Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2019, 10:34:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 151534 times)
gman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2016, 03:19:30 AM »

Yes, thanks once again Mark, and congratulations to all who built and flew.
I´m glad you are running it again but I shall be using my same model which should be trimmed by next winter! I might have to holiday in the Florida winter this time.
Bill
G GRELL
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »

Thank you to Mark for running the postal contest and congratulations to all who flew. It was a great thrill to me to be able to fly the same Auntie Freez  that my father built some 52 years ago for a postal contest.
Glenn
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: April 04, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »

I'd like to second Dave's remarks (and those of Bill and Glen)
Thank you Mark for your organisation and decision to continue for another year.

I am surprised and of course pleased to see that I got the highest score once again.

I'd like to point out that Mike Glaister's Deuzio weighs in at 92 gm without rubber, so it's effectively a 100gm coupe.
Never the less it's a fine stable flyer easily able to max in neutral conditions.
Mike was unlucky to pick worse air on his duff flight, than I did on my mine.
So if you want to participate in the next round, and don't have a favourite, try Deuzio!

Sean
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: April 04, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »

Thank you Mark for your effort to run this postal competition !!! And compliments to the winner and all other participants.
Building the model and flying it (little) brought back many nice memory's and I am only sorry that I could not convince others to join in.

Now, personally speaking, it is not easy to become last, so I will try hard next year to equal my performance once more  Grin

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2016, 04:51:44 PM »

Drum roll please....

Results of the 2015/2016 1960s Coupe d’Hiver Postal Contest

1st           Sean O'Connor          AUS   Dwarf Dip III       97  120  120  120  120 = 577
2nd          Mike Glaister            AUS   Deuzio              120   80  120  120  120 = 560
3rd           Glenn Grell              USA   Auntie Freeze     120  120   62  120  120 = 542
4th           Dave Putterill           AUS   Deuzio              103  120   96  120   53  = 492
5th           Chris Murphy             NZ   Baron Knight II    72   106   76   93   95  = 442
6th           Tim Harward-Brown  AUS   Guy Cognet        109   69    82  120  53  = 433
7th           Bill Dennis                UK    My Coupe           73   102   65   39  120 = 399
8th           Urs Schaller              IT     Auntie Freeze      32    39    46    -    -   = 117

Congratulations once again to Sean O'Connor with his Dwarf Dip III ! (insert hardy round of applause)

Plaques are being prepared for those placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  They will be mailed out in a couple of weeks.

As interest is (slowly) growing in this postal, I will undertake to direct it again for 2016-2017.   That means that those in the Southern Hemisphere can start official flights with old or new models on
1 June, 2016.

...I'll have to build a new one anyway=the Baron Knight was taken by Hung about a month after I recorded my flight times for the postal-and joins the long list of models I've lost at Carterton over the past 33 years.....pity really after only getting it back a year or so back (see early in this thread)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: April 05, 2016, 01:26:28 AM »

Chris, I´d be interested to hear about your experience with the single blade prop.The original article gave it a 20 second run but I did not find that to be so
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:13 AM »

Bill I think the prop was the weakest part of the whole design (performance wise not structurally!)-too little area, too little pitch. Very early on in the original model's life I went to a 2 bladed setup (but reverted to 'as plan' for the Postal-you will recall that it was a mongrel model with a 30+ year old set of flying surfaces, a new built fuselage and a new-old prop assembly. I generally use Champion Coupe blades on all my coupes these days.....and since these (the blades) are a barefaced swipe of Bob White's Coupe prop design....they can't be that bad!  I have a few ideas for 'genetic engineering' on them-ideas Mr Woodhouse would no doubt be familiar with and approve of....involving rohacell and carbon cloth...I imagine you can guess where this is going...time and inclination however.....

Chris
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:43 AM »

Thanks Chris - yes, as I have said before, my BK was transformed with two proper blades.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »

Congratulations are in order for all of you who put one together and got them flying. I will try desperately to join in on next years go for this event.

Thanks are in order to Mark for hosting the contest.

flyace in San Antonio,Tx
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:37 AM »

Come on Flyace, get'em building. You have lot's of time ahead  Grin
The more, the better.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Urs. I will build the Nikolina and perhaps an Auntie Freeze. Don't have a big flying field but will travel to a contest in order to have a large area to have a go. I have built a coupe back a few years but it was too new for this contest. I built the Fludy Coupe designed by George Perryman and kitted by Campbells Custom Kits. I do have the Souper Coupe designed by Lee Campbell short kit. Boy it has a big plan for it. Guess I better close for now. Everybody have a nice day.
cd_webb
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: April 06, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »

I'd like to add my thanks to Mark as well, and compliments to all who flew. I wish I could come up with an acceptable excuse for my lack participation in the '15 - '16 contest, but if it kills me I'll be involved in next year's (in spite of the guarantee of embarrassing scores) .

Even though the "new" hasn't been worn off the Nikolina yet, at some point this fall, the plan is to build another small coupe. This one will be from a "Flying Models" article from September of 1967. Joe Bilgri's "Mini".  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:31:53 PM by cd_webb » Logged
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »

If Sean O'Connor, Mike Glaister and Glenn Grell will PM me and give me your mailing address, I can send out the plaques.  They are ready to go.

Thank you,
Mark

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »

Just a reminder that for those living south of the equator, the 2016-2017 1960s Coupe d'Hiver postal begins on 1 June and runs through the end of September.

Also, there's been some good discussion on C d'H trim here:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20742.0

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »

Please read:

1960s Winter Cup Postal Rules

•   Dates of the Third competition:  In keeping with the spirit of a winter free flight event, those living in the Southern Hemisphere will fly June-Sept, 2016.   Those living in the Northern Hemisphere will fly in Dec, 2016 through March, 2017.  Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans.

•   Models must be built from plans or 3-views published between January, 1960 and December, 1969 (inclusive).    Earlier models that were published in the 1960s may   be flown.  Models designed in the 1960s that were not published until later may not be flown in this competition.

•   In the event that models are built to small 3-views lacking detail or clarity, the competitor is allowed to improvise for the missing details but the model should be completed with 1960s’ technology and materials.  Models must not be “modernized” with materials that were not in common use in that decade.  For example, covering should be tissue paper, Silkspan or Modelspan.

•   Each competitor is responsible for being able to prove, if challenged, that the model in question was published in the 1960s time frame.  It is suggested that such documentation be in hand before any given model is constructed for this competition.

•   Models must not include VIT, folding wings, or other functions and materials common in modern F1G practice. (No carbon fiber, Kevlar, Mylar)

•   The D/T function should, if possible, be provided with whatever was used on the original for the timing function.  A mechanical timer may only be used if there is shown to exist, documentation that such a timer is appropriate to the airframe in question during the 1960s or if a burning fuse type is illegal in your locale.  Viscous timers are also permitted.

•   Models originally designed for 90gram airframes with 10gram motors may be lightened for this competition.

•   Each competitor may fly up to (3) three models but may enter only once.

•   Models must weigh in excess of 70.0 grams less motor.

•   Maximum weight of the motor lubricated is 10.0 grams.

•   Each competitor is on their honor to fly a model to the weight requirements.  The timesheet shall include an initialed statement that the weight of the airframe and the    motor(s) used in the official flights meet the weight requirements.

•   Models shall be hand launched.   Jumping is allowed.

•   Each competitor is entitled to (5) five official flights with a maximum of 120 seconds for each official flight.

•   Each competitor shall declare to his/her timekeeper that an official flight is being attempted.

•   The timekeeper shall record the duration of the first attempt of the official flight unless the flight is unsuccessful.

•   An unsuccessful attempt shall be any flight of less than 20 seconds.

•   A second unsuccessful attempt at the official flight shall be recorded as a zero time flight.

•   The timekeeper should be positioned near the point of launching and may not follow the model.

•   If (5) five maxes are recorded by a competitor, additional official flight(s) shall be flown with maximum flight duration increasing in 30 second increments, 150, 180, 210, 240 seconds, etc.

•   The competitor and timekeeper shall sign their time-sheet and e-mail a scanned image of same to the Contest Director, Mark Braunlich or another delegated to fill the CD role in the event that would be necessary.  Do NOT post your official times in this thread or elsewhere on HPA.

•   The three top placing competitors will be awarded modest plaques provided by myself.  All entrants are encouraged to engage in friendly competition, make new    s friends and above all: have fun.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »

The competition window for the Third (2016-2017) 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal opens at midnight (your local time) for all competitors south of the equator.  The Southern Hemisphere window runs from 1 June through 30 September, 2016.

Competitors north of the equator will fly 1 December 2016 through 31 March 2017.

Good luck to all fliers and assistants.

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »

I was pleased that my My Coupe placed second at the UK Nats. Pleased because it is old fashioned and made out of wood and tissue. I have developed my thermal detecting skills to a fine degree. I wind up the model, face the wind and when it feels a bit warmer than it was, I chuck it. Alternatively I wait until Ivan waves at me to go from the hot dog van upwind.
D/T
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

Bill
I saw some of your flights, being near your launch area and you flew well in tricky conditions, and also wisely got them in before the wind increased even more. And I like wood and tissue!
Don
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: July 04, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »

Well having lost the resurrected Baron Knight to Hung as detailed above I'm going to try and get something built in a hurry before Sept 30.....by a process of elimination (or Hobson's choice!) it will have to be the 'Deuzio' since I have the full size plan courtesy the December 1969 issue of Aeromodeller. I'll set myself a target of having it built by the end of July, trimmed by the end of August and times by the end of September!......there's a LOT of wood in it-so I'm going to have to be very fussy with the wood selection....the AM plan gives zero info about the prop other than the blade shape-fortunately in an earlier 1969 issue there's report of the French Coupe international that it won, and mentions the prop as 400 x 480.....a bit low in P/D by modern standards-but at least I can now replicate it....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

PS Pics will follow when there has been sufficient progress to justify them....!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:14 AM »

Chris, was it a 80g or 100g model?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: July 05, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »

Chris, was it a 80g or 100g model?

Bill-it's not entirely clear. The event was the 1969 Coupe d'Hiver International held at Chavenay, France Feb 23rd 1969. The contest report-by John O'Donnell- was published in the May issue of AM (p235-7)-whether John was responsible for the subsequent publication of the full size plan of the Deuzio in the Dec 69 issue I couldn't say-it does use 'anglicised' material sizes whereas if it was of french origin I would expect metric sizes. .....but JOD may well have measured the winning model and noted all the details-he was renowned for this sort of thing after all.
     I'm inclined to think it was an 80g class as the contest report makes no mention of multiple classes being flown....

Chris
D/T
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: July 05, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »

It is clear, the Deuzio plan states "80g min total weight".
Cheers
Don
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: July 05, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »

Ah. Well good luck with that!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: July 05, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »

Just spoke to John, and it was a 80g contest and model
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: July 05, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »

It is clear, the Deuzio plan states "80g min total weight".
Cheers
Don

Quite right you are too Don-I don't know how I missed that-its quite clearly there in black and white!..........probably because I was fixated on the lack of adequate prop and noseblock information on the plan....and looking for more info elsewhere.

chrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: