Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 22, 2021, 09:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 164032 times)
AAdamisin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »

Got moving on the French Coupe build this week.  I built the wing tips, stab and rudder.  I chose to build the wing tips in (1) piece and then will split them after carving and sanding is complete. The stab and rudder were built after the wing tips.

So far I feel the weights are were they need to be.  The surfaces feel pretty stiff.  I am happy with the construction method so far. 

Next to the carving and joining.  Not looking forward to that.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2021, 12:56:55 AM »

So, the carving and sanding.   Ugh...

I started with the stab.  It went really smoothly.  I used masking tape to protect the ribs and razor plane to rough it in.  Then used 150grit to level out and 320 to finish sand.  I was surprised of the weight I took from the stab.  Around a 1g savings.

I then went to the wing tips and wing center.  This took significantly more time.  The under camber wing provided lots of fun.  I carved the bottom of the LE 1st, then the top, then trailing edge.  I had to re-glue a few ribs due to my clumsy handling, but for the most part it went smoothly.

I then split the wing tips and sanded them flush.  The tips get 4.5" of dihedral or 30deg.  I used the magnetic board to hold the center flat and 1-2-3 blocks to jig the tips up.  I used Sigment glue to attach the wing tips to the center.  I saved 3 grams on the wing and tips due to carving and sanding.

With the addition of wing tips, all the surfaces are ready for a couple coats of Nitrate dope, sanding, and then covering.  On to the fuselage this weekend.  Weight seems to be good.  I am hoping not too light, but the fuse and nose block with folding prop will be pretty heavy.  We will see

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY       
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: January 09, 2021, 01:27:24 AM »

So why build (1) coupe when (2) is more fun.

This is the Lyle Elyea coupe.  I drew this up the same time I did the French coupe and made the 3D templates.  This build is very straight forward.  This coupe has a unique geodetic stab and rudder, and a fuse that transitions from a sheet box to a triangular stick structure behind the rubber peg.

Have the wing center section built.  Wingtips, stab, and rudder are next.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY   
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: January 10, 2021, 10:59:55 PM »

Got more work done on the Elyea's Coupe tonight.  Tonight was time to build the wingtips, stab, and rudder.  The stab was built using slotted ribs cut using my 3D printed rib templates.  Fit was very good.  When glued, this stab is incredibly strong.  I need to allow to dry overnight, but will weigh tomorrow.

The wing tips were very straight forward.  The rudder needed to have the leading edge wet formed.  I used a 3D printed form for this.  I wet (3) piece of 0.040" x 0.125" balsa and used a glue stick to glue them while the were wet.  I taped them to the form and set on a heat vent to dry. The geodetic rudder ribs were manually cut to fit and match the rib pattern.

All parts are held down after regluing.  Carving will commence tomorrow.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 188

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: January 10, 2021, 11:43:27 PM »

Typically neat work Archie.

I haven't all that much experience with geodetic and or diagonal ribs but have trammel sanded the ribs to shape from blanks glued in place with the end ribs used as templates(protected with a layer of masking tape) also on a rectangular wing plan form. It worked well and was fast.

John.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: January 11, 2021, 07:44:23 AM »

Typically neat work Archie.

I haven't all that much experience with geodetic and or diagonal ribs but have trammel sanded the ribs to shape from blanks glued in place with the end ribs used as templates(protected with a layer of masking tape) also on a rectangular wing plan form. It worked well and was fast.

John.

Thanks for the kind words.  I have done the method you describe as well.  The rudder is built this way so some calculated sanding and done.  Rudder weighs 0.67g.  Amazing how strong.  Stab is 3 grams before carving.  All parts on scale sitting at 16.5g.  This is complete wing, stab and rudder.  Carving/sanding will take some out.  I expect both models to be ready for fuses today.

Looking forward to that triangular fuse build.  Just finished a Comet Jupiter so I have been trained.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2021, 06:09:28 PM »

Using gluestick on the rudder laminations is interesting.

John
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: January 16, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

Using gluestick on the rudder laminations is interesting.

John

It works amazingly well.  When dry, I use a trim monocote iron to go over it, but have not had any pull loose yet.  I do this same technique on my NoCal models.  They are still in good shape after a year of flying.

With the tissue and dope over this, it will be quite strong.   

Archie Adamisin
psullivan34
Nickel Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: January 17, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »

Allen and I each built a Nikolina coupe for the postal event.  Models are complete and test glides in San Antonio looked good this weekend. 
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »

Sure was glad to see your complete Nikolina. That was built very quickly. Just took a month for you and maybe two months for me. The glides were just amazing. Looking for a much bigger  field is a wise solution.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: January 18, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

Allen and I each built a Nikolina coupe for the postal event.  Models are complete and test glides in San Antonio looked good this weekend. 

Beautiful builds.  Can't wait to hear about the flight reports!!

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: January 21, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »

French Coupe build coming along.  Elyea's coupe right behind.  Won't be long now.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: January 21, 2021, 11:36:44 PM »

Is that black tissue on the inside of the balsa? Very neat work !

John
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: Today at 06:48:48 AM »

Is that black tissue on the inside of the balsa? Very neat work !

John

John,

Keen eye my friend.  That is black Hobby Lobby craft tissue on the inside of the fuse.   I had a ton of it left over from a building project I did with the Cub Scouts a few years back.  It seems I'm running on the light side of budget so I decided to brace up the fuse a bit.  It made a difference.  Fuses are nice and stiff.  Putting tissue on the inside of the pylon was overkill.  Won't do it again, but I built it at the same time so same thought. 

I put tissue on with a glue stick, ironed it with monocote iron, then applied 3 coats of nitrate dope to seal it. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Kevin M
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: Today at 09:39:51 AM »

Very nice builds. I am extremely envious of your printed jigging pieces.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: Today at 09:41:48 AM »

Fun to watch this project coming together.

Regarding reply #855, I should think determining whether a part is amazingly strong would be hazardous for the part. OTOH, determining just how stiff it is ought to be fairly safe.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: Today at 04:46:28 PM »

Very nice builds. I am extremely envious of your printed jigging pieces.

Thanks for the kind words.  I had nothing to start with to build these, so I made stuff that I thought I could use.  I am a big fan of the magnetic building board.  It is an learning curve, but not steep. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: Today at 04:49:19 PM »

Fun to watch this project coming together.

Regarding reply #855, I should think determining whether a part is amazingly strong would be hazardous for the part. OTOH, determining just how stiff it is ought to be fairly safe.

Nice point.  There is a fine line in the ole twist test.  Learned that a long time ago.  I was just surprised how stiff the structure was for only a weighing a couple grams.

I was thinking the same thing when I pulled the fuses off the board and said "Will this take the torque of a 12 strand motor?"  Yikes....

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: