Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:21:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help-Trying to Make My Embryo Turn!  (Read 959 times)
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

Hi All,

I built the "Easy Built" Freshman Embryo, and I fly it indoors. It flies very nicely--straight into a wall. I've added clay weight to the left wing tip to try to make it turn left, and it does to some extent, but the weight cuts down my endurance, and sometimes doesn't even help to make a turn. What can I do to make this plane turn? Please help. (BTW--I have a removable wing.)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »

Thrustline offsets and rudder trim are the most effective adjustments. Some folks have success with weighting the wingtips, but I've never had any success with it. Do be prepared to put a trim tab on the wingtip on the inside of your desired turn.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »

I'm sure you've checked this, but make sure you don't have any wing warpage, either in the flat center section or the outboard/angled tips.  How does the model do in glide tests, without any thrust/power?
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

Duhhh. I hadn't thought about the thrust line adjustment. I'll try that.

The wing is perfectly flat, and unpowered  test glides are perfectly straight ahead...just like powered flight.

I've added weight to the wing tip but only with mixed results.

I'm confused about the trim tab on the inside wing. If I want left turns, the inside wing would be the left wing. Wouldn't a trim tab on that wing keep that wing up, rather than down?
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:16 PM »

I'm confused about the trim tab on the inside wing. If I want left turns, the inside wing would be the left wing. Wouldn't a trim tab on that wing keep that wing up, rather than down?

I'd turn to the right, personally, but setting that aside, if you have, say right thrust and right rudder, you'll want some left aileron trim to keep the model from spiraling in. Any bias in any direction requires some offsetting bias to keep the aircraft from diverging from stabilized flight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: