Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 25, 2019, 04:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 148460 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »

A bonus.
Seriously; do you get thermals in December?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »

Yes, from M & S. Several sizes available.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 276

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

Winter thermals?   Absolutely; may not be as strong as some summer ones but they are there and happy to take your model as a welcomed gift.     I've flown over snow at near freezing point, albeit sunny, and been glad of a working d/t
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »

Bill

Jim (Applehoney) is spot on - so don't forget to light the DT fuse (although I hope it won't be snowing).
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »

I'd be more concerned keeping my rubber warm and think I'd use the old ice-fisherman's remedy...also, we used to have contests here in the Cleveland, Ohio area in mid-winter and thermals were present but so were fire-barrels and rum...
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »

Lots of French magazines on ebay now with vintage Coupe d'Hiver plans.  Check the date on the cover.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=coupe&_from=R40&_osacat=220&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcoupe+hiver&_nkw=coupe+hiver&_sacat=220

Mark
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Re reply #255.

I was surprised to see my 'Gigi' plan for sale on the ebay site and still worth $7.84!  I should warn Coupe enthusiasts though that 'Gigi' is not a Coupe but a simple power model for beginners.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »

I wonder who holds the APS copyright these days-in the aftermath of Aeromodeller ceasing production in 2001, then restarting a few years later incoprporated into AMI-then restarting again as a fully independent publication. I doubt that vendor Dr Scribbles has any legal rights to the huge range of APS plans he sells on Ebay.............

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »

Re reply #255.

'Gigi' is not a Coupe but a simple power model for beginners.

John
And very good too. When I was a beginner, it got my DC Merlin into the air but eventually it landed in the sea at Southend. I got it back but didn't know that seawater was bad for engines.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »

At the risk of taking this thread off topic-I second that comment by Bill-I've campaigned a Gigi in our National, regional and decentralised 'Aggregate' event (30 minute power scramble) for over 30 years-it proved to be an excellent design, being capable of very flat turns stably without spiralling in-which is a great asset in this event as you you the model to stay close to the launch point-even in wind. The rather tatty original is now over 30 years old being built around 1982 or 83 and is on it's third engine, having started with an Indian Mills, progressed through an Irvine Mills and for the past 15 years or so has had an MP Jet Classic up front-as has the new one, currently awaiting covering. The new one is built to Johns original Aeromodeller plan, whereas the original one had a few mods-such as deleting the 2 wheel undercarriage, and the subfin in favour of a simple wire skid. The new one has a few refinements such as the engine bay plywood lined-and ditto the cowling underside, plus a spruce leading edge to cope with midairs-which are not infrequent in Aggregate-especially with the LeMans start used. I put a bit more care into the building than usual on the basis that if the original has survived for 30+ years then this one should see out my FF days....I doubt I'll be flying aggregate when I'm 90!
   About the only criticism I have of the design is its a bit like-and worse than-the 'Simplex'-no matter how much care you take at the rear end you need a lot of lead in the nose to get the CG in the right place....possibly the ideal place for something like a Midge homebuilt diesel!
   The reason the original is currently noseless is that I was 'persuaded' by a friend to lend him the model to fly in the Aggregate event at the 2008 Nats (I was due to arrive late and miss that event in any case)-I reluctantly agreed, explained the trim settings were already set, and the engine setup and warned him not to adjust anything. I duly got the model back sans nose (and all the noseweight) and the twerp boasted when he gave it back that he ignored all my instructions, flew it 'his way' and lost the nose when it crashed over the far side of a hedgerow. Needless to say he's an ex friend-and can consider himself lucky I didn't deck him on the spot.........

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »

With the start of December, we open the flying window (Dec through March) for the Northern Hemisphere flyers.  Please re-read the rules at the first post in this thread.

Good luck to all participants.

Mark

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »

Looking forward to making my flights this Sunday at Luffenham at La Grande Coupe de Birmingham. Just to be up front, I shall be using my contest flight times also for the Postal. Is anyone else entering the Postal there? I have many new Tan SS motors ready so hopefully no more duds giving me one minute flights into a bomb crater.
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »

Bill
But what if the N Luff max is reduced, if its windy?
Don
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »

Bill
But what if the N Luff max is reduced, if its windy?
Don
Then I shall consume a bacon sandwich and re-assess the situation.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

Bill

Bring an extra large frying pan so you can make bacon sandwiches for us all Grin

The weather is deteriorating nicely with the wind from the west. Ah well, when the going gets tough and all that!

Cheers

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

The weather is deteriorating nicely with the wind from the west. Ah well, when the going gets tough and all that!

Peter
Good. My only chance. Many years ago at a terrible Nats, I could have won Open Power. Tom Smith, Julian Hopper, Russell Peers, Trevor Payne et al were disappearing into the clag while my crappy Heatwave struggled up to the cloudbase. But overruns, the hangar and other mishaps did me in!
I just tested a motor to bursting at 440 turns, so I shall wind to 439 1/2
Incidentally, is Garter Knight available anywhere?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2014, 03:13:17 PM »

Bill I have the original plan I can copy and mail if you get no response closer to home.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

Bill I have the original plan I can copy and mail if you get no response closer to home.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Thanks Chris. Is it essentially a Baron Knight with square tips and fuselage?
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »

The Garter Knight (designed by D. Morley) had sort of square tips, sheet box fuselage up to the motor peg and tip dihedral only. Free plan in Aeromodeller, December 1961. Have the plans for both.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2014, 05:29:05 PM »

Bill

I note you studiously ignored my suggestion for a larger frying pan Grin

Pity you didn't enquire about the Garter Knight sooner. I have the plan somewhere  Roll Eyes and could have copied it onto A3 sheets at the local sweetie shop. However, it is on the Morley club's plan list and I feel sure that if you had a quiet word with Gordon W or Dennis D they would get it copied for you.

Peter
ps I note that the forecast windspeed has now dropped below 20 mph - almost flat calm Wink
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

[/quote]
Thanks Chris. Is it essentially a Baron Knight with square tips and fuselage?
[/quote]

Yes Bill more or less-I've just overlaid my Baron Knight on the Garter Knight plan to check-the fuselages are near identical (the BN being diamond rather than square as the GN is)the GN pylon is a bit simpler as a result. Wing and tail virtually the same apart from dihedral and tip shape, ditto prop assembly-though seeing as the GN came out in '61 and the BN in '65-the latter is the derivative design not the former.....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »

Thanks chaps, but I think my Baron Knight is probably a better development of the GK so I will work on that one.

Well I got my flights in today in dreadful conditions at N Luffenham, but a very enjoyable day nevertheless!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »

Well Bill, you got home quickly; the last time I saw you, you were still giving the chocolate, carrot and walnut cakes a good seeing to Grin........wot no bacon sandwich during the day?

Congratulations on the times you achieved, you were only just out of the money from what I saw. However, instead of saying "conditions dreadful" perhaps "challenging" is more in line with a typical British understatement  Wink

Am I now excused copying the GK plan?

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

Well Bill, you got home quickly; the last time I saw you, you were still giving the chocolate, carrot and walnut cakes a good seeing to Grin........wot no bacon sandwich during the day?

Congratulations on the times you achieved, you were only just out of the money from what I saw. However, instead of saying "conditions dreadful" perhaps "challenging" is more in line with a typical British understatement  Wink

Am I now excused copying the GK plan?

Peter
Peter, yes thanks - I will pass on the GK and set my sights higher. Yes, bacon sandwiches between rounds 3 and 4.
I must say that when I was crouched in a muddy field, wrestling with bits of model as the wind howled and  hail ran down my neck, I felt somewhat 'challenged'! All good fun though. What larks, eh Pip.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »

How many times do I have to tell you boys about playing in the mud at Nth Luffenham  Grin

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: