Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2019, 03:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: need help with trimming for wind  (Read 545 times)
roxy2
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »

Firstly Happy New Year to you all from the kiwi that cant fly ha ha.
Ive got about 10 tlgs that all fly great in still weather but as soon as there is wind they don't like it. My latest is just a 20 inch wingspan with a weight of 45
grams. Now this glider has a real slow sink rate in still wind and i can get good high launches with ease. Today i tried to launch it in an open field with slight breeze and knowing how they get chucked around in these conditions i didn't want to throw it too hard. Ive noticed in more wind as it comes round towards the breeze it slows right up but once it gets around and heads away it speeds up which causes it to turn quicker resulting in a just about spiral dive. I am such a novice when it comes to trimming for more wind. What would u guys look at for that situation? Huh
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »

suggestion/idea - try putting 1/2 gram of weight in *outboard* (of turning direction)wing tip, see if that makes a difference. Hopefully this will open up the turn just a bit without having to change all your other existing incidence settings.

fyi, I take a small piece of lead, smash it flat as paper into a roundish form with a smooth face hammer, cut and weigh what i want with junk scissors and adhere to bottom of wing tip with mild adhering glue .  It will come off easily with a razor or exacto blade if needed and not damage wood wing.
js

Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »

Agree with JS about using tip weight as it allows you to reduce the amount of rudder offset to get the glide. Had the same problem at the just completed OZ Nats while trimming out a new model so reduced the rudder offset until the model started to wander left on glide then added weight to right hand tip so that it would drop into a right hand glide. You may have to increase the decalage (wing to tail dihedral angle) or reduce nose weight.

If you use the tip weight suggestion then you basic trimming tool will be a file!

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »

You know Ive never bothered to offset the rudder on any of my models because i assumed the offset on the stab was to help it to turn from left to right once it is in a glide. Could that be my problem, i need a little left rudder so it wont dip down so much on the right wing when it picks up speed in strong winds?
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:43:27 AM »

You know i have never bothered to use any rudder offset on my tlgs so do u think that if i put a little bit of left rudder this would help to stop the right wing from dipping down so sharply  and tightening up on its circular glide when it speeds up in stronger winds? Roll Eyes
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:54 AM »

Roxy,
From this description, I have to make too many assumptions to be of assistance.

For one thing, I assume you are a right handed thrower, thus tail skew is
combined with rt fin tab & washin wedge on rt tip TE outside of d'dral joint.
This is SOP.
As mentioned earlier, vary glide circle using tip weight as req.

Your best bet in NZ is to meet, be mentored & fly with Paul Lagan, who is
very knowledgable with regard to trimming TLGs correctly.
That is what I would do.

I assume(again)that you may know Paul, who must be the most
accomplished all-around modeler & FFer in your country, IMO.
He lives about 100 clicks above Christchurch, so look him up.
It will be more helpful than struggling to learn via this Forum!
Leeper

Leeper
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:40:20 AM »

you lost me Leeper, i do throw right hand with the tail skewed slightly to the left when looking down from the top and with a wash-in wedge on rt tip TE outside of dihedral joint , so with the glider already turning into a right hand glide after launch wouldn't adding a right hand tab on the fin or what i would see as a rudder with right hand turn wont this cause the glider to turn right even more than what it does already?
I don't actually know of the famous Paul Lagan. Do u have his contact?
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »

I do have Paul's contact info. He is in fact coming to CA in Feb for our
BIG String of events.
You can PM me or,  ask the NZ Aeroclub who should give it to any member.

Leeper
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: