Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2019, 10:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 148430 times)
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

Muddy fields, feet down rabbit holes, and traversing barbed wire fences without reverting to soprano! All in a day's model flying Roll Eyes (Lunatics R Us Cheesy)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »

On my last flight I was trudging back with Phil Ball; frozen, wet, face hail-lacerated. Just as the wing snapped, Phil said "there is no better way to spend a Sunday, is there", and I had to agree.
Anyway, now my scores are in, I have turned to the prop, as intended. Expert Gavin Manion has generously given me a couple of blade blanks to play with, and here they are. They certainly look the business - more than my paddle which has reverted to flatness. The new prop is 6g lighter too. I look forward to trying it out next weekend. It does look a little incongruous on this old design!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

People just don't understand the allure of flying free flight in the Winter in the UK, do they  Cheesy

Gliders are a part of me.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »

People just don't understand the allure of flying free flight in the Winter in the UK, do they  Cheesy

and it's the 1st Area meeting on Sunday, coupe, E36, mini vint & combined power plus a couple of other classes. The wind forecast has now dropped to below 40 mph so it'll be a nice relaxing day Roll Eyes
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »

I'm ready. I've assembled a selection of coats and will buy a woolly hat tomorrow. My coupe now has a prop with a twist in it, so watch out.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »

I'm ready. I've assembled a selection of coats and will buy a woolly hat tomorrow. My coupe now has a prop with a twist in it, so watch out.

For the hat or the prop Bill  Grin

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »

My late Dad had a woolly hat for every contest of the season - even the 'summer' ones.
If we'd ever run out of oil, he could have carried on flying power for a couple of season just wringing out the fuel from his hats.........
......or maybe he would have let me lube the motors for my Coupes with it (to stay on topic).  Cheesy

I well remember as a teenager getting a Coupe to do more than a minute for the first time, and I even had one that needed a DT when I was about 15.
JB

Gliders are a part of me.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »

Response to #276

Bill,
I have never met Gavin Manion and he doesn’t know me but he sure knows propellers.  I have had an unbridled interest in them for as long as I can remember so please pass on to him my regards for something beautiful.

I also notice you have one of those big, vulgar SMAE transfers.  Is it a treasure from the past or are they selling them again?  Good Luck with the Coupes.  They really are the best FF class – a challenge for everyone and yet within everyone’s reach.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2015, 07:03:38 AM »

John

I'm surprised that you've not met Gavin over the years - lovely chap that he is  Wink The prop blades he uses are based on those by Edgardo Figueroa shown in the FFQ coupe book.

I have to say that Bill's Baron Knight with a twin blade folder reminds me of the coupes JOD used to fly in later years.

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »

Response to #276

Bill,
I have never met Gavin Manion and he doesn’t know me but he sure knows propellers.  I have had an unbridled interest in them for as long as I can remember so please pass on to him my regards for something beautiful.

Hi John. Elsewhere on the forum there was some discussion about pre-tensioning/stop screw and whether the last few turns actually do anything. My 'new' prop is lighter so I will have to re-trim and I tried a very few turns on a football field last night. Even with just 20 turns I could see the prop was pulling the model along and maintaining height - opposite to my experience with an Urchin which did not stop/fold on time.
I know we are straying off topic but as far as I'm concerned, this Postal has encouraged me to have a go at Coupe and, while I don't want to go hi-tech, I am interested in fitting a modern prop to some of the older, balsa designs.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »

Mark, as close as I can guess the end of winter here in Oregon is March 19th.My friend and I are just finishing our "My Coupe's" (mine is done and he is just about done covering his) and I thought I should check to see if the 19th is last day for your postal.So far the only days  that have been flyable are work days.Will send a picture of the two after he finishes his. Smiley 
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

Bruce,
Those in the Northern Hemisphere (includes Oregon) have through the end of March, 2015.

Thanks for the interest.  My apology for the delay in reply.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:03 AM »

This cup will be awarded to the 1st place builder/flyer for this postal Coupe d'Hiver contest.  The cup itself is solid brass and is approximately 70 years old.  Plaques will be awarded to 2nd and 3rd place finishers.   The contest will end at the end of this month.  Good luck to all those who have yet to make their flights.

Mark
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »

Here are a couple of beautiful coupes.  These are the "My Coupe" renditions by my clubmates and friends, FF Bruce and Marty T, as mentioned above.  They put in their postal flights today, and I was there for the last couple of flights.  These planes fly as good as they look!

--Bill

Good air don't care!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »

I saw the bones of FF Bruce's plane when I was there in February. Gorgeous workmanship as usual. Can't wait to see one fly.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »

I wasn't sure how much fun a postal meet could be,well I have to say it was a blast.For a week we watched the weather forecast, Sun. looked like it could be flyable and it turned out to be a great day for free flight.After a 125 mile drive we set up with no wind at all.  Our club president came out and timed all of our flights.It was sorta like a test fly session but with a need to always try and find good air.We used a streamer from a 12' pole and my favorite cat tail fluffies.My friend Marty Thompson  has lost some of the use of his right hand so I did the winding for the both of us.The models flew real well, the thermals where light but good enough for two min. We didn't max out but after 5 flights each we tied.The end to a perfect day,ten offical flights ,beautiful day and a new appreciation  for the simple pre 1970 coupe flyiers.Now that we have these coupes I hope we can do it again next year.My thanks to Mark for running the postal and after it's all over would love to see all the flight times a countries that flew in it. Cheesy Grin  Bruce Hannah   
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

I didn't get my coupe finished this year. I hope we can arrange to do this again next year and I will get mine done and flown. Glad you had so much fun this year, if you were able to take part in this fun event. Grin Grin Embarrassed
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:48 AM »

Beautiful Coupes  Bruce and Marty, Glad you fellas had a good time flying them, so much more fun when you share it with a fellow flyer.
Free Flight EMT
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »

Mark, I'd like to Thank You for all you've done to make the 1960's Coupe d'Hiver Postal Competition possible. FF Bruce and I flew our models and turned in our times last weekend in Oregon and it looks like we got them in just in time. The rest of Winter in Central Oregon and the Valley looks terrible! We built and flew Bill Vanderbeek's design "My Coupe". Our goal was to build these models exclusively for the Postal Competition. We can use them in our northwest competitions in the future but there isn't much interest in the "Old School Coupes". We do have the "Best" Coupe Flyer in the World, Tiffaney O'Dell at our competitions so maybe we will fly with her? I would really appreciate being able to see all the results from all the participants and countries who participated in your very fun competition. Thanks again for all your hard work and as for "Me" I had a Blast!! Marty Thompson
Free Flight EMT
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »

Quote from: Free Flight EMT link=topic=16375.msg161006#msg161006 date=14263
[/quote
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

Two weeks remaining in this 1960s Cd'H postal competition for those flying in the Northern Hemisphere.  Time is running out.   Good luck to those yet to fly and my thanks to those who have participated already.

Mark
Free Flight EMT
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

Two weeks remaining in this 1960s Cd'H postal competition for those flying in the Northern Hemisphere.  Time is running out.   Good luck to those yet to fly and my thanks to those who have participated already

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2015, 04:07:46 AM »

Following pressure from my training team, I have re-trimmed the Baron Knight to fly right/left. I don't like all the sidethrust - there must be friction losses on my simple wire shaft - but it certainly looks good. There is a positive right turn right up to prop fold, whereupon it goes straight into the turn. No long straight bit to lengthen the walk there and back.
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »

I'm glad to see that this class of balsa and tissue of older era models has been brought back. It looks to be a tradition of fun flying as it is meant to be.
I would like to take part in this event but my skill of fabricating a front end and prop making maybe  beyond my reach...

Thank all of you for bringing back a lost tradition..
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »

Craig,don't sell your self short.If you can build a model then the front end is just one more part.My first ones were not pretty,once even carved a prop backwards.Now I love to carve and make many of my friends props.There are many ways to make one,you can form them around a large can or if needed find a friend to give you a hand .If they have this event next year I hope you will try and join us.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: