Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 02:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter No-Cal  (Read 2827 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

One of the reasons that I have only been putting an hour a day (Well, not every day.) into my Arrow build is the time I have been taking getting my next No-Cal kit ready for production.  It is the Bristol Beaufighter.  While it is a No-Cal Multi it is a legal No-Cal with only a 16 inch wing span.  The picture is of the first prototype frame.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0486_zps75ef5c4b.jpg

As you may have guessed, the production version frame has some improvements over this one. Right now the testing is to see which supplier's propellers I will supply with the kit (Peck at this point not being an issue with A2Z shutting down.)  Barring any unforeseen complications it will be available on my web site starting April 8th.  (I was going for an April 01 release date, but then I figured no one would take it seriously.)
Bristol Beaufighter No-Cal

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:22:57 AM »

What with the scheduled release date coming up next week I've been very busy with detail refinements, editing the plans, and still testing to see which propeller I will be supplying.  The photo here shows the second prototype.  The differences are: Motor stick made of keyed, laser cut stock, not strip stock, nose made of laser cut parts to eliminate the awkward strip stock structure, more beef in the wing/motor stick center alignment part, change in wing incidence, one piece fuselage top to eliminate hard to make curve in strip stock, gussets at wing panel joints, thrust button mounting angle changed (not visible in photo)115% area stabilizer, and nacelles redesigned for easier build.    With some plusses and minuses the weight remained the same.

The problem with making design changes is that I end up  re-laying out the parts sheets.  It didn't take me long on my first kit to get in the habit of not putting the "gates" in the cut lines until the final layout was done.  So far, no ballast has been required to get this little beast to balance.  We'll see if that fortunate circumstance makes it to the production kit.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0487_zpse2b0f796.jpg

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »

Going to push back the release date a week.  Outdoor flight testing was OK even if I did destroy the first prototype, but indoor flight characteristics are a little bizarre once you get it trimmed for a tight turn.  Fortunately, so far, it has proved to be extremely rugged, showing no damage even when flying into a wall, near the ceiling, and sliding down the wall to the floor. 

It still requires no or minimal ballast, depending on the propeller used, and like the 4-motor Fokker it has almost too much power with 1/16" rubber. I'm redesigning the motor stick to be an integral part of the wing structure.  It will make the whole thing lighter and allow for a greater range of thrust line adjustments.  If this works well I will redesign the upcoming Bf-110 and Mosquito to the same standards.

By the way, I have not found a reference for a Beaufighter target tug in orange.  They were bare metal with orange stripes.  The overall orange for target tugs came in with the Canbarra.  The kit skins will be British operating from the UK,  British Middle East, and American.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bristol Beaufighter No-Cal

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »

Well, it's still a little bit away.  I have to iron out a few production details, get all the skins drawn, and get a reliable supply of the propellers that work best, but it won't be too long and the Bf-110 and Mosquito will follow quickly.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0500_zps57213c9e.jpg

Ray_K
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

4-17-2014

Nice No-cal, you mention selling theses in kit form, do you have a website from where these can be ordered. I would like to see the other planes that you have in your kit line.

Many thanks.

Cheers, Ray K.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »

There have been all the usual things to do to get it into kit, make subtle changes and built new prototypes to test, redraw and edit plans, draw the skins, contact suppliers, etc., etc., etc., but it is coming.  There have been five prototypes so far, (Four in photo...the first was destroyed.) and number six will be the final production version.  I should get some video at El Coriso this Saturday night.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0508_zps2cd334d1.jpg

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

Kit is delayed at the moment.  The "production version" is exhibiting a "snaking" problem that doesn't trim out easily.  I won't release it until I'm sure that the average modeler can build it and fly it successfully.

Howard

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

Here is a link to a short flight of the Beaufighter No-Cal in the Boys and Girls Club gym.  I don't go for maximum flights in this gym because of the giant ventilation fan near the ceiling.  (We named it "The Sikorsky".)  Even if it isn't running it can really damage or hang up any model that hits it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5kIOW5ReTY

As you can see, I have the trimming difficulties sorted out and the kit will be available on my web site next week.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »

The Beaufighter production version has been finalized.  I'm doing my final edit on the plans and the skins.  It will be available on my web site June 06. 

This is a no-cal you can fly outdoors.  I was at El Cariso, last Saturday evening and was able to get good, stable flights before the air conditioning shut down.  El Cariso gym has a rather fierce air conditioning system that will normally blow no-cals right out of the air, but the Beaufighter has good penetration and handled it well.  It does require a drag tab on the wing to get a tight turn at an indoor venue, but if you fly outdoors you don't need it.

Here is a "bones shot" of the production version frame.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0548_zpsf21af45e.jpg

The interesting thing about this is that the components are just fitted together, there is no "green glue" holding it together for the photo!   It builds that tight.

While I was at El Cariso I also did my first test flights of the next release the P-36.  It did fly right off the board and there are not too many changes to the production version. 

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0539_zps14076dd5.jpg

I added landing gear to it because an upcoming contest on  required R.O.G. launches.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0547_zpsa32474ef.jpg

The others left early and I was the only one in the room, so I had to fly and video at the same time.  It has a good rate of climb and ended up brushing a ceiling truss and getting unstable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rISbfyDto-M

The testing showed me what changes I needed to make for production.  It's going so well that I think the third prototype, on the board now, will be the production version and it should be in kit a week after the Beaufighter.  The available skins will be US Pearl Harbor (The pilot of the plane depicted got two Vals during the attack.), French Battle of France, and maybe others if I get enough requests.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

Did some outdoor test flying this morning on the Beaufighter and P-36.  The Beaufighter has lots of power and penetration for outdoor flying even when it is not dead calm.  The testing did reveal some structural issues between the airframe and winding stooge that require a slight redesign of the stooge.  Basically, if you are not careful it's possible to break the wing lifting the stooge off it's pad to launch the airplane.  Just a minor redesign of the stooge to solve this.

The P-36 needs to be flown on 3/32" rubber to have penetration outdoors.  It has the same outrageous rate of climb that the Buffalo has when flown on 3/32" rubber.  I got it trimmed for the slight breeze and put in about 1200 turns expecting to get about a 75 second flight.  It was one of those mornings, and I had flown just a little too late because the field had warmed up enough for some thermal activity.  After two minutes it left the field.  I was able to chase it down in the residential area North of the Basin, and did locate it, but without a 30' extension pole I was unable to retrieve it.

Needed to build another one with some minor changes anyway.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

The Beaufighter is still a trimming problem.  The one I got to fly well was futzed around with too much to be released as a kit.  When I get it so that it can be made to fly well by simply building it straight and following the instructions in the kit I will release it.

Meanwhile, the P-36 is performing well and I released it this afternoon.  Here is a picture of it in the Battle of France skin.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »

Ashes to ashes, wood to wood Wink!  Looking forward to more news on these newer models.

I'll be starting on the Buffalo and Cutlass soon in another thread.

People, you have to see these babies!  First rate wood and lasering to where a big box, some fast setting glue and a few shakes should suffice to have the plane ready for the printed tissue (which one HAS to see to believe Shocked).  Packaging: Post Office/FedEx/Brown Truck proof.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »

Trimming problems with the Beaufighter have been solved!  The kit is now available on my web site.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »

Here is a short flight of the P-36 No-Cal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgbcA-TC-AQ

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »

Another video of theP-36 No-Cal, this time in the Battle of France skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0yvMc_V-U&feature=youtu.be

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »

Here's the P-36/Hawk No-Cal in the Vichy French skin.

KF

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 12:06:58 AM »

Giant NoCal Beaufighter is close to completion.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »

My original prototype of the Giant NoCal Beaufighter was built with 1/16" stock like the smaller version.  It flew well but would warp on a warm breath.  The current, production, beta prototype is made with 3/32" stock.  It's not that much heavier but is much more easily handled and transported.  After a slight redraw of the British temperate camouflage skin I will release it for production.  Look for it December 1st. 

The test flight in the video was just because Dave Gee asked me to do it.  It was being flown on light rubber with a large, acetate drag tab on the right wing to get it to turn in the small gym.  I'll get some outdoor video of it this weekend.

KF

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVY3ZEZ8gCc

FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »

Is there any FAC category that your giant Beaufighter could fly in?  It looks fun!
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »

The is no category for it  yet but Dave Gee and I have proposed it as a class.  We have had local contests for them called "2, 3 or 4 Off The Floor", with the rules being; NoCal type model, rubber powered, multi motored, 24" maximum wing span, and must ROG.  They are easier to trim than the smaller NoCals and are a lot of fun.

KF

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 01:25:55 AM »

Sorry that I didn't get the video this weekend.  My fault, I haven't used my Sony ActionCam in about a year, and simply didn't get it into record  for the Beaufighter flights.  I did prove my point about multi-motor rubber ships not needing opposite rotating props.  With the drag tab on it flies in a 50 foot circle.  I took the drag tab off and it went straight as an arrow, for a bit longer than I wanted to chase it at my age. 

I also flew my A-frame pusher, "Old School" which flies left under power and glides right and that does have opposite rotating props.  The secret of that is that one prop has more pitch than the other.  Get the video next time.

KF

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: