Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 01:28:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 172957 times)
RalphS
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: October 08, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »

Must admit , the last photo I saw of it, and it might have been when J oD was advertising the models was that it looked pretty rough. It might have been consigned to the dust.... er history 

It always looked rough to me when John used to bring it out once a year for the big winter coupe contest.  I never heard him call it Chicken Coupe - it was always Frank Mont's coupe.  As to throwing it out, you should have seen his building room/shed in the back garden.  John never threw anything out!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: October 11, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS to all of the flyers. Sure was glad to see these results. Thank you Mark for letting us all try our hand at this fun.   Roll on another year !!!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 85

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: October 21, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »

Could Glenn Grell, Vin Morgan and Bruce Hannah please send me their current mailing addresses via PM?  I am working on the awards for 2020-2021 and hope to have them in the post by mid November. 

Thank you,

Mark
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: November 03, 2021, 01:12:19 AM »

A few more 60's Coupes.

These come from the Swedish magazine Modellflyjgnytt which can be downloaded from

http://www.modellflygnytt.se/gamla.htm

and also from "RC bookcase".

There are 6 issues each year and the novel Czech design on pink paper, is in issue 64/4.

I've posted two versions of the drawing since I can't modify the hi-res end-on one without it exceeding the 400k size limit.

However if it tempts, you can download the image file and rotate it as you please.

Issue 68/4 has a survey article with some designs posted here previously and some new ones.

I hope this inspires someone to have a go at a 60's Coupe and find out how well they fly with current rubber and winding methods.

SOC
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 01:25:20 AM by Soc » Logged
Ramjet64
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: November 03, 2021, 02:39:03 AM »

The Loudalek is a wonderful bird I'd like to build next year.

I'm re-drafting her at 1:! scale.

If anyone can assist with the wording on the plan (like the text after "coupe d'hiver", I'll correct my work and post it in the plans section.

Ramjet64
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: November 03, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »

A little progress.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: November 10, 2021, 10:07:59 AM »

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted.  My wife is currently in hospital fighting Covid and things are more than hectic for me.  Anyway, carry on for 2021-2022.  No changes in rules.

Please read:

1960s  Winter Cup Postal Rules:

•   Dates of the Seventh competition:  In keeping with the spirit of a winter free flight event, those living in the Northern Hemisphere will fly in Dec, 2021 through March, 2022.  Those living in the Southern Hemisphere will fly June-Sept, 2022. Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans.

•   Models must be built from plans or 3-views published between January, 1960 and December, 1969 (inclusive).    Earlier models that were published in the 1960s may be flown.  Models designed in the 1960s that were not published until later may not be flown in this competition.

•   In the event that models are built to small 3-views lacking detail or clarity, the competitor is allowed to improvise for the missing details but the model should be completed with 1960s’ technology and materials.  Models must not be  “modernized” with materials that were not in common use in that decade.  For example, covering should be tissue paper, Silkspan or Modelspan.

•   Each competitor is responsible for being able to prove, if challenged, that the model in question was published in the 1960s time frame.  It is suggested that such
documentation be in hand before any given model is constructed for this competition.

•   Models must not include VIT, folding wings, or other functions and materials common in modern F1G practice. (No carbon fiber, Kevlar, Mylar)

•   The D/T function should, if possible, be provided with whatever was used on the original for the timing function.  A mechanical timer may only be used if there is shown to exist, documentation that such a timer is appropriate to the  airframe in question during the 1960s or if a burning fuse type is illegal in your locale.  Viscous timers are also permitted.

•   Models originally designed for 90gram airframes with 10gram motors may be lightened for this competition.

•   Each competitor may fly up to (3) three models but may enter only once.

•   Models must weigh in excess of 70.0 grams less motor.

•   Maximum weight of the motor lubricated is 10.0 grams.

•   Each competitor is on their honor to fly a model to the weight requirements.  The timesheet shall include an initialed statement that the weight of the airframe and the   motor(s) used in the official flights meet the weight requirements.

•   Models shall be hand launched.   Jumping is allowed.

•   Each competitor is entitled to (5) five official flights with a maximum of 120 seconds for each official flight.

•   Each competitor shall declare to his/her timekeeper that an official flight is being attempted.

•   The timekeeper shall record the duration of the first attempt of the official flight unless the flight is unsuccessful.

•   An unsuccessful attempt shall be any flight of less than 20 seconds.

•   A second unsuccessful attempt at the official flight shall be recorded as a zero time flight.

•   The timekeeper should be positioned near the point of launching and may not follow the model.

•   If (5) five maxes are recorded by a competitor, additional official flight(s) shall be flown with maximum flight duration increasing in 30 second increments, 150, 180, 210, 240 seconds, etc.

•   The competitor and timekeeper shall sign their time-sheet and e-mail a scanned image of same to the Contest Director, Mark Braunlich or another delegated to fill the CD role in the event that would be necessary.  Do NOT post your official times in this thread or elsewhere on HPA.

•   The three top placing competitors will be awarded modest plaques provided by myself.  All entrants are encouraged to engage in friendly competition, make new  friend and above all: have fun.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: November 10, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »

Ramjet64,
Good job with your redraw of the Loudalek.  Thanks for posting.  Let us see some build photos as you get into the construction.

Mark
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 102

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: November 10, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »

Mark, wishing you and your wife all the best, lets all hope for a speedy recovery.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: November 11, 2021, 07:40:00 PM »

All the best for your wife and yourself Mark.

John
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: November 12, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »

I also wish you the best and tell her Robin and I are thinking about her...hope to see you next year here and at Muncie...
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2021, 02:02:54 AM »

I didn't see the Looudalek plan in Modellflygnytt (I think you have an extra j in there), or, at least, not the 64/4 issue. However, there is a little bit on the Loudalek in Modellfygbladet 1961-2.  https://modellflygnytt.se/gamla/1961/modellflygbladet_1961-2.pdf
Somewhere, I found more info on the Loudalek, but I can't recall where. Probably not from the '60s, because it refers to the bit in Modellfygbladet.
A few more 60's Coupes.

These come from the Swedish magazine Modellflyjgnytt which can be downloaded from

http://www.modellflygnytt.se/gamla.htm

and also from "RC bookcase".

There are 6 issues each year and the novel Czech design on pink paper, is in issue 64/4.

I've posted two versions of the drawing since I can't modify the hi-res end-on one without it exceeding the 400k size limit.

However if it tempts, you can download the image file and rotate it as you please.

Issue 68/4 has a survey article with some designs posted here previously and some new ones.

I hope this inspires someone to have a go at a 60's Coupe and find out how well they fly with current rubber and winding methods.

SOC
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2021, 02:13:07 AM »

BTW, here's some more on Coffee, from that review article. It also appeared in the 1967-10 Modelar.
Soc
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

You are right Lincoln. Thank you for checking.
The correct issue of Modellflygnytt for Loudalek is 62-4.
This is a particularly good issue with detailed drawings of a number of classic designs of that era.
All on pink paper!
The A1 "Mini Egal" and the F1Cs "Pulteri" and "Number 18" amongst others.

I should also thank you for pointing the way, over recent years, to quite a few European archives of magazines and drawings.

There was an Argentine archive of model aircraft drawings available for a while.
Do you know what happened to it ?
There were a number of 60s Coupes in that collection.

Bye the way, Modellflygnytt seems to have started including articles on older models well before the 'Old timer' thing got under way.
Perhaps you saw more on Loudalek in one of those.

Sean

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:50:06 PM by Soc » Logged
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: November 18, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »

Was it this one?:
https://volarlibrementerubber.blogspot.com/
I don't know if it's actually Argentine. I feel like there was another one, but I can't find the URL. I have too many bookmarks.
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: November 20, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »

A little progress.

Beautiful work.  I can't wait to see this one built.  It is on my radar as a possible future build. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Soc
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: November 20, 2021, 09:58:19 PM »

Bravo Lincoln!
Your plan-seeking googlefu is exceptional.
I was going to post all I could remember about the vanished FAA site, but thought I had could try one more time to find the link.
The first port of call was naturally https://volarlibrementerubber.blogspot.com/ where there are many many links scattered about.
And bingo, well down on the right edge of the page I had bookmarked one finds
https://sites.google.com/site/planotecafaa/home
the collection of lost drawings.
Its a bit tricky to navigate, possibly easier if you read Spanish, but the drawings I remember are all seem to be there.
Cheers
Sean
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: November 29, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »

Good evening.  For those of you interested in laser short kits, Bernard from Hummingbird Products has released short kits of the French coupe and the Elyea Coupe.  Bernard makes a high quality kit.  This would be a quick way to get a model in the air for those of us that wait until the postal starts to build. 

Hope to see some other builds of these 2 great flying models.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: November 29, 2021, 09:03:58 PM »

Bernard’s new Coupe d’Hiver model kits:

https://hummingbirdmodelproducts.com/coupe-devier

Mark
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »

Bernard’s new Coupe d’Hiver model kits:

https://hummingbirdmodelproducts.com/coupe-devier

Thanks Mark.  I hit post before I hit paste.  Lol

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: November 30, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »

Just posting a notice that the 2021-2022 version of the 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal Competition window will open for competitors in the Northern Hemisphere tomorrow, 1 Dec, 2021 and run through 31 March, 2022.

This 7th competition will be dedicated to my dear wife, Pamela, who passed away from the Delta Variant of Covid on 19 November after 10 days in hospital.  She was a strong supporter of my modeling endeavors including this competition.  Please DO NOT post your condolences here.  It's too much sadness and gloom whereas Pam would have wanted none of that.  Lets try to keep the postings upbeat, positive and all about the models and the competition.  Thank you.

Mark
kkphantom
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: December 01, 2021, 11:35:12 AM »

I like your shirt!

Gary
AAdamisin
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: December 02, 2021, 06:37:38 AM »

I'm ready!!  Come on weather.  I'd like to fly on a day not better suited for kites!!! 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
G GRELL
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: December 06, 2021, 09:21:29 PM »

Hi Mark
I received my trophy in the mail a few days ago and would like to thank you very much. They are very nice looking as a matter of fact the ones that I have received from you over the years are all displayed in our dining room and are the only modeling trophies in the house thanks again. Also, I am building a new coupe for this year's contest it is called Voyager and I found it in the April 1967 issue of the NFFS Free Flight magazine and I already had the plans I think they were my fathers from years ago when I figure out how to post pictures on Hip Pockets, I will put a picture of the plane on here.
Glenn
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: