Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 12:40:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1st P30 and winder questions  (Read 2243 times)
gavoss
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »

I've been away from FF for many years, but I've been building other models so I'm still experienced in building.  I know how to choose wood and can build light when needed.  Anyway, I'd like recommendations for a first P30 and a suitable winder for it.  I like the look of the Majestyk, Boomer and Monarch.  Short kits are fine but something with everything included can save a bunch of running around.  That said, I live in the Midwest and it's windy here all the time!  The Monarch with it's diagonal ribs looks like something that can take some abuse from our typical fields.

Please fire away with suggestions and your reason for choosing that particular model.  George

This is Mission Impossible Mr. Hunt.  "Difficult" should be a walk in the park!
Vern
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »

George,
I built a boomer and it flew very well in the wind & was durable. My only change was a Gismo Geezer front end. My winder is a modified egg beater hand drill. Gismo Geezer sells a P-30 winder & torque meter; I have flying buds who use & like them.

Regards,
Vern
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

Hi and welcome back to FF.

I have built the boomer and seen Clint's Monarch fly.
All things equal i'd get the 'full' Monarch kit simply because it is easier to build (imho vs. boomer) and 101% complete like you were looking for => http://www.cbmodeldesigns.com/monarch.htm  .
With regards to the winder, read Clint's instructions about winding and trimming(they go together), and go to Volareproducts.com and get a 10:1 winder => http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_46   and blast tube => http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_76  .
Volare also has 1/8" rubber - i suggest 1/2lb box - and rubber lube =>http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=56_37&products_id=115  .
I didn't see winding hooks at Volare  but CampbellsCustomKits should have the crocket CR-101 winding hook.
I know this seems like a lot and it is, at first, but after this initial expenditure your pretty much done buying stuff except for building new models and building winding stooge of some sort. 
have fun, js
jswain
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »

winding stooge of some sort.  have fun, js /quote]

here is a laser cut lite-py winding stooge that i use for p30 => http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ProductDetailNP.asp?Cguid={6BDCB7C4-4911-4E78-AD77-759D5A4D0C09}&ProductID=4573
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »

Crocket Hooks are on this page:

http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=56_40

--george

jswain
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »

Hi George, your 'da bomb' Grin

ps- congrats on continuing to build the website and product line, it is appreciated by all of us.

js
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »

I know this seems like a lot and it is, at first, but after this initial expenditure your pretty much done buying stuff except for building new models and building winding stooge of some sort. 
have fun, js

I told this to my wife yesterday after my last order. I suppose you can be done buying stuff, but who are you fooling? Certainly not my wife who rolled her eyes at my ludicrous statement. We are never done in our quest for a few more seconds in the air.  Grin
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

I told this to my wife yesterday after my last order

You told your wife Shocked

Brave man. I have long worked on the basis that what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over. A disorderly modelling space hides a multitude of sins Grin
flying minkey
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »

Amen to that brother. My work bench is my "make-up" table.
George
miloman
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »

I'm a 71 year old rookie when it comes to P-30's. What recommendations does anyone have for someone who likes to build and prefers a box built-up fuse? The Monarch looks good but I think the fuse is not a build-up. My apologies if this is a redundant question. I would also like the kit to be as  complete as possible‚Ķ..Milo
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »

I'm a 71 year old rookie when it comes to P-30's. What recommendations does anyone have for someone who likes to build and prefers a box built-up fuse? The Monarch looks good but I think the fuse is not a build-up. My apologies if this is a redundant question. I would also like the kit to be as  complete as possible‚Ķ..Milo

Campbell Custom kits Souper 30  or Majestyk will suit your needs just fine. The full kits are complete. I would change the DT to a pop off wing myself.

http://www.campbellscustomkits.com/campbells-custom-kits-catalog-31-05-17-2014.pdf

There are more listed on the P30 Page website:  http://p30page.weebly.com/built-up-fuselage-p30s.html

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »

In reference to the Majestyk, Lee Campbell tells me they are one of the best of that type (built-up).  I have 4 (I think) in stock, ready to ship.

--george

calgoddard
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »

You can get factory built P-30 airplanes here if you are inclined to go that route:

http://www.starlink-flitetech.com/P-30

The Pirate is an excellent flyer and well suited to utilize a pop-off wing DT. It has a carbon fiber main spar in each wing half.

Oops, just re-checked the Starlink Flitetech web site.  It looks like the Pirate is not currently available.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »

In reference to the Majestyk, Lee Campbell tells me they are one of the best of that type (built-up).  I have 4 (I think) in stock, ready to ship.

--george

The Majestyk is a sweet flying P30. One of the best I've seen and easy to trim and an excellent plane for windy conditions.

The attached pictures are of me launching a Majestyk in a stiff wind many moons ago.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1st P30 and winder questions
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:51:38 PM by DerekMc » Logged

Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »

Here is my almost finished Campbell's Souper 30. A tiny bit easier to build than the Majesyk because of the flat bottom wing airfoil.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n542/derekmc777/368d9533cbfdda1dfe72fa1f3a259a48_zps249f7781.jpg
1st P30 and winder questions

Derek
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »

As always, Derek, tremendous workmanship!  And I know at your hands it will fly tremendously well, too.  I don't think I'll ever be able to make a plane look so nice. 

Did you tissue-over-mylar this one, or just tissue?  I see the Eze Dope in the background; looks like you have the hang of that since your covering and finish looks so good.

I hope you have some time away from Coupe to fly that at Fab Feb!

--Bill

Good air don't care!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »

Thanks Bill but I don't get all the credit. I built the fuselage, those expertly covered wings are by FFBruce. And yes I did use EZDope on the fuselage using information i found on this site. It works pretty well.

And yes I plan of flying P30 at the IKE in the 40 year celebration. I'm not sure what else I will fly. Hopefully E36.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:24:48 PM by DerekMc » Logged

Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: