Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 06:06:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 151647 times)
ffkiwi, AAdamisin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: October 02, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »

Mike Glaister has been tinkering with his Ferion and refurbished his Deuzios (yet again).
He also built the Matherat design (plan below), but is having trouble with the boom.

I never have got to learn how to "insert quote" but it's the Matherat coupe bit I'm commenting on. I'm sure that, despite AM's assurances, that is not Matherat's model. I reckon it's Sargentini's winner (cos that's what it said on the lovely French (ex Peetee) plan I built mine from. I flew it in the postal this year but found it surprisingly difficult to get to go well. Mind, if Matherat didn't build it he was certainly breathing closely down Sargentini's neck. They were clubmates, and it shows!
Gavin
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: October 02, 2019, 01:27:49 PM »

Unfortunately Gavin is right. The model shown in the Aeromodeller book is the Sargentini version but was drawn by Georges Matherat. I'm surprised it hasn't flown better, give it a 'proper' Gavin bung! Grin

Peter
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: October 02, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »

Mark I would like to thank you for running this event. I know I can speak for the guys here in Oregon we had a blast. Many have shown interest in building a 60's couple for next year. I say the more the merrier and will do my best at keeping the pressure on.      Bruce
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2019, 05:55:10 AM »

Yes Mark, in the excitement around who actually authored that particular French Classic, I forgot to thank you for running this event this year and for committing to doing it all again for next. I flew it for the first time this year with my long time flying mate Stu Darmon. We had a great time with balsa, spruce, tissue and DT fuse on a day which was much better than our performance. We both agreed that it felt much more like flying in a contest than either of us had expected. We are looking forward to doing it again this coming spring, I might build a Duzio..?
UK flyers please note that you will be eligible for liquid and other goodies if you top "classic coupe" at this December's Birmingham Coupe Event.
Gavin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: October 03, 2019, 06:11:29 AM »

Hi Gavin. I haven't competed in this Postal for a couple of years because it has pushed me to build better coupes for our F1G comps and I can't be energised to build a classic just for this. If there was a separate class, maybe. They hold much more interest for me than vintage coupes, but I wouldn't want to fly one in your event, for example because I know I could do better with a newer one.
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: October 03, 2019, 06:14:24 AM »

Mark I would like to thank you for running this event.

Hear, hear! The Coupe Postal fills a void in the dead season for contests, with some interesting designs. Lets keep it going.

Don
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: October 03, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »

I can second Bruce Hannah. It was a great day to be outdoors doing what we have fun doing with good friends. Guaranteed it was a long wait to contest time, made shorter by your event. Thanks Mark for hosting and supporting the event.

Bill Swift
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: October 03, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »

Glad to see this postal event will continue. Thank you Mark . Should hopefully  enter this go round.
G GRELL
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: October 03, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »

Thank you Mark for running the coupe postal it has been a great time. Hope to see every one back next year and a lot of new flyers.
Glenn
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: October 19, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »

RN models kitted the Maverick and the Slats. Supposedly, one could build them for unlimited or for coupe. Does anyone know when each was first kitted or published? Are they worth bothering with?
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: October 20, 2019, 09:13:41 PM »

A 1963 publish date for a very early American C d'H.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: November 03, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »

Looking at Pouliquen's "68 - 03", but it has an anhedral tail - a major P in the A. Is there any benefit, at all, of an anhedral tail, other than discernibility in a crowded flyoff?!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: November 08, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the recent absence.  Several personal issues getting in the way.   We will however press on with the 2019-2020 postal with no changes to the rules.  The window for contestants to fly in the Northern Hemisphere is Dec-1 through March 31 of 2020.  So, northern modelers get ready for the annual fun....coming soon to a field near you.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: November 13, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »

Hello all,

for the forthcoming Coupe d'Hiver postal competition I would like to build one of the '60 Argentine models. On the page
volarlibrementerubber.blogspot.com
I found three drawings

JULIETO by Oskar Lastra 1967
HUARPE by E. Scotto 1969
GADGET Huh

Al three models have many features in common, but unfortunately the drawings are so badly scanned that it's impossible to read the text/remarks.

Does anybody have better scans or access to the original drawings Huh

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: November 13, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »

Back home, here the drawings I found.

Urs
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:41:41 PM by USch » Logged

Fast up-Slow down
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: November 13, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »

Urs, the Huarpe looks very nice. Can you read the span, or any dimension?
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: November 13, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »

Unfortunately not, I can decipher the surface of the Julieto with 9,174dm^2. But that's about it. But in that way I can calculate the span-chord with about 880mm span and 104mm chord.

In the meantime I wrote to the Argentine Aeromodellisme Federation because al drawings are numbered and recall the federation.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »

Urs, I think I can help with a better drawing for the Gadjet. Problem is that I've got a number of Gadjets (!)  but amongst them I have found a model without a pylon, with a sheet fin/underfin and with square tipped flying surfaces. It is, apparently, Gadjet II but I cannot confirm that it's of "classic" era as Andre Meritte seems to have re-drawn his early models in batches (i think for Vol Libre) and this is dated 09/79 though I'm very sure that it's a much earlier model. The other problem is that the ancient Kindle on which the drawing resides is defeating my efforts to attach it here. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll send it to you, then you are very free to circulate it on HPA. I think it's a 1967/68 model but I cannot be sure.
Gavin

Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: November 16, 2019, 08:23:05 PM »

Please read:

1960s  Winter Cup Postal Rules:

•   Dates of the Sixth competition:  In keeping with the spirit of a winter free flight event, those living in the Northern Hemisphere will fly in Dec, 2019 through March,2020.  Those living in the Southern Hemisphere will fly June-Sept, 2020.    Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans.

•   Models must be built from plans or 3-views published between January, 1960 and December, 1969 (inclusive).    Earlier models that were published in the 1960s may be flown.  Models designed in the 1960s that were not published until later may not be flown in this competition.

•   In the event that models are built to small 3-views lacking detail or clarity, the competitor is allowed to improvise for the missing details but the model should be completed with 1960s’ technology and materials.  Models must not be “modernized” with materials that were not in common use in that decade.  For example, covering should be tissue paper, Silkspan or Modelspan.

•   Each competitor is responsible for being able to prove, if challenged, that the model in question was published in the 1960s time frame.  It is suggested that such
         documentation be in hand before any given model is constructed for this competition.

•   Models must not include VIT, folding wings, or other functions and materials common in modern F1G practice. (No carbon fiber, Kevlar, Mylar)

•   The D/T function should, if possible, be provided with whatever was used on the original for the timing function.  A mechanical timer may only be used if there is shown to exist, documentation that such a timer is appropriate to the airframe in question during the 1960s or if a burning fuse type is illegal in your locale.  Viscous timers are also permitted.

•   Models originally designed for 90gram airframes with 10gram motors may be lightened for this competition.

•   Each competitor may fly up to (3) three models but may enter only once.

•   Models must weigh in excess of 70.0 grams less motor.

•   Maximum weight of the motor lubricated is 10.0 grams.

•   Each competitor is on their honor to fly a model to the weight requirements.  The timesheet shall include an initialed statement that the weight of the airframe and the   motor(s) used in the official flights meet the weight requirements.

•   Models shall be hand launched.   Jumping is allowed.

•   Each competitor is entitled to (5) five official flights with a maximum of 120 seconds for each official flight.

•   Each competitor shall declare to his/her timekeeper that an official flight is being attempted.

•   The timekeeper shall record the duration of the first attempt of the official flight unless the flight is unsuccessful.

•   An unsuccessful attempt shall be any flight of less than 20 seconds.

•   A second unsuccessful attempt at the official flight shall be recorded as a zero time flight.

•   The timekeeper should be positioned near the point of launching and may not follow the model.

•   If (5) five maxes are recorded by a competitor, additional official flight(s) shall be flown with maximum flight duration increasing in 30 second increments, 150, 180, 210, 240 seconds, etc.

•   The competitor and timekeeper shall sign their time-sheet and e-mail a scanned image of same to the Contest Director, Mark Braunlich or another delegated to fill the CD role in the event that would be necessary.  Do NOT post your official times in this thread or elsewhere on HPA.

•   The three top placing competitors will be awarded modest plaques provided by myself.  All entrants are encouraged to engage in friendly competition, make new  friend and above all: have fun.

Mark
AAdamisin
Copper Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »

Hello group.

I've been following this thread with much interest.  I have never built a Coupe or anything meant for outdoor rubber flying.  I used to compete in indoor scale more years ago than I wish to admit.  But I have decided to give this a shot.

I have selected the French Coupe from post #620 and Lyle Elea's coupe from post #660.  I live close enough to Muncie that I hope to get my flights in there. 

I have finished tracing the 3-views and made plans using Draft Site.  Let the balsa cutting begin!! 

I'll post pics when I get the pile of balsa parts cut and in order.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: November 18, 2019, 08:23:50 PM »

Late to the party again !
It takes ages to get back to postponed tasks these days.

Congratulations to Bruce Hanna and Glen Grell on their 1st and 2nd places in the 18/19 event
I'm pleased to have been displaced to third spot but not quite shoved off the podium.
Actually I hear that Vin Morgan forgot to replace some packing after DTing on a test flight ( most unlike Vin )
before his 93 sec Ist round, so he should probabbly be in 3rd spot or higher.

Gavin, I knew about the Sargentini/Matherat confusion and used the latter name because that was Mike's choice.
I enjoyed your informative Basplum article in New Clarion.
Note that it is eligible in 60s CdH (as pointed out by Lincoln some where down the thread,
due to being published in Zaic's 59-61 year book).
You mention an "even better Jossien Low Winger, a big (125mm chord) tip dihedral device which looks like it would go really
well....but it’s 1960" which would definitely be of interest here.
Might you show it to us, or point us to a source ?

Urs, I have higher resolution versions of the Julieto and Gadjet drawings (attached in halves)
I can send them to you if you PM me.
You can see "Andre Meritte" in the box at lower right on the Gadjet drawing
so you could probably get the scale from other versions of his design.
Julieto can be scaled from the dimensions on the prop, 100 & 160.
The design is probably derived from Landeau's Loque Bis which has the same distinctive fin and major dimensions.

I realised while mucking about with the scans that they are probably 50 px per inch, so easy to rescale from that.

I originally had the Huarpe drawing as well but the poor quality and the impractically slim rear end led to it being erased.
I might still have it on an old disk drive somewhere.

I think these images came from the FAA site some years ago when they were accessible.

Sean
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: