Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 04:30:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC ME109  (Read 1138 times)
Ex Member

« on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »

This is my latest effort for the Vintage Model Company.  This is the first prototype from the laser cut parts

It is 460mm (18") span, what you see in the pictures weighs a smidge less than 17g so I expect the flying weight to be in the order of 30g.  The usual compromises have been made with a enlarged fin/rudder and tail plane, with a simple to construct flat bottomed wing - which will have a paper fillet to ease it into the fuselage.  I don't suppose that many of you guys would have much trouble changing this simple shape to a Clark Y or similar to improve the scale appearance

The keel piece through the cockpit is removed after covering and there will be a moulded canopy and spinner.  I have chosen a very forward peg position, I have found that this enhances performance significantly.

Choosing the Emil version with the tail plane struts allows for the simple mounting as seen but the struts add significant stiffness/robustness to the structure.

Cheers

Andrew

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
VMC ME109
VMC ME109
VMC ME109
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »

Very nice looking Emil, Andrew.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

I agree-it looks great! I do like an Me109.
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:22:12 AM »

I love what you are doing with these designs Andrew - KK flying scale for the modern generation, using laser cutting to make them quicker and easier to build.

I think we are going to see a quite a few of these in kit scale events in the coming years.  Are any of them on sale yet?

Mike S
Ex Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »

Hi Mike, Pete and Monique -thanks that means a lot to me coming from you guys Grin

They are not on general sale as yet.  We have only sold one so far -the Cessna 140, to Joe Rabianco from the Peterborough club.  I wanted to give him the kit for his superb effort last year, but he had to buy it to fit in the Kit scale rules just in case he wanted to enter it!

The are four complete including the Cessna but we want to try and build up a number before they go live, Hadi wants the "legends" as many will be bought as gifts, so a Spitfire and SE5 are the last two still to be done before they go into full production, and I have the Jodel D18 (my choice as well as the Cessna) midway through.  So at my present rate of progress it will be Autumn I would think.  At that point we will have 8 different models of increasing complexity, 6 scale and 2 non scale fun flyers, the rubber powered one of those fits for P20 (I didn't design it with that in mind it just fits within the rules).

Cheers

Andrew

steveneill
FAC Squadron Ventura Model Aviators
Silver Member

Kudos: 45

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 02:25:21 PM »

Just ordered one today. I was impressed with your website and attention to details. Your responses to customers in the reviews and the wonderful selection of kits. The BF-109 has always bee a favorite of mine. Thanks for making such and nice and complete kit available.

Ex Member

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »

Hi Steven,

I wish I could take the credit for the website and the customer review responses but I can’t!  I am the VMC in house small rubber model kit designer (and enthusiast of the same) so I can accept credit for that, but the serial production of the kits and the super website are down to two chaps, Hadi and Tim, supported by a small but dedicated team.

I hope you enjoy your kit, it flies pretty well - a couple of vids of it flying to whet your appetite!

https://youtu.be/pNAcBFwSOXw

https://youtu.be/HF8Zfhd-p6A

Andrew
steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:06 AM »

Andrew thank you for your reply and the info about VMC. I greatly appreciate it.

And thank you for the videos!

All the best,

Steve

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

Remains the issue with Laser burnt balsa edges.  They show thru most coverings/paintworks.
Is there an easy way to remove the charring before assembly.
Other than using a router rather than a Laser to cut the bits?
steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »

The paint job I'm going to do will entirely cover it over.

Ex Member

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »

Hi Fred,

Literally a tickle with some fine paper sees it gone, I spent no more time sanding the parts than if I cut them out by hand or if they were die crushed.

The laser cutting makes the edges a little brown, if they are truly burnt or charred, then the laser setting is wrong, or it has hit a sap pocket (usually followed by a fire!)  “Un-tickled” it comes through a light tissue but I have never really noticed it through darker coloured tissue, and never through a painted finish.

Routing is fine, but you can wave goodbye to 1/16” notches and internal sharp corners, by the time you have cut those features by hand, and removed the burr, then you would have tickled up the outer edges of the laser parts...

Andrew
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  
Agreed.. everything has a small downside I suppose.  
Although IMO stringer notches are of more trouble than benefit IMO... but that's digression.
Did hear talk at one point of wiping laser 'browned'   Wink edges with  bleach.
Internet wisdom ? or does this actually work ?

Other question is the shippings ? Just went to buy a kit but the shipping to west coast of Canada (bot said not Europe tho) was for slightly More coin than the Kit price.
 Taken aback by that frankly,  given that  I recently paid Far less  for transport for an ALFA  model...  a Big box .. from the Czech Republic. 
Something to look into perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:26:34 PM by fred » Logged
steveneill
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »

Not with Vintage Models CO kits that I can find. I just received this kit from them and I'm blown away with attention to details. Everything from the box to the packing. The vacuum parts, included glue and the instruction manual.

The laser cutting is superb. The parts from the TE to the LE are all notched too. And they are accurate. Same goes for the fuselage and unlike many kits the longhorns are laser cut too meaning that they are all the same shape exactly and cut from the same sheet of wood so they are consistent.

As there three videos clearly show on this model the notches are not trouble but accurate.

https://youtu.be/DNFcKuMQe0A

https://youtu.be/b8-mVQfe3Pw

https://youtu.be/v29abzAX9Bc

Using modern tools to make old world balsa kits when given proper care and attention makes a huge difference.

Andrew this kit is fantastic! My hat is off to you and Vintage.

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/U-812/VMC%20BF-109/IMG_0274.jpg

Took about two weeks to get. Shipping was very reasonable as was the price of the kit. Happy, happy.

VMC ME109

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 02:06:47 PM »

I got 2 VMC kits through Ironside Models, here in the States. You can find them on ebay andAmazon. They were actually at a sale price, which balanced out the shipping costs. They may not have the latest releases yet, however.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »

Not only are the kits first rate, but VMC also act on any glitches / mistakes that are fed back to them and they're gracious about it into the bargain.  Puts them at the top of my list of preferred kit manufacturers.

Lurk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: