. The plan problem was corrected regarding the prop area in question. Got it here on HPA by the way.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

OK, you guys are having way too much fun.

I've started construction of George Batiuk's CdH (see page one of this thread or my CAD Drawing: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=6234&mode=search )

So far I went to Kinkos and got two copies printed of the drawing, cut out the rudder and fin, striped the 3/32 square for the fuselage and glued the 1/6th sheet for the forward fuselage.

I don't know that I'll be able to enter in this postal, though, as I will be making a couple of deviations:

1) I will be using a KSB DT clock-work timer.

2) As there is no information about the front-end, I will be using an old FAI Models 'Teeney Torque" Montreal stop mechanism. I am aware that a Montreal Stop is not "period", but building front ends has always been my nemesis.

I'll leave it up to you guys whether to allow me to enter the airplane or not. I'm going to build it no matter what, though...

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2014, 11:35:55 PM »

Anyone know what the G103 airfoil referred to in the plan for the NEWG Moth coupe is? Plan appears here:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=16042.msg128595#msg128595

Thanks
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2014, 05:25:29 AM »

What happened to the smiley face king, John, not a smiley face to be seen!
Look forward to seeing some photos Iceman.
Well tailplane built and all up so far 62gms  Shocked Just have to make the prop and cover the airframe in 8 grams  Roll Eyes
This model was supposed to weigh 106 grams ready to fly but we are flying at 80 grams, hard for me to see where I can close the gap.
 About to start a new fuse.
regards Dave
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »

My Baron Knight is covered now with two coats of dope. It is well under weight (about all the design has going for it) so I can afford maybe two more. It will need ballast - wish I could use a Tomy!
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2014, 07:02:56 AM »

Grin Nice picture of the cat Dave!  Grin I'm trying to tell from the look on his/ her face whether its giving you the seal of approval! Apparently not a seal, but a cat! arf, arf  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »

Look forward to seeing some photos Iceman.

A few pictures to start:

1) Fuselage sides cut, pylon assembled, rudder and fin cut.
2) Forward fuselage sides. I decided to make the wood grain vertical for strength.
3) Completed pylon
4) Completed pylon with DT timer test fit.
5) Rudder and fin
6) Foward fuselage start construction.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »

BTW, there's a slim chance that I'd participate in this contest. If I did, I wouldn't use a fuse, whether or not it's legal around here. A fuse would mean I was only comfortable flying when the ground was wet.  When the weather's been dry for a while, there's a lot of dry, flammable material sitting around. Dried grass, dead leaves, etc. I understand about snuffer tubes, but that would only work when the model flew correctly.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

BTW, there's a slim chance that I'd participate in this contest. If I did, I wouldn't use a fuse, whether or not it's legal around here. A fuse would mean I was only comfortable flying when the ground was wet.  When the weather's been dry for a while, there's a lot of dry, flammable material sitting around. Dried grass, dead leaves, etc. I understand about snuffer tubes, but that would only work when the model flew correctly.
It isn't dry here midwinter! As soon as the postal is over, in goes a tomy timer, and a second prop blade.
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2014, 03:17:16 AM »

Dwarf Dip is closer to completion, but there is endless fiddly detail.
I guess DDII would have been a better choice.
Looks like Dave and Tim will overtake me; they get first use of the weather too!

Mark, could you clarify the flying period ?
Is September included in "June to September" ?

Sean
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »

It can be either way here in the winter. Obviously not as bad as in the summer, though. Still. I can just see it dropping a spark onto someone's oily snowblower and making a lot of trouble. Or perhaps lighting up a dried, discarded Christmas tree. One of the flying sites I use has dense stands of reed which are quite dry in the winter.

Much of the time we don't have snow on the ground, though it's different every year.

It isn't dry here midwinter! As soon as the postal is over, in goes a tomy timer, and a second prop blade.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »

Long way to go yet Sean, at least you know what you are doing!

Question! Prop blades, I have the diameter and pitch on the plan, so can I mould the blades on a form or wrap them around a can rather than try to find a suitable block to carve it from?
regards Dave
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:00:31 AM by dputt7 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: