Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2019, 06:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 151566 times)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »

One month left for those living in the Southern Hemisphere to get your official flights recorded.  

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more!  Wink  (He said, knowingly)

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: September 01, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »

I'll do my best-it all depends on whether I can cover the beast below, trim and record some scores before the end of the month. this is the 'Deuzio' as intimated in post #494 above---except that rather than being finished by the end of July as I'd planned it was only completed yesterday-so I'm running a month behind schedule...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: September 01, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »

Gorgeous coupe. Wish I could build as well as you.

What are the pitch and diameter of the prop?

Can't wait to see pictures of this model covered. 
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: September 01, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »

about 400mm x 450mm (it IS a French design after all.....)....give me a week or so and you'll see it covered. I'd prefer a bit more pitch myself-(around 1.25 P/D rather than the 1.125 it has)-but we are supposed to build as per the original. The only aspect I'm unsure of is the hub-there is no info on the plan and the published photos provide no clue due to the lack of definition. I'd liked to have done a skew hinge for closer folding against the fuselage-but lacking the info whether the original used one, I opted for a simple Z-bar hub assembly.
   I shall cogitate tonight over a suitable colour scheme before attacking it over what is shaping up to be a wet miserable weekend.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

PS As you see it naked above it clocks in at 73.0g.....I'm hoping I can keep it 80g or less covered....
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2016, 04:19:25 AM »

Hi Chris, I built the Duezio last year and as there were no clear details of the prop setup, in accordance with Marks rules, I used the detailed info on the Dwarf Dip plan. So I guess you could find a prop set up you like that was published in the period and use that.
calgoddard
Gold Member

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: September 02, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »

Is that the knob of a TOMY timer I see?

I am referring to the last two pictures in Reply #502.

I guess with the vintage rules (I have not read them) perhaps it is the end of a snuffer tube?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »

Nope-its a knob on the end of the rubber peg. If you've ever tried to remove a small diameter tight fitting rear peg with rubber lubricant on your fingers-then you'll appreciate having a solid knob to grip and turn. All my rubber models (with the exception of Peanuts) are so fitted-obviously the size and obtrusiveness of the knob will vary depending on the class. The OD of the knob is knurled-usually diamond pattern-to improve the grip. The Deuzio will have a conventional tail mounted fuse DT setup-in keeping with the contest rules. The snuffer tube will be attached after covering is completed.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
calgoddard
Gold Member

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: September 02, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »

Neat idea - putting a knurled knob on the end of the rubber peg.

I forgot that the hook-to-peg distance on a coupe is typically about nine inches so clearly I forgot that the motor peg on your model is about where it should be.  Sorry, in the U.S. we are still stuck with inches and ounces, although we use metric and imperial measurements together quite frequently.

I wind my couples outside the fuselage using a half-tube system.  So the motor peg is only put in place once.  I am not sure this is allowed under your postal rules.

I have always wondered how a tail mounted fuse does not alter the CG as it burns, especially when your model has a very long tail moment.  

Where I fly fuse DTs are not legal due to alleged fire danger. So we use viscous timer buttons (very inaccurate), TOMY timers (more accurate but heavy), TEXAS scroll timers (accurate and heavy), and electronic timers (very accurate, not too heavy, but a little pricey at $40-50 U.S.).
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: September 02, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »

calgoddard:
(1)
I've been using the knurled knob idea for about a decade or more-having a lathe it is no problem turning one up-they are all Delrin. Part of it is also driven by the fact that I use C/F tubing extensively (though not exclusively) for rear pegs-and if you have a sticking rear peg that is C/F then gripping it with pliers to extract is a REALLY bad idea-sufficient grip to turn it usually splits/crushes it-hence the alternative approach of a knurled knob....most of mine are interference fits on the tubing, using the lathe tailstock as a ram to press home the tubing (supported in the tailstock chuck) into the fractionally undersized hole in the knob.

(2).....actually there are two motor peg positions in the Deuzio-visible in the photo-and exactly as detailed on the plan. Presumably the designer played around with motor strandage a bit. The two positions work out at 8" and 10" from the nose former respectively-and incidentally a 1/8" SS motor made up to the specified 14 strands comes out at 10".....so I assume the shorter peg location may have been used for 1/4" motors-which a lot of early Coupes used. 14 strands my my standards is a fairly brutal motor for a coupe-and may well reflect the quality of rubber they had back then-which would have been Pirelli only in 1969 [I'm fairly sure Dunlop rubber was off the market by then]-modern rubber on the same strandage may prove too powerful-and possibly too short in the run for the optimum performance. I'm quite prepared to strand down to 12, 11 or even 10 strands-I usually run 12 strands of 1/8" in my other Coupes

(3) ....I've seen the half tube system in use-Paul Squires who I fly with frequently uses it-but I'm well equipped with blast tubes-and in fact use them in the 'cartridge' system pioneered by the Croydon club.....and you need another stooge if you're using the half tube system-more claggage to cart round.

(4) technically you're right-a tail mounted fuse does alter the CG.....but we've been putting them there for ...now lets see....about the last 70+ years or so.....so you'd think if there was a CG issue it might have showed up by now.....and 2 mins worth of DT fuse positively thuds on to my accurate scales at a resounding 0.15g [I just cut and weighed a piece to check!] 

(5) I'm glad you said 'alleged' fire danger-I accept there are certain countries/states (Australia, California) where the wild fire risk is such that fuse is banned-absolutely permanently in Australia (can't speak for CA) but my opinion is the risk is vastly overstated. I have tried setting grass on fire with fuse in controlled experiments-and in a NZ summer the grass gets pretty damn dry, believe me-without success. No one has ever been able to point to a verified example (in NZ) of a fire started by DT fuse-despite all the 'urban modelling myth'-when you grill them its always "well I heard that...'  or 'so and so said that.....'  -you can never track down any actual witnesses. Personally my standard of proof for this allegation requires a fuse carrying  model to been seen to glide in or DT and a fire break out at the exact same spot with in 15 minutes...

(6) I've never had much joy of viscous timers, mixed blessing with Tomys, and am now in the process of adopting electronic ones...there is quite a learning curve with these-and no two types seem the same when it comes to programming!

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
calgoddard
Gold Member

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: September 03, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »

Chris -

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Yeah, you hit it exactly in regard to fuses.  Folks still fly with them here and I have never seen any fires started by a free flight airplane with a fuse. We have plenty of dry grass.

Here is what the sheriff reads to the poor guy that gets caught using a fuse on his F1G, P-30, OTR, or other free flight model airplane in California:

"SEC. 96.1.305.5. ROCKETS, MODEL AIRCRAFT AND SIMILAR DEVICES.

Section 305.5 is added to the California Fire Code to read:

Sec. 305.5 Rockets, model aircraft and similar devices. Rockets, model airplanes,
gliders and balloons powered with an engine, propellant or other feature liable to start or
cause a fire shall not be projected into or across hazardous fire areas without prior
approval of the fire code official."  
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: September 04, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »

Re Reply #509:
[/(3) ....I've seen the half tube system in use-Paul Squires who I fly with frequently uses it-but I'm well equipped with blast tubes-and in fact use them in the 'cartridge' system pioneered by the Croydon club.....and you need another stooge if you're using the half tube system-more claggage to cart round.
quote]

As a current Croydon member, it is nice that Croydon still receives a credit from ffkiwi for the cartridge system developed 40+ years ago. Incidentally, the cartridge system is easily used for out-of-model winding, just make 2 holes at the front of the cartridge tube for a hold pin for the wound motor. Only 1 stooge is needed, as the wound cartridge has to be installed in the model when out of the stooge, to install the rear peg. The model is then placed in the stooge to remove the blast tube and install the prop. Personally, I usually prefer the less fuss of the basic cartridge system, if the fuselage is robust.

Good luck with the Deuzio.

Don
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »

A little more than a week left to get official flight scores recorded for those in the Southern Hemisphere.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »

The window for recording official flights in the Southern Hemisphere closes at midnight for your local time zone.   No scores have have so far been received in the last four months.

Mark

Mark
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:10 AM »

Mark, I got my arm out of the sling on Wednesday and was hoping to get in some short flights at my small field on Friday just to keep up the numbers. However South Australia was hit by the worst storms in fifty years during the week, including a state wide blackout, besides keeping an eye on the almost flooded creek along side our house the weather was totally unflyable.

I'm pretty sure a couple of our Victorian Mates have recorded some good times though.

I'm at lest ready for next year.

Good luck to all those that enter.
RayE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: October 01, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »

Here's a pic of my Joe Bilgri "Mini" which I started building a couple of weeks ago. Still to make prop hub and wing mount. Another couple of weeks should see it finished, in plenty of time for the Northern Hemisphere season.

D/T is also having a go. He's building a George Batiuk design.

Ray
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: October 03, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »

Dave.
Glad to hear you're on the rebound from the shoulder surgery.  Best wishes and thanks for checking in.

Ray,
Nice bones!  Good luck with the covering and other remaining bits.

BTW, does anyone know if Ed Dolby's ORANGE PEEL coupe was published anywhere in the Sixties?

Mark
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »

I finally felt I had to have a go at the Postal, after following this thread throughout. As RayE indicated in #515, I have a Geo. Batiuk coupe on the board, from the VTO sketch in this thread. I liked the multispar wing and aerofoil, not common on coupes, (perhaps will find out why), and, critically, the fact that its rectangular section fuselage fits my fixed width winding jig. It is not as far on as RayE's, but I will post a pic when it is more complete.

Don
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: October 03, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »

I plan to start my Nikolina construction probably this Thursday. Sure want to have it done and maybe flown during the winter here in Texas. Time will tell.
Soc
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: October 10, 2016, 11:11:57 PM »

Southern Hemishpere Entries

As Dave P hinted above, we here in Victoria have made some flights for the 60s C d'H postal comp.
I've just submitted the scores to Mark with a summary of our activities.

Non modelling activities have absorbed most of my energy this winter so I've been silent here on HPA.
But due to the incentive provided by Mark's competition, I have done quite a lot of flying.

Our flying site has its limitations, but its only an hour from the city,
so we can easily go out when the weather forecast indicates it might be worthwhile.
I think we made 6 trips with 60's C d'H activity as the objective and we missed two other good days due to real life obligations.

I made my flights on a couple of nice days in August using the DDIII again,
but Mike kept fiddling with a new Deuzio until the end of September.
Luckily Friday the 23rd was very free flight friendly so he bit the bullet and flew.
The old Deuzio ended in the top of a tree on the second flight,
however the new model was in good enough trim for the remaining flights.
Weather over the weekend was terrible, but Monday was nice again so we went back to finish off.
We found the treed model on the ground so elaborate preparations to get it down, were not tested.

Thanks to Mark for instigating all the fun.

Sean
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: October 13, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »

Thanks for the update Sean.  Any pics?

I'd like to see pics from anyone participating.  Models on the bench or in the field; helps keep the level of enthusiasm up, necessary to keep this event alive.

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: October 13, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »

I'll send some pics of the Deuzio in its finished form-weather permitting it will have its maiden flights this coming sunday...

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
RayE
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »

Further to my reply #515 above, herewith is a pic of my completed Bilgri Mini. Weight including S hook, rear peg and tracker is 65.5 g so it needs 4.5 g of ballast.

All I need now is a nice calm day to do some trimming.

Ray
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: October 23, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »

Message from Gavin Manion, organiser of the Birmingham Coupe meeting (UK):

"At La Grande Coupe de Birmingham on December 4th competitors can use the opportunity to "double-up" with Mark Braunlich's 1960's Coupe postal. If they declare an eligible model to the CD on entry then the top placed such model will receive a prize in addition to any they may gain in the F1g contest."
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:24 AM »

Good to hear the news Bill.  Is the venue mentioned?

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »

Yes Mark, it's a delightful place called North Luffenham
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: