Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 06:26:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kit vs plan vs own design from a scoring viewpoint  (Read 453 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:02:10 AM »

Like many of us I sometimes like to build kits, sometimes design my own models, and this year have built to another's plan for my Dave Deadman designed PO2. For the Nats, I've been browsing the builder's declaration and judge's notes etc. which Mr Sephton kindly emailed to us. I can certainly see that a model built from someone else's plan should be marked lower than that of someone who's gone to all the trouble to start from scratch and get the outlines right himself. I was just wondering though, for the sake of future projects, how much of an advantage it is to submit a model made from your own design from a scoring point of view? If it's quite significant then it might make me slightly less inclined to build from another's plan or modify a kit next time. It will at least be another factor to consider. I do like designing a model, but it takes a good bit longer, and there are just so many planes to get through!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »

Building from a plan has a negligible effect, if any, on scores in the uk. Building from an inaccurate plan, as most are, is much more of a hazard. Even using ready made bits from others will only reduce scores in limited areas, ie craftsmanship. I think your best approach is to use plans but check carefully.
It doesn't affect the ff scene much. The problem has been in RC, including world champs, where increasing amounts of a model, up to 100 per cent, have been built by someone else.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »

Thanks Bill. I hoped that was the case. What about building a kit then?
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »

The problem has been in RC, including world champs, where increasing amounts of a model, up to 100 per cent, have been built by someone else.

i remember reading a few years ago that here in the USA, it is (was?) common for an R/C Scale airplane to be built by one person(s), bought by someone else and then the owner hires a "pro" to fly the airplane in competition.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, they didn't ask me....

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »

The problem has been in RC, including world champs, where increasing amounts of a model, up to 100 per cent, have been built by someone else.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, they didn't ask me....
Me neither. What do you get out winning a comp with someone else's model? I'd rather come last with mine, and I know what I'm talking about.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »

If lots of the hard bits were prefabricated, I would be docking maybe fifty per cent of the craftsmanship score. It is something the stc has wrestled with for years. Again it's mostly RC where you can have eg a mick reeves kit where the cowl, engine, guns, pilot, dashboard etc are all done.
In ff, not significant
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »

Cheers, Bill. In that case I shall now add the matter to my list of things not worth worrying about, and continue to just build what I want to! Smiley
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 06:03:02 AM »

Pete,
       I like kit scale because it provides a relief from the intense research of any of the open classes and any of the larger free flight kit that are now largely out of production are still problematic when it come to outline accuracy. A good example is the Flyline series that are quite variable in accuracy and it is a matter of doing a complete rework or accepting the penalty and hope it will do well on the flying end of the contest. Like you I want to like what I build.
 Ricky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: