Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2021, 09:43:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EDF help needed  (Read 695 times)
sethv51
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »

Im looking for input on a good edf to buy, i see lots on ebay and in mags. just trying to find the best kind to get. im looking at designing my own airplane plan for this project. might be designing a swing wing f-14 if i can get all the bugs worked out.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »

Really!
Could you make any recommendation with the information you posted?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:23:58 AM »

I am no expert on EDF, but a guy keeps showing up at the field with a Park Zone Mig-15, and it flies quite well. So if you had a really small project in mind, the power system and the electronics from this plane might be just the thing.

Murphy's Law says that you're thinking 6 foot wingspan in full sweep position!
sethv51
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »

sorry i didnt give more details. looking at a wingspan around 4 feet. and for the edf they have tons of sizes and blade configurations, so what is a good number of blades to go with? im thinking a pair of 68mm edf if it will power it right. im just getting back into flying after a 12+ year break and alot has changed since then. so any help is greatly appreciated
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »

Most would agree that WeMoTec  mini is the best.
If you have a motor that can pull the 9 bladed fan then it is preferred as it make a less objectionable noise.
http://shop.wemotec.com/index.php?a=221&lang=eng
The classic 5 bladed fan is a well proven design.
http://shop.wemotec.com/index.php?k=23&lang=eng

Note that the Wemotec is rated to 60K rpm. Most copycats are limited to 40K to 50K rpm. So what does the extra 10K in RPM get you. Well, the power absorption goes up by the cube of the RPM. So a little more RPM means that it is putting out a lot more power, all other variables held constant.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

If you're really planning on twin 68 class fans, you can't go wong with the WeMoTec units (69mm).  If you can afford them, the Schuebeler fans cannot be beaten - period - and are the quietest available.

Both companies offer their fans with motors or bare, but DO go with the complete package as they are carefully matched and perfectly balanced before they go in the box.  The 9-blade WeMo Mini EVO with the HET motor runs about 120 Euros.  WeMo's are the #1 choice for a high percentage of EDF flyers in Europe for their price/performance.

You can get decent performance out of the less expensive fan packages, but the time/work involved to balance them and hopefully have a good motor and an impeller that runs true is not really worth the trouble (unless you REALLY love to tinker).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
sethv51
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »

thanks for all the good advice, now its time for me to sit down and start drawing
 Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: