Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 04:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 152432 times)
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2014, 04:06:26 AM »

Well Tim and I got a chance to fly our Coupes this morning, rather than make the long trip to our friends property at Murray Bridge we opted out for Victoria Park where the Adelaide Formula One G.P.s were held and in use for the present day Clipsal Super Car races. It's used by the ARF R/C flyers so our homemade, uncontrollable rubber powered models created some interest.
   The weather wasn't too bad with a few gusts now and then, Tims  Guy Cognet flew easily straight off the board getting good height on not many turns so he called for a timed flight, not sure how many turns but touched down at 2 mins 18.
   I had fitted a 6 strand 1/4 motor in the Dobrek and decided not to use a torque meter and just wind to feel. It struggled on the initial climb but seemed to find some  good air and climbed away into obvious lift, the glide was good in nice circles but it didn't seem to be coming down. Tim lost sight of it at 5mins 11 secs and I followed underneath waiting for the 2min D/T to go off, as it started to leave the park it dropped out of the lift to land in the top of a large tree. I must had snagged the D/T line as I launched! Its a long way up und even if it blows loose it will only fall deeper into the tree. I went back about 3 hours later and it was still firmly wedged and Tim rang awhile back saying he had driven past and it had not moved so I guess that's my Winter Cup over Tim has some more flying to do as the wind sprang up preventing more flying and is now fitting a D/T , one that works I hope Tim!
  As I was in the shed checking the photos on my computer I felt something knock against my chair, I got quite a shock to see quite a large KOALA looking up at me, now we do very rarely see them around here but this was quite a shock. After climbing onto a shelf and destroying my Dornier 217 I was in the midst of repairing I managed to shoo him out. So I guess that's 2 models Im out today !
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:33 AM »

Should have added some comments on the photos, namely Tim holding the prop in the time honoured way! and we hoped those Rainbow Lorikeets would  knock the model down  there were about 8 of them!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2014, 05:18:24 AM »

Dave

Shame about the model(s) but don't give up hope on the Dobrek as sometimes the wind does strange things, and apparently irretrievable models find their way to the ground. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Peter
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »

Dave,
Sorry to see the loss of your Drobek.  Hope the wind gets it down shortly.  I hope you still have the contest legal Ailbass so you're still able to compete if necessary. 
Thanks for the photos and the update.

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Good effort Dave-I'm still to put any times in-I haven't had an opportunity to fly since the weekend of 31May/1 June due to the weather-and our FF site being so water logged we can't get vehicles in. The wettest winter I can recall since living in Wellington.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »

That does look like a real airplane-eating tree. Has anyone ever tried blowing a model out of a tree with a leaf blower? (Ok, I don't know if they're common where you are.) Seems like it might be suitable here because it might get the model to go up and sideways.

Your model looks very nice and it would be sad if it stays in a tree. Have you considered hiring someone who takes down trees for a living? Not to cut it but to be able to climb. Our club has a list of guys who will retrieve planes from trees. Generally it works out very well. Not sure about liability issues! Or maybe you know someone young, athletic, and monkey like? If you have a time machine and a jet plane, you are welcome to ask my former self for help. ;-) See the attached picture, taken from the awards ceremony of a contest, of me retrieving a model from a tree. And yes, one of the trophies was awarded to me.

These days I usually settle for lobbing a dowel set up as an arrow with a bowfishing setup, and either using the string to tug a stronger line up, or just pull with the line. Usually works but is tedious. I have to make the shots count, because the bow has a heavy pull and I'll be sore if I take too many. I have seen a rig made from an old fire extinguisher acting as a pneumatic gun to accomplish something similar. Also, slingshots with spinning reels meant for fishing. Fortunately, it doesn't happen as much to me as it used to.

Don't get me started about the day, many years ago, when a friend of mine wanted his swim trunks to dry faster and hoisted them up a 40 foot mast without setting up a downhaul to retrieve them! Many hours on the retrieve, though the lash up job we used makes a good memory now.

dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2014, 04:12:33 AM »

Thanks Fellas,
                    Mark,   Ailbass is still OK so I should be able to at least get in 5 short flights.

Chris that sounds very wet, do you have an alternate site.

Lincoln, Yes leaf blowers are used even down here but I think you would need a supercharged one, its pretty high. As far as getting help from a tree cutter or such the model is not worth much the only thing of value is a $22 timer! That's a great picture of you in the tree.

I did have a thought that a Quad copter with a grappling hook might work  Grin

Dropped by "the Tree" after work tonight and it was still in the same place although the wind had changed direction and it had flipped over so if it falls it will land in a lower branch that I might be able to reach with a pole.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:12 AM »

Send up the koala!
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »

Well, I had my motors all tied and pre-stretched... getting my model prepped and ready.  

Dave casually says: "I'll put in a couple of flights just to get some times to put down".
Next thing I'm squinting into the distance at 5 minutes plus trying to see the Drobek for the trees.
Classic.

This location by the way was the central venue for flyers like Burford and Felstead in Adelaide who would ride their bikes to the city parklands to fly their 'rubber jobs' back in the day (1940's).

In the photo it's hard to work out the distances - but there's a first line of trees where my 2 min flight landed - and then a big expanse beyond where the race track pits area and grandstands are put up once a year - across another oval to a boundary road where the line of trees is that caught Dave's Drobek at 5mins...

I went through about lunchtime - and yep - it's moved a bit - dropped it's tail - but not much lower than it was before.

Pics are from day 1 and show the curious birds in attendance.

cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »

Thanks Fellas,
                    Mark,   Ailbass is still OK so I should be able to at least get in 5 short flights.

In short-no! [well not within a reasonable driving distance of Wellington]

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »

Hi Dave, what a mad story and a sorry end to a couple of models. If its still in the tree when I get there I will climb the tree and get it down. Done that before!
   Maybe we could start a movie called return of the Killer Koalas!
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »

Once again, I've overdone it:

I suspect that a leaf blower is still quite powerful at 50 feet or so. Especially commercial ones. Damp leaves require an awful lot of wind to dislodge them from grass. I think your labor is worth far more than the timer.
  Thanks Fellas,

Lincoln, Yes leaf blowers are used even down here but I think you would need a supercharged one, its pretty high. As far as getting help from a tree cutter or such the model is not worth much the only thing of value is a $22 timer! That's a great picture of you in the tree.

I did have a thought that a Quad copter with a grappling hook might work  Grin

Dropped by "the Tree" after work tonight and it was still in the same place although the wind had changed direction and it had flipped over so if it falls it will land in a lower branch that I might be able to reach with a pole.

I think one of the more powerful gasoline powered types might do the job just fine. We have an electric one that is not terribly powerful, but at 20 paces it's still very noticeable, and perhaps enough to dislodge a coupe. If I was using a gas one, I'd start with low throttle just to make sure that I didn't tear the model apart. And you could better your odds by putting it on a pole or something if necessary. Indoors, I once knocked a pennyplane out of a 35 or 40 foot ceiling using a homemade air cannon, and pretty much destroyed a stuck EZB of mine at closer range. I think if you made one a bit larger and more powerful, it would be good enough to toss your coupe around a bit and maybe even dislodge it. It also blows nifty smoke rings if you can get some smoke inside it. Might be good for aiming.

The one I made was similar to this one:
www.abrowndesign.com/Air%20Vortex%20Cannon.pdf

Imagine what a 55 gallon drum made into one of these would do. Especially if activated with a large firecracker or maybe even fuel-vapor like a potato cannon:
 ( http://www.aaroncake.net/spuds/index.asp )
Come to think of it, the small one would probably be pretty potent that way too. Or maybe even just the potato cannon itself, firing spudless. The ones I've heard are not terribly loud but they give amazing range for a vegetable. Hmmm.... maybe I'll have to make one.

dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:39 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions but it seems a bit adventurous for me, I'm not good at judging heights but I did the thing with my arm at 45 degrees and paced in to the bottom of the tree and it looks like about 65 - 70 feet.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »

Day 3

Sad

I can't believe I'm saying this....   but we need some wind.

Tim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »

Yeah I was thinking the same thing tonight, see its flipped over, and is still moving around, glad I fitted those bands to close the prop or it would be really stuck. You got that D/T fitted yet!
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: August 19, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions but it seems a bit adventurous for me, I'm not good at judging heights but I did the thing with my arm at 45 degrees and paced in to the bottom of the tree and it looks like about 65 - 70 feet.

I was mostly just brainstorming*, but if you can provide the transportation, I'll be glad to help you. ;-) 

*It's just necessary to sift the one or two good ideas out of all the bad ones.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2014, 03:46:03 AM »

I appreciate the suggestions and don't worry I've not given up, I'll make a concerted effort when I have time. I just need every bit of stick and tubing I can find and several rolls of tape  Grin  I do have a plan  Grin  I'm just hoping it will come down a bit first.
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »

Grin I couldn't help noticing that the wings are attached by rubber bands. Unless your sun is very different to ours, I'M GUESSING THAT IT WON'T TAKE LONG for the wings to separate from the fuselage. Hopefully some ferret kid doesn't come along and find the bits on the ground. 
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »

SUN.  What Sun  Shocked
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »

Dave,
I have a very short (30") fishing rod and reel sold as a toy in pet shops for tossing a toy mouse in the house for the cats to chase.  It's their favorite toy in the house.  Anyway, I once took the mouse off the line and tied on a 1 or 2 oz fishing weight and used it to throw a line very high into a tree (in a woods as well) to retrieve a rubber model.  Worked very well though I did get the line caught and had to break it a couple of times.  I used the line thrown over a branch to pull up a heavier Nylon rope that was used to pull/shake the branch on which the model was caught.  Just another idea....you really need a short pole to cast the line vertically.
Best of luck.

Mark
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »

Good news (I think) Dave - looks like Drobek dropped a bit in the overnight breeze.
(the park is on my way to work so I've had a chance to keep an eye on it)

I was there this morning and had my indoor pole in the car.
 So when I saw that it was lower I took the pole out - which is 8m long extended - and the model was still a metre or two out of reach.

Here's some pics

Also I was trying to think up an excuse while I was there - in case I was asked - as to why I was wondering around the park at 8am with a 8metre stick 

-  a recreational pole vaulter maybe? 
- it's a jousting stick and I'm just looking for where my horse has gone?

Tim
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »

It's your walking stick and you are out for a 'long' walk?

It wasn't me
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »

GOT IT!  Grin  I've just got back from getting Drobek down and seen your post Tim.
 I went there straight from work  at about 4.30 pm and saw it had dropped so I went home to get my poles and indoor stick, traffic was a real pain at that time of night.
       It was a bit higher than the 10 meters though, My pole is only 7 metres and I had at least 8 mtrs of poles taped to it and just got above enough to fling it out into another lot of branches that I could then reach with my Indoor pole.
       Got a bit of damage but nothing serious, half a dozen tissue tears and a broken longeron plus the sub fin had fallen off and I didn't notice, easier to make another than fight the traffic again.
      The D/T line had slipped over the drum and was never going to go off so a bit more care next time.
       Thanks Tim for checking each day and to all the others for their suggestions especially Lincoln for his many ideas.
       I think the next 4 flights will be short ones..............................though that 5 minutes was a beauty!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »

Well done Dave! All's well that ends well, and the damage only looks like a minor flesh wound (a la Monty Python)  Roll Eyes
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »

So when I saw that it was lower I took the pole out - which is 8m long extended

For what it's worth, at this past weekend's indoor contest I had the priviledge of using Kang Lee's steering pole, which is somewhere around 11-12 m. It's not super light, but is quite reasonable and very stiff for a conventional telescoping pole. He paid about $150 US for it while in Japan. Pretty good price if you ask me, and for a very long pole.

And congrats to Dave on getting the plane back! Can you come retrieve my E36 next? Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: