Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 03:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Building my first ministick/livingroom stick  (Read 1910 times)
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »

I started building my first ever ministick so far I've got most of the major components done, weight at this point is .33g which means that the finished product will be well above .43g that is the minimum.

I'm hoping to try covering with food cling film. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Building my first ministick/livingroom stick
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

I got the mainplane and stabiliser  covered last night, it looks good, but this stuff is heavy! I put all the parts on the scale and its up to .51g! I did a quick check and it turn out that the food wrap I have weighs 9.5 g/m2.   
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »

Looking forward to seeing it fly. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

Regards,
Jimmy
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:18:58 AM »

it looks good, but this stuff is heavy! I put all the parts on the scale and its up to .51g! I did a quick check and it turn out that the food wrap I have weighs 9.5 g/m2.   

It'll fly fine...I covered my share of models with that stuff when I was starting out. When you're ready for a lighter, higher performing model, consider something like Ray Harlan's 'Super Ultrafilm' or the OS film available from Hobby Specialties.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Check the weight of a plastic grocery bag.  I believe the really thin ones are lighter than cling wrap.  Ugly, but lighter. 
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »

Built the prop and and glued in the dihedral and fins last night.

Jake you are correct, I weighed and messured the lightest shopping bag I have and its 6 g/m2, will use it as covering for the next one.

Re: Building my first ministick/livingroom stick
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »

Hey Korale, could I ask about your prop? diameter, pitch... wood specs for blades & spar?

Looking forward to hearing about your maiden flight. I am also curious to hear how you will go about trimming it for it's flight pattern too.

Nice job.  Smiley
Jimmy
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »

I'm building this from a plan I found on line here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145924#post13645504.

I formed the blades on a cylinder and built the prop on a jig as specified in the plan, not sure what the pitch is, by calculating backwards from the jig it should have a P/D about 1.8 (which seems low for a ministick).

The diameter is a little short of six and a half inches, the blades were made from the lightest ''C" grain sheet I had (110 kg/m3, 7#)  sanded down to about 0.5 mm, the shaft is from 120 Kg/m3 or 7.5# wood.

The rest of the plane was stripped from 97 Kg/m3 wood which is the lightest I had on hand.

korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »

Its done!

Just finished it, completed weight 0.68g  It took me a couple of tries to learn how to make the wire pigtail bearing, and I made about 20 attempts at tissue tubes before I got one that was suitable to use.

Once all the glue had dried I had to try it out, I chucked on a rubber band, put in about 100 handwinds and let it go in the living room, it flies OK. it's just circling at a radius that's larger than my small living room and hits the wall pretty quick. I'm wondering if and how I can tighten the turn.

I'm due to go flying in a gym in two weeks time and will get it trimmed properly then.

Now I have to build a box and stand for it .   Smiley

And of course I have to build a better one (later)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:45:39 AM by korale » Logged
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

Looking good Korale. I am real curious to hear what steps you take to trim it. Are you going left turn?
How much stab tilt if any do you have?

Regards,
Jimmy
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 01:17:16 AM »

The model suffered a 'total covering failure' on the main wing while trimming and I had to recover, I used light plastic shopping bag and its a little lighter now.

I also stuck the stab on at an angle to give more left turn, I have about 2mm of right tilit in the stab (the stab is 2mm lower on the right side)

The left wing has some wash-in

it does a single circuit of the room on about 70-80 winds but at higher winds the flight path straightens out and it hits a wall before making a circuit.

I will try putting in some left thrust on the bearing tonight.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 03:39:48 AM »

Good effort Korale. The turn may be ok for a hall as it stands. However I think you will find that you will need left side thrust and  left rudder as well as the tail tilt.
The easiest way to add the left rudder is to carefully crack the tail boom behind the rear rubber hook bend and reglue it with around 5-10 deg right rudder. Watch that you don't change the tail incidence.
Good luck
John
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

when I said I stuck the stab at an angle, what I meant was that I put in some left rudder,

These things are fun!, I managed to get it trimmed to fly slow circles in the living room, but I'm afraid I broke and patched it in several places due to collisions with various things, I just broke the motor stick while winding it (its fixable) .

I need to build another one, a lighter stronger one.   
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

That's great to hear Korale!
So I am anxious to hear how you finally got it to do slow circles small enough in the living room. What were the various trims you used?

You should take a peek at Larry, aka Flyguy's Mini-stick Micro-stick thread. His little 5" Micro sure holds a nice small pattern in his living room and flight's at 2 minutes and better.

Will be watching yours. I am enjoying your R&D with this guy.

Regards,
Jimmy
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »

the magic fix seemed to be to change the rubber to thinner rubber.

I don't have a proper rubber stripper, so I can't cut rubber to exact repeatable widths, my "redneck" rubber stripper only allows me to strip rubber down to about 1mm wide.

It flies well on one strand of 1mm rubber. with the earlier thicker rubber band the motor stick would deform as you put in winds, with the new rubber i put in 500 winds with no visible deformation.

Another reason that I was getting erratic behavior was because the covering had come loose in a couple of places, once I stuck it down, the model started behaving much more predictably.

I will build the next one with all the warps built in from the start and see what happens, I also know that the ribs on this one are too thick I think I can make them 1/2 as thin without compromising on strength. I've also bought some spray adhesive that is supposed to work on film so that should eliminate the problem with the plastic not sticking properly to the structure.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:58:25 AM by korale » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: