Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2020, 02:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 159334 times)
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: March 29, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »

Strange thing about shapes and how we see them in various pictures.

Looking at the 3th pictures in Chris reply #718 with the blade on the Winchester bottle  Huh (know only a gun named Winchester)  the shape is similar to the published one. On the next photo with the finished model (nice color-mix, btw), the shape look's much more rounded of. Much similar to a "normal" blade.
Or maybe Chris had taken out his sanding block in the meantime and given a heavy pass-over to the blades?

Question's one follows because he is locked-down by a virus, to much free-time  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Urs

For Urs' ongoing education Wink - 'Winchester' is a term specifically applied to large glass (and sometimes metal) bottles used in laboratories for storage of solvents, acids, bases and other liquids -they usually hold 2.5 litres (occasionally 3.8...one US gallon) and often come with a lifting 'lug' built into the neck area (visible in the photo-the glass ones have it moulded into the bottle).....glass ones are usually -but not exclusively-brown glass to afford a degree of light protection to the contents. Most laboratory or higher grade (analytical, synthesis, spectroscopy, HPLC) liquid chemicals are supplied in this form of container....lesser grades tend to come in larger volumes like the near ubitquitous 20-l and 200l-l drums.

In recent times-say the last 30+ years or so-plastic Winchesters have also come into limited use for the more benign liquids such as alcohols, glycerol and the like..

AFAIK there is NO connection with the Winchester of firearms fame....though there may be a connection to the UK city of Winchester...

Over the years when moulding props I've always found it hard to find a suitable large diameter container in the home-even coffee tins are too small-and I've never tried the 'bucket method' [which requires some minor adjustments from the 'slap your soaked blank on the form at a 15 degree angle sloped to the left' approach] so being surrounded by Winchesters in my day to day profession in earlier times-I acquired a few empty ones-especially the spun aluminium ones which make great bulk fuel storage containers-the one in the photo originally held ether, and was a Merck product line. If you use too small a diameter can-you end up with a ridiculous amount of undercamber in the blade....and a section that is more benedeck 6409 than clark Y....

The colour scheme was not my usual 'signature' one-but as it was a French design I did deliberately give a nod to the french tricolour with my choice of tissue-whilst also trying to utilise scraps and off cuts...

Having just moved house in the past month-the model is buried in my Coupe box somewhere in the jungle of unpacked items in the garage-if I can extricate it without too much drama I'll photograph the prop assembly with the blades open, and you can form your own opinions of the finished shape.

ChrisM
  'ffkiwi'
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: March 31, 2020, 02:01:15 PM »

Is it possible to access the ducts in your homes? I think George Perryman used the ducts that he had in his workshop , btw he called the room the Gloryhole. He had a nice habit of using what was available. The ducts would be in the air conditioning system or the heat system depending on the temperature in Smyrna, Ga at the time.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: March 31, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »

For Urs' ongoing education Wink - 'Winchester' is a term …..

Thank you Chris for your effort to educate and teach this young lad  Cheesy

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: April 01, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »

The window for official flights in the Northern Hemisphere is closed.

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: April 06, 2020, 04:39:30 AM »

And as promised-the Deuzio prop assembly [I had a productive weekend sorting out the garage.....and re-discovered many missing and interesting thynges....]  -in its machete like glory... The prop assembly shows a few scars by now....including a double amputation incident early on....!

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: April 06, 2020, 05:32:21 AM »

Thanks Chris for the picture.
Not that I ever will build a Deuzio, but for the sake of wondering about how we "interprete" pictures. Looking at the last pic the shape is quite similar to the original drawing, looking at the last picture in reply #718 it seems a completely different blade.

That makes me wonder when I read from scale builders that define a shape or a wing washout from photos.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »

Thanks Chris for the picture.
Not that I ever will build a Deuzio, but for the sake of wondering about how we "interprete" pictures. Looking at the last pic the shape is quite similar to the original drawing, looking at the last picture in reply #718 it seems a completely different blade.

That makes me wonder when I read from scale builders that define a shape or a wing washout from photos.

Urs

well Urs-as I had the fullsize Aeromodeller plan from dec 69, I simply followed the blade outline on the plan-being mindful that this model was specifically being built for the 60s postal-and the need to keep it 'as original'...so that determined the shape. as i recall I used two layers of 1/16" laminated...the sharp rear corner is a little less sharp because by the time i had thinned and sanded down both the thickness from hub to tip plus the airfoil after moulding the blade-there wasn't much strength left in the extreme tip and it frayed a bit, so had to be sanded back slightly....I imagine if I had used a harder (heavier! ) grade of wood for the rear lamination (ie the back of the blade) it might have stood up....but as noted earlier-there is an awful lot of wood in this model and I was conscious of the weight issues...

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: May 31, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

The window for Southern Hemisphere official postal competition flights opens 1 June and will close at the end of September 2020.   Good luck to all those intending to fly down-under.

Mark
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: June 28, 2020, 10:24:48 AM »

Pamela by Alain Landeau... nice build but I like my Fuit-3 better...will trim it soon...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: June 28, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »

oops...Mark already sent the pics in...good on him!!
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: July 12, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »

By chance is the RN Models "Sparrowhawk" in the period for the postal?  It's been around for as long as I can remember.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: July 15, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »

RN Sparrowhawk plan is dated 1984.

Mark
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: July 15, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »

I guess I don't remember very far back.  Grin
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: July 15, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »

I got Pamela out last night for some testing and it didn't disappoint...got up to 500 turns on the 8 x 1/8" motor on our small field and 1 minute D/T...nice smooth glide
and the power climb a little tight so I took out a little right thrust and put a Gurney flap under the right panel...I'm pleased with it...
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: July 21, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »

60s C d'H report from Melbourne Aus

A note to let those of you patiently waiting in the Northern hemisphere that you are not waiting in vain.

There are four of us here hoping to submit scores.
So far its been an exceptional Winter Free Flight weather wise however we have been frustrated by Cov19 restrictions.
Some scores were recorded in June but at the moment it seems we may not get out to the field again before late August.
My new Baron Hunter should be ready by then.
Look out !

Sean
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: July 21, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »

Nice clean lines !...I like this type of models : no frills or excess wood...I feel people shy away from 'coupes because of the CF take-over of construction and don't build any more and I think we are talking about 2 different kinds of people : builders/flyers and people who just want to fly...both are good because we keep FLYING and that's what matters...
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2020, 12:10:41 PM »

Guess I better get the Nikolina started. Then just hope to get a big field in which to fly. Gotta run.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »

I've got my Pamela sorted out so I guess I'd better look for a good day to put my scores up...I'd rather fly the Fuit-3 but them's is the rules...
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »

I've got my Pamela sorted out so I guess I'd better look for a good day to put my scores up.
Skyrocket
Has the Equator moved?!
Don
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2020, 04:53:04 PM »

In the United States, the South starts at something like 35 degrees North.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »

C'mon people, read the rules.  You fly this event in the Winter months; that's why its called the Winter Cup!

Mark
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »

For several years now, I've been able to fly into the first week of Dec and as early as the first week in April so there is hope yet...the big question is going to Muncie for some good flight times...
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: September 08, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »

New to me, from January, 1968 MAN.  Can I get fries with this?

Mark
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: September 08, 2020, 06:39:11 PM »

Curly or sweet potato?
Ian Horne
Nickel Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Make that 5 of us i have 21 days to cover my main wing and test fly, I built a Deuzio, 4 different pitch props and hope to get some scores together and post  , fingers are crossed , only heard about the contest 4 weeks ago and have had some health problems, First rubber powered plane I've built

Regards Ian   Adelaide/ Australia

60s C d'H report from Melbourne Aus

A note to let those of you patiently waiting in the Northern hemisphere that you are not waiting in vain.

There are four of us here hoping to submit scores.
So far its been an exceptional Winter Free Flight weather wise however we have been frustrated by Cov19 restrictions.
Some scores were recorded in June but at the moment it seems we may not get out to the field again before late August.
My new Baron Hunter should be ready by then.
Look out !

Sean
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: