Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 27, 2019, 09:02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 148476 times)
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »

Mark I just received the plaque.It is very nice and was well worth the effort.Will take it to Marty(we are sharing it) tomorrow after I feed his cat.He won't be going to his house for a few months.Count us in if you do it again.     Thanks, Bruce
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »

ANNOUNCEMENT

The 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal Contest will be held again for 2015-2016.  Rules will remain as before; see first post in this thread.  PLEASE read them again before building a model or any flying.  Models already in hand may be used.

That means flying for modellers in the southern hemisphere will commence on June 1, 2015, a little more than a month from now.

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »

Great news Mark.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »

Good hopefully this year the weather will allow me to get some times in...

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »

I hope someone here is able to talk me thru printing the rules for the event without printing all the notes . I just want the rules. I know what I will be building for the next go at this great event. I jhave a friend who is already building his coupe so maybe he can time for me and vice versa.

Thanks Mark for keeping this postal alive.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »

My smart daughter figured out how to print the rules so I won't need you all to try. I have them printed just fine.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2015, 03:26:03 AM »

Thanks Mark!  Grin  a month  Shocked  thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby!  Surely using existing models is cheating  Grin though it would save some time.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2015, 03:35:51 AM »

Surely using existing models is cheating
No! You can't expect people to build a new model for one comp. However, I shall have to, since I have butchered my Baron Knight for a two blade prop. Now I have to start looking around. I fancy something French but not too weird.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »

Bill you missed this  Grin out of my quote
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:25 AM »

Ah, sorry Dave! I don't really get the face thingys. In fact I've only just noticed the row of faces here. And now I see that each one has an explanation! The one with the big eyes I assumed meant 'must stop doping in a closed room'
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

This is good news,must start making up motors so I can start flying in NOV.  Cheesy Man that is a long time to wait.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »

Man that is a long time to wait.

Just explain to the wife that you need to make a trip to Australia or NZ.

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »

I'll offer a bed if you make the trip.....but I wouldn't bother just yet-the weather here right now is appalling....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »

I'm giving this some serious thought, as Coupe was my favourite years ago.
Pity about the cut-off, though - Mike Fantham had a very pretty Coupe called Pawnee in the early 70's.
Still, no problem, plenty more to choose from  Smiley
John

Gliders are a part of me.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »

As several people have asked for earlier and later models to be included in the scope of eligibility, I will give some explanation for keeping the rules as they are and limiting the selection of models to designs published in the 1960s.

First, the rules say the model's plan must have been published between Jan, 1960 and Dec 1969.  That's a cut and dried criteria....no stretching the time span either way with arguments; the onus is on the modeler/modeller to have proof of eligibility in hand if challenged.  Numerous eligible designs have been presented in this thread and in the earlier locked thread about this postal.  There's more than enough to choose from and you're certainly free to go find more eligible designs.

Second, I did not want to overlap the existing vintage coupe competitions commonly flown in France, the UK and elsewhere.  Those are for earlier models, maybe someone can let us know the exact cut-off dates.  I seem to have lost the date(s).

Third, I wanted the models to be simple in the hopes that those new to aeromodeling/aeromodelling and others who have not tried and are not likely to try modern FAI F1G Coupe would jump in and have a go.  Models from the 1960s were simple by today's standards and built of the common model building materials of balsa, tissue and wire.  Nothing fancy, just a straightforward rubber powered endurance model.  HPA is all about experiencing the enjoyment of flying a model you built with your own two hands. That's what Cd'H used to be.

Forth, while Coupe d'Hiver in France and possibly neighboring countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland) was flown back to the late 1930s, the event was local to those areas.   I think Cd'H was first noticed in the UK in 1961 and in the USA about 1964, Australia near the end of the decade.  So earlier models for countries other than France and nearby neighbors don't really exist.

I recently had the opportunity to make a full size copy of the plan for the Sky d'Hiver that appeared in the March, 1965 issue of the British magazine Model Aircraft.  I think this model is ideal for anyone wanting to have a first go with this postal.  It's extremely simple and the little article that comes with it, reproduced here, is full of exactly the kind of information one needs to built and fly including a bill of material.  Would it win?  I doubt it.  But I think this event is more about joining in the fun than about winning.  It's about learning something new, seeing how others tackle the problems, and making new friends.  Look at some of the posts in the more recent part of this thread and you will see the few modelers who did take part in 2014-2015 did have fun.   So, please consider joining us and promoting this postal locally as you can.  If you'd like a copy of the Sky d'Hiver plan, I can mail you one for costs.   The full rules for this postal contest may be found in the very first post of this thread; add one year to the dates specified therein.

Thank you.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:30:30 PM by Mark Braunlich » Logged

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »

Mark,
Good.
Bill

PS just cutting ribs for a My Coupe, having modified my Baron Knight out of contention. In fact the layouts of both models, apart from losing the tips, is the same - even the sections and spar sizes/location
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »

Bill,
Could you build another fuselage for the Baron to get it back to eligible?  Assumes you still have the original propeller.

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2015, 01:49:31 AM »

Hi Mark
No, I don't have the prop either so it is too much work just for five flights. The My Coupe will be competitive in F1G too, so it's a more attractive proposition and only a week's work at most.
Having seen the change in performance with a two blade prop (with a decent twist) I wouldn't go back to the BK prop.
Bill
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:30 AM »

Mark,

Having listened to Sean O'Connor (Soc on Hipppocket) at the last club meeting I have decided that I will join in the postal I have decided to build the CdH by Geo Batiuk, much thanks to Rich Wegener for creating the drawings in the plan gallery.

I will start with the bit that I'm most unfamiliar with, the prop and prop stop mechanism.

I have one question. the plan shows the diameter and pitch of the prop but provides no construction notes. what are the acceptable methods of making the blades , can I laminate a fan of balsa strips at the correct pitch ?

Korale
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »

Korale,
For your propeller, you may fill in the missing bits with anything you like as long as it is not more modern than '60s practice.  You may make balsa blades by carving them, molding them, fan of strips, whatever you like.

Cheers,

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2015, 06:59:52 AM »

I am going to write a short piece for Aeromodeller to publicise the event. If any of those of you who put photos of your models on here are able to send me high resolution pics, I'd be very grateful.
Bill
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »

Hi Bill
I'll try to assist your good work, but could you clarify two points.
How high a resolution is desired ?
One cannot send attachments via the HPA mail system so an email is needed.

Sean

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2015, 03:15:05 AM »

Hi Sean
Many thanks. I'll pm you my email. The editor likes a resolution of approaching 1mb
cheers
Bill
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

Just a reminder that the 2015-2016 version of this postal has started and those living south of the equator can be flying NOW through the end September 2015.  Please post photos here of any building or flying activity associated with this event.  If you don't, I shall have to post photos of my own build  Wink.

Thank you.

Mark
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »

Thanks for the reminder. This ought to get the flyers/builders hopping to get things done. Thanks again for running the event and sticking your own models into the fray. Lets get busy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: