Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 27, 2019, 10:10:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 148479 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 91

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2014, 07:10:40 AM »

So when I saw that it was lower I took the pole out - which is 8m long extended

For what it's worth, at this past weekend's indoor contest I had the priviledge of using Kang Lee's steering pole, which is somewhere around 11-12 m. It's not super light, but is quite reasonable and very stiff for a conventional telescoping pole. He paid about $150 US for it while in Japan. Pretty good price if you ask me, and for a very long pole.

And congrats to Dave on getting the plane back! Can you come retrieve my E36 next? Roll Eyes
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »

Great result Dave - under the pressure of some group anticipation too...

I won't have to use the 'long walk' excuse now either - thanks Rich I'll save it up for another time.
Because there might be another time.

OK Dave, let's reset, re-boot, and try again.
Back to the 60's - my favourite holiday destination.

cheers
Tim

Tim
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »

Dave,
The star posting of the month. I am so pleased for you.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »

Grin Good work Dave!  Good to get it down before the weekend and have someone beat you to it. Makes for an interesting story. I guess the motto is don't give up!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2014, 03:28:34 AM »

Thanks for your support fellas, all fixed and ready to go! Oh and that wind you ordered Tim, its here!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2014, 07:32:47 AM »

Sunday morning about 7:30am Dave & I got back to the parklands to do some more flights.
The weather was good - no booming thermals - but calm air.
I had some good winds with some 7/99 rubber  - but this blew eventually and then I was using a 2012 batch.
Dave's Drobek was back - some repairs, of course, but seemed to be going good.
Best of luck to all you guys who have your flights ahead. And thanks to Mark too for organising a fun comp idea.
Now we can sit back and watch  Cool
cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:24:35 AM by THB » Logged

Tim
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2014, 03:26:02 AM »

Grin It's good that you've been able to get some flyable weather in Winter. And having a decent park close to home is a bonus!
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »

Back to fabulous free flight after some real life distractions and even some flying.
Here in Melbourne we have been having bursts of the sort of weather we expect in May.
Days with little or no wind and inversions on many mornings bringing a few calm hours before a normal windy day.

DDIII was completed back on the 10th. 1.5 gm of ballast bought it safely over the limit.

The asymmetric fin required some experimentation with alignment before being finally glued in place.
Luckily an inversion facilitated test glides at the local park the next morning.
Very promising; nice floaty glide and a forgiving mushy stall rather than a sudden plunge.
Thanks to Charlie Sotich for getting the spar placement right. But the grass was very wet.
More local testing two days later had the fin sorted except for final tweaks.

A really good burst of weather came along in the next few days so out to our field to trim out the power pattern.
I built the wing with the right panel flat and 3mm washout in the left panel. The CG was close the the design point.
A small amount of down and side thrust were built in. A little extra down thrust got DDIII spiralling up nicely while recovering safely from excessively steep launches.
I went with a pop-up tailplane DT for the time being and it turned out that the design DTs stably with a 50 deg tip up so the rate of decent is high enough to be safe.
Then went out again the next day (the 15th) to try and get a score but only managed false starts.
It was really difficult to tell the difference between rising air and sink in the very light drift.
Another great day a week later (the 21st) made it possible to put together a modest but respectable 'fallback' score. 
This week we are spoiled for choice with four great days in a row forecast.
So with luck I will go out on two days and try to put together a better score.

So Mark you have stimulated a rather unusual amount of flying this August.
Of course I've been following Dave and Tim's exploits in Adelaide and wondering if their weather has been as obliging.
I also had an encounter with a difficult tree during the same period but DDIII was not the hostage so I will report on this elsewhere.

I assume that  "Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans."
means that a score can be assembled from flights made on a number of days.
Is this correct ?

Mark I will try to satisfy your curiosity about thermals down here, in a separate post.

Sean
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »

Well that looks sensational Sean - is it a one coat dope finish - or what did you use?
Best of luck with your flights.
cheers
Tim

Tim
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »

Two coats of standard dope were enough to seal the tissue Tim.
It's 70's tissue and a tad lighter than what you get now.
It slacks off a bit in the early morning but the geodetics make that a non-issue
The wood areas are just dyed and sealed with a wood sealer.
The camera is lying about the brilliance of the colours.
It looks pretty but its no lorikeet or tropical fish.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:58 PM »

I assume that  "Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans."
means that a score can be assembled from flights made on a number of days.
Is this correct ?

Sean

Soc,
Yes, you may assemble a score for the flights over more than one day.  Not sure what you mean by your "fallback score".  After you declare an official flight attempt to your timekeeper then it's an official flight (unless less than 20 secs).  You may not put together several series of official flights and pick which series you want to submit as official.  Please reference the rules at the first post in this thread.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »

Hello everyone.  Smiley

Well, we're into September, the last month for those south of the equator to get their official flights in and recorded.  Best wishes to all those "down under" wherever you may be and a big thanks to all those building and flying.

Cheers,

Mark
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

Recently discovered that I'd scanned this plan but never posted Nikolina here.  I can mail a full size paper plan at $4 each if anyone wants one.  See reply #84  in the original thread for a pic of this smallish Cd'H.

I am curious to know how many are building the Nikolina . Also I would like to know if anyone has the names of any of Frank Parmenter's designs for the Coupe event. I know he must have flown a lot back in the day coverwd by this postal contest. Thanks for any information regarding this.

Frank was a true friend.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »

Hello everyone.  Smiley

Well, we're into September, the last month for those south of the equator to get their official flights in and recorded.  Best wishes to all those "down under" wherever you may be and a big thanks to all those building and flying.

Cheers,
   Well that will teach me to read the rules, I thought this was a Winter Cup Postal.   Shocked   Some nice weather in early Spring Grin
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

It appears to be very difficult to attach a scan of your time sheet and send it through a PM via HPA messaging.   So, please send them direct to me at this address:
[email protected]

Mark
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 127

Canada Canada

« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »

It appears to be very difficult to attach a scan of your time sheet and send it through a PM via HPA messaging.   So, please send them direct to me at this address:
[email protected]

"Very difficult" is understating it Mark, it CAN NOT be done via PM. This is true for our Internal Email System as well.
Some day perhaps but not now.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »

I took my Baron Knight to Old Warden in perfect weather. I'd had to use a bootful of tail tilt and a hefty rudder tab to get a right turn, but it was trimmed for power in two flights. Just a shim on the noseblock to turn right under power and that was it. It is clear that it will go well if I chuck it into good air. Now I have to wait for horrible winter weather!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Perfect weather here today too Bill.  So I took two HLG's out and first flight goes into a pond at the park where I fly.  So home to get a fishing rod and a sinker.  Drive back to the park and the wind had pushed it way off shore.....I had to sit around and wait for it to get within 40' of shore so I could cast a line over it and pull it in.  Now drying on the dining room table.  So that's how I spent a perfect day for flying.   I thought about swimming out to the model but didn't know how to swim back while holding a model.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:40:33 PM by Mark Braunlich » Logged

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

I thought about swimming out to the model but didn't know how to swim back while holding a model.
Clamped between your teeth!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »

With the arrival of October, the window for the flying in the Southern Hemisphere is closed.   Flying in the Northern Hemisphere opens December 1.

Good luck everyone.

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: October 01, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »

With regret I was unable to get any times-due solely to weather and site access....maybe next year if the contest continues. One of the worst winters and early springs in Wellington I can recall since I moved up here from down south. Had a great morning's flying yesterday-but that was one day too late (Oct 1...!). Even as it was-despite the absolutely perfect weather, driving into the interior of the farm was a hazardous operation-and even underfoot on our normal flying position the ground was waterlogged and audibly 'squelching' underfoot as you walked about.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
tabby505
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: October 01, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »

I thought about swimming out to the model but didn't know how to swim back while holding a model.
Clamped between your teeth!
While doing the back stroke of course.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »

I entered the Baron Knight in the 8th Area Coupe event. I was impressed; three consecutive maxes in lift, 1.36 in still air and a 1:06 with a duff motor before disappearing for an hour into a hidden bomb crater. I learned that it is as good as anything if I chuck it into lift.
I think the 20sec motor run quoted is a misprint. Mine was running over 40 secs and it wasn't full turns
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »

I see from SAM1066 Clarion that there is a Coupe meeting at N Luffenham on Dec 7th so that is where I shall make my winning flights!
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »

And win the Aeromodeller Trophy!
Don
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: