Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 14, 2020, 12:14:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 158465 times)
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2020, 05:19:37 AM »

Well, I added a thumbnail to get the idea.
To see the "real" drawing you have to download it from the Plan Gallery.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: January 08, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »

Thanks for that Urs. It's a pretty model and has been saved. I was also a Draughtsman - around 20yrs manual and almost the same on Acad. Aeromodelling as has been pointed our before appears to appeal to draughtsmen. Smiley

John
TRuss
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: January 13, 2020, 05:23:45 PM »

Thanks Urs! I’m a big fan of Eliseo Scotto’s designs.  It looks great.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: January 26, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »

AAdamisin,

Found this photo in the February 1964 Aeromodeller.  Thought you might like to see this.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal

Mark
AAdamisin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: January 27, 2020, 05:59:46 AM »

AAdamisin,

Found this photo in the February 1964 Aeromodeller.  Thought you might like to see this.

Mark,

Thanks for the motivation shot.  I've been building some indoor stuff to help get my stick builing skills back.  Coupes will be next.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: March 20, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »

ATTENTION !

The 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal will continue through the Covid19 troubles!  Many organized competitions are likely to be cancelled through 2020 but I see no reason to discontinue this postal. 

The window for official flights in the Northern Hemisphere will close 31 March. 

The window for official flights in the Southern Hemisphere will again be 1 June through 30 September.

Hang in there everyone!

Mark
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: March 20, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »

Hi Mark,
We Classical Coupe-ists in the UK are rapidly running out of sites to fly on. It seems that our Ministry of Defence who manage most of our sites are taking the default position of "No you can't". I suppose that you can't blame them, there may well come a time when they're busy with much more important matters.
And the organising body has put the contest calendar on complete hold, again understandably given that free flighter are, almost to a man, "at risk".
So we'll all hang in though I fear it's going to be a funny old spring /summer
Gavin
G GRELL
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: March 25, 2020, 11:47:22 PM »

Hi Mark
Thank you again for hosting the coupe postal. This maybe the only competition that many of us can compete in until summer of late fall so once again thank you. The WMC was able to get together on March 22. We were only able to have 3 show up but we had a great day of flying and some very competitive flying. The three where Bill Swift Mark Sexton and myself Glenn Grell. Mark and I were flying The Batuik coupe and Bill was flying a Dwarf Dip. The day started off with lots of sun but cold at 28 by the time we arrived at the flying field most of the frost was gone so looked to be a great day. However by the time all of the planes were ready to go the fog had moved in so for about 1 or 2 hours we did what modelers do we relived flights and contest of the past. When the fog lifted it was a great day with the temps finely making to the mid 50's I will try and post some pictures in a day or two. Thanks again from the Oregon bunch.
Glenn
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: March 26, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »

Mark,

Let me add to Glenn's "thanks" for hosting this fun contest. It is a hoot to get the kinks out by trying to fly with the blast-tube still in, or my favorite, winding to about 75% and then suddenly realizing you didn't put the blast tube in in the first place. Ah yes, winter. We did stay the appropriate distance away from each other even if we were in the high risk category. The next day the Gov. put in her executive order to cease any unnecessary travel, so we just made it. Go Willamette Modelers!

Bill Swift
Red Buzzard
D/T
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:25 PM »

I was all set up and looking forward to my Postal flights, but the coronavirus control measures have grounded me (and F/F in UK), so I must dip out this time. Congrats to all who make an entry, and I hope to see you all at the next edition.
Regards
Don
RayE
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: March 27, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Don. A great pity. However my enthusiasm is not curtailed and I spent a pleasant few hours going though the whole of this thread looking for ideas for my next build. I look forward to being able to take part next time.

Ray
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: March 27, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »

All us Brits (in fact all of Europe) are in the same boat, as Ray and Don have confirmed. As Joni said "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".
Enough of that.. I want a new (?) Classic Coupe, and why not? So, on the basis of "the later the better" I fancy a Deuzio, December 1969, you can't get much later.
My school mate Ian, built one as it was published. We would have been about 15 years old. Looking at the Aeromodeller drawing I have no idea how he managed. Trivially the "save paper" wing drawing will take a bit of careful sorting if I'm going to end up with the right panel sizes, but the prop...? Does anyone know what the pitch is supposed to be? I have a feeling that there's a g.a. drawing out there somewhere. Of course if there isn't then I'll just do what seems appropriate. Oh, and has anyone built one? They any good?

Gavin

USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: March 27, 2020, 04:36:06 PM »

Hi Gavin,
I have a DEUZIO copy out of the Aeromodeller Annual. I reads pitch 19"

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: March 27, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »

Thanks Urs, I knew I'd seen it, and could only imagine that it was in an Aeromodeller Annual. Which year is it please?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...that's a small prop.

I assume that the prop tip is... actually I've no idea which is the leading edge of that strangely shaped prop. Anyone?
Gavin
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: March 27, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »

I cant tell you from where I had the drawing  Huh Completely unable to remember...… that's not the first time  Sad

I would guess that the prop's leading edge is to the left. Tip is at the, longer, trailing edge. I guess so also looking at the hub with the canted hinge tube, which has to turn clockwise to be in the right position.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Soc
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: March 28, 2020, 03:57:19 AM »

Gavin

The Deuzio drawing is in the 69-70 AeroModeller Annual p41 and Modelle is credited as the source.

John O'Donnell writes in his report in May '68 AM that the prop is 400 diam x 480 pitch in agreement with the inch dimensions on the drawing.

Now to the mystery of the blade shape. Is it a cutlass, a cleaver, a machette .....?
There are a number of photos in AMs of the period that provide some evidence that the tip is shaped, but not as abruptly as the drawing suggests. It seems that the TE is the longer edge and has a marked corner at the tip while LE is rounded off to form a rough quadrant.

The first pic is from May '68 AM. I've fiddled with the contrast a bit to make the outlines clearer.

the second pic is from the article with the F/S plan in Dec '69 AM. I don't have that page so I can't do a better scan.
The article also reprints the May '68 pic.

Then there are three enlarged close ups of the prop blades.
I think the sharp corner on the right hand blade is petty clear.
The more rounded shape of the other corner of the right hand blade is not very distinct,
but the shape of the left blades LE can be seen silhouetted against Menget's jacket.
The more I look at these, the more I think that he might have modified an initially squarer tip shape.  

A final mystery. Both the May '68 photo and its reprint in Dec '69 have a pale blotch above the tail plane tip and a smaller one near the horizon,
but the version of the same photo on OutterZone with the Deuzio plan does have this mark,
so there must be another source.

I hope this goes a little way to solving the mystery.

Down here in OZ we are hoping we will be able to fly come June.
No problem with the field but there might be restrictions on movement soon.

Sean
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: March 28, 2020, 05:19:06 PM »

Sean, thanks for the thoughtful and comprehensive post. I think that you're right about the sharper "corner" on the trailing side of the tip. I've done just that on a drawn full-size prop blade and you end up with something much more believable and just as you see on the blade seen against the shiny top surface of the fuselage in the Outerzone photo. I'm convinced that the blade in the A/M annual plan is missdrawn (and simply copied onto the full-size plan). If I build it I'll "correct" the blade to fit the photo. Incidentally the front fuselage is sheeted over on the full-size plan which looks correct compared to the photos and not open as the A/M annual plan. Of course we make the assumption always with these discussions that, in this case, Menget had but ONE model, no variants, no spare prop blades etc. Clearly not the case in the reality of competitive flying.  A fantasy we happily accept whenever we build a vintage or classic model from a plan.
The white blobs are odd, why did the Outerzone photo have them Photoshoped out? Somebody took a bit of trouble.

So, has anyone built one since my mate Ian did in 1969? and was it any good? It looks like it should fly well, it's certainly a goodly size for the day. Probably try it initially on 10 strands of 1/8th with that small prop, bet it ends up on 22 of 1/16th just to awkward!
Gavin
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: March 28, 2020, 06:47:07 PM »

I built one about 5 years back-and yes they fly extremely well. My prop is exactly as per the Aeromodeller plan-so the blades can best be described as 'machette blade shaped' with a sharp tip TE junction and a well rounded LE-tip junction. I'll post pics when I dig some out...

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: March 29, 2020, 01:59:53 AM »

As promised I managed to find a few pics...     Apropos to the full size plan in Dec 1969 Aeromodeller-I believe this was drawn up from information provided by John O'Donnell-who was present at, competed in (he placed 7th), and reported the '69 Coupe International (full report in the May '69 issue)-and would almost certainly have taken extensive notes-and possibly measured-the winning model...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: March 29, 2020, 03:53:28 AM »

Was this a 100g model?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: March 29, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »

Was this a 100g model?

Mine certainly is..:-(    there's a lot of wood in it...

CJM
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:46 AM »

Yeah mine is too...……  I built it for the Postal in 2015 and it flew great. I'm not much of a duration builder and I think I used 10 strands of 1/8th
USch
Platinum Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: March 29, 2020, 06:54:55 AM »

Strange thing about shapes and how we see them in various pictures.

Looking at the 3th pictures in Chris reply #718 with the blade on the Winchester bottle  Huh (know only a gun named Winchester)  the shape is similar to the published one. On the next photo with the finished model (nice color-mix, btw), the shape look's much more rounded of. Much similar to a "normal" blade.
Or maybe Chris had taken out his sanding block in the meantime and given a heavy pass-over to the blades?

Question's one follows because he is locked-down by a virus, to much free-time  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
gman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: March 29, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

Was this a 100g model?
Hi Bill, there is indeed a lot of wood but it would have been to the 70g airframe rules. By my memory 100g coupes (as in 90g airframe) ran from 1971-76 or thereabouts.
Thanks to those who've posted pictures and comments, I'm now suitably inspired though I can guarantee that mine will be positively drab in comparison.

Gavin
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: March 29, 2020, 11:53:19 AM »

Gavin mon ami, my little book (FFQ Coupe Survey) says that the 100g weight ran from 1971 to 1980 so I'll stick with that!
Now, onto something much more important! The Sargentini coupe drawn by Georges Matherat which you built 2-3 years ago hasn't appeared (or doesn't appear to) in the results of this competition, or indeed any of the BMFA/SAM 1066 results. You have got to post a photo of it because I can't find the one you sent me ( pretty please!!!). I still have the ribs etc in my loft/workshop which I hope (pray) will get completed when I get my right arm working!

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: