Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 06:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First build - Guillows DHC-1 Chipmunk  (Read 1351 times)
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and thought i'd share my first build!

I've always had an interest in aviation and models so I thoght i'd have a go at building a flying model, I chose the Guillows Chipmunk kit purely because it was cheap, marketed as an 'easy build' and I have always liked the lines of the chippy!

When I first bought the kit I was quite disapointed with the wood, the pre-cut parts where of the pre-crushed variety, but the rest looked okay.

I replaced all of the sheet wood with 1/32 from a Local model shop as most of the formers disintergrated when I removed them from the sheet, I also replaced the sheet wood fuselage sides with 1/32.

Its covered with silver and red esaki tissue (cant get over the srength of this stuff!!), after a couple of mishaps I finally got the hang of covering, I used dope to fix to the frame work and water and Banana oil to shrink.

Im very pleased with how its its turned out ! Is there anybody else on here who's built the same kit? would be graet to see your pics !

Cheers

Harry
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
First build - Guillows DHC-1 Chipmunk
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:14:52 AM by Cadillacofthesky » Logged
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »

Looks very nice Harry, hard to believe that it's your first build. Welcome to the forum!

--Ates
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »

Looks very nice Harry, hard to believe that it's your first build. Welcome to the forum!

--Ates

Thanks Ates! Unfortunately I have to wait untill the end of the month for a test flight, unless we get a calm day between then and now.

- Harry
Ex Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »

That is a lovely job, the Guillows kits are known for their die crushed and heavy wood, but many more are coming on line as laser cut, and they are much better...

Dependant on where you are in the country you might be able to fly your model indoors....

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

but many more are coming on line as laser cut, and they are much better...

Andrew

Andrew, I can concur there. I am currently putting together a Guillows Pilatus Porter and the laser cut sheet wood is very good indeed. The strip less-so. There is a lot of wood though!
Bill
Ex Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »

I have the DH beaver to build, like the pilatus, lots of wood but nicely done.

I was thinking of doing for the outdoor scale comp (when I get round to getting there!)

Andrew
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:53:35 PM »

Wow great looking model!

I don't have a finished model of the Guillow's Chipmunk. I do have the plans and decals though. Here we can order, from Guillow's, just the plans and decals. We have the option of scratch building/using our own wood. Using my own wood i.e. Contest Balsa, I think is the best way to go; especially for flying. Also I don't need most of the stuff that comes with the kit. i.e. propeller, tissue and the box.

I like the 900 Series kits from Guillow's. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) built with "Good" wood these kits fly very nicely. 

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

Harry,
Your 'first build' came out very nice. Looks like you've done your homework and it shows.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »

That is a lovely job, the Guillows kits are known for their die crushed and heavy wood, but many more are coming on line as laser cut, and they are much better...

Dependant on where you are in the country you might be able to fly your model indoors....

Andrew

Thanks Andrew I've hear that the guillows aren't the best but  I'm a sucker for the box art !!

The chipmunk is weighing in at 26 grams with the standard motor, which means nothing to me as I haven't got anything to compare it to, how does that stack up for a 17'' ?

Bill,  I'm based in Banbury so will be going to the OFMAC indoor meet on 23rd of this month fingers crossed it'll fly !

Have got my self a peck  polymer mustang for the next build , the quality is in stark contrast to guillows!

Thinking of doing it up in the 'old crow' colours, from my calculations peanuts are roughly 1/35 scale so should be able to get some nice decals!  

Ex Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »

Thanks Andrew I've hear that the guillows aren't the best but  I'm a sucker for the box art !!

Me too!  There is a fair degree of snobbishness about them but they can fly quite well and are cheap little kits....

That isn't a bad weight, but if the standard motor is the one that came with the kit then don't use it..... Get some decent stuff at your meeting

I think that you are having us on, really your first build?!  You sound too experienced!

Andrew
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 181

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »

Thats a very good first effort.
I haven't built any Guillows kits but have an Australian Pacific Balsa Mustang of 610mm WS on the board.
Its probably fairly similar to the laser cut Guillows kits.
It looks like it could be made into a good flying model with better balsa slection in some areas, better rubber and prop.
John
peekaboo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 03:05:55 AM »

Smiley Great Build  Grin and good color combo  Cool
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »

Wow great looking model!

I don't have a finished model of the Guillow's Chipmunk. I do have the plans and decals though. Here we can order, from Guillow's, just the plans and decals. We have the option of scratch building/using our own wood. Using my own wood i.e. Contest Balsa, I think is the best way to go; especially for flying. Also I don't need most of the stuff that comes with the kit. i.e. propeller, tissue and the box.

I like the 900 Series kits from Guillow's. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) built with "Good" wood these kits fly very nicely. 

Thanks widdog, i'll look into that might be able to get a similar service in the UK, I was advised to put a bigger propeller on mine so I found one online thats about an inch longer, it also feels lighter!

Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »

Harry,
Your 'first build' came out very nice. Looks like you've done your homework and it shows.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I half built a few west wings kits as a kid but always fudged the covering!! found some info on something called the Doug Mchard method and it worked for me !
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »

Thats a very good first effort.
I haven't built any Guillows kits but have an Australian Pacific Balsa Mustang of 610mm WS on the board.
Its probably fairly similar to the laser cut Guillows kits.
It looks like it could be made into a good flying model with better balsa slection in some areas, better rubber and prop.
John

Thanks OZPAF! sounds nice do you have a thread on the mustang ? im doinga peck one next
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »

Smiley Great Build  Grin and good color combo  Cool

Thanks Peekaboo ! , Was going to do it all silver but the silver tissue I bought isnt very sliver ! more of a grey.

Thought the red would mix it up a bit.
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

Me too!  There is a fair degree of snobbishness about them but they can fly quite well and are cheap little kits....

That isn't a bad weight, but if the standard motor is the one that came with the kit then don't use it..... Get some decent stuff at your meeting

I think that you are having us on, really your first build?!  You sound too experienced!

Andrew

I'll take that as a huge compliment ! This is my first completed build, i've part made a few west wings kits as a kid and always lost interest after bad experiences with covering.

I also did a National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering with the ATC - maybe this helped, but thank you Andrew Grin 
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »

Bill,  I'm based in Banbury so will be going to the OFMAC indoor meet on 23rd of this month fingers crossed it'll fly !
Hi Andrew. PieCost and myself are regulars at the OFMAC event. I'll keep an eye open for the chippy, but Dave on the door should be able to point me out.

Weight looks OK for the chippy, though the hall will feel a bit claustrophobic.

Cheers
Ian
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 181

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »

Thanks OZPAF! sounds nice do you have a thread on the mustang ? im doinga peck one next

Well no. It was started some time back and languishes half finished. It was for a young cousin and is well behind schedule.

John
Cadillacofthesky
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »

Bill,  I'm based in Banbury so will be going to the OFMAC indoor meet on 23rd of this month fingers crossed it'll fly !
Hi Andrew. PieCost and myself are regulars at the OFMAC event. I'll keep an eye open for the chippy, but Dave on the door should be able to point me out.

Weight looks OK for the chippy, though the hall will feel a bit claustrophobic.

Cheers
Ian

ah cool see you there !
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Hi, all. I built a series of Guillows planes (500 series WWll, for my little sons) Die crushed was the rule of the day, but I suffered thru.
Now, this Chip is a scale wonder! Just look at the fit of the canopy, and finish of all the flying surfaces.

I'm starting on a plans-built Guillows Monocoupe, from a plan off eBay. Funny...it's marked 20" span, but measures 19"!
I can see no 'distortion', but that's not to say there is none.

Cheers from the 'colonies'...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: