Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 25, 2020, 07:30:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UK Indoor Scale Nationals 2014  (Read 6092 times)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 63

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »

Just got back from Nottingham, helping set up the tables etc for tomorrow. Ready to go, with much anticipation. Quite a few people there doing some last minute trimming. Graham Banham's Cessna looks good for Open rubber, as do Mike Stuart's assorted Curtiss fighters. Pete Smart mistakenly using his outdoor motors in his Ju88 was a highlight. Quite a few YHWMs. Pete's Albatros for kit scale looks enormous. I smacked a wall with my Puss Moth before remembering the downthrust packing. Managed to find the perfect launch point.
So it's all systems go for tomorrow. Good luck everyone! We need cheering up after the Barkston debacle.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »

I'll just echo what Bill said; Good Luck everyone!

.....and remember, pictures, pictures, pictures (please).

Gliders are a part of me.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

Got there at 6 but hall already set up, so sorry I dodged all the graft. A really good atmosphere this evening which bodes well for a fun day tomorrow. I'm now sitting in a Premier Inn feeling quite happy as, although there's plenty of room for improvement, I didn't actually break anything during trimming and whatever happens tomorrow my Polikarpov at least flew today. Lilienthal wasn't gliding too well, but perhaps he's saving himself.

Kit Scale looks like it'll be a very high quality contest judging by tonight's very favourable ratio of models circling sweetly as against scuttling around on the floor.

Wonder if Rich tried his Burnelli after I left?
Ex Member

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

It's all over, at home now - models still in the car.  I'm absolutely knakered!

Kit scale was very tightly fought, an excellent contest, with some very very fine models, that 3rd placed Luscombe Silvair was fantastic in the air, the finish was absolutely top notch.  My favourite kit scale model had to be the Veron Shorts Seamew, I HAVE to build one!

Cheers to all who took part, and thanks go to Andy and all of his helpers.

Andrew
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »

Andrew

Thanks for whetting our appetites - now, where are the photos  Roll Eyes

Peter

ps I too like the Seamew, but it's a toss up between that and a Comper Swift
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »

My first year as a Flight Judge. Thanks to Bill taking me under his wing and showing me the ropes.

Lots of stonking models and I must try harder to get at least one model for next year.

John Churchill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »

I agree with Andrew, Kit Scale was some contest, I feel completely drained. It's a reflection of how high the standard was that the same model I finished third with last year only managed tenth this year even though it flew better (imho). By the way Andrew the Auster Arrow finished 3rd, the Luscombe Silvair finished 8th, but you're right it was beautiful, one of the best in class. The Harvard performed very well after all the effort you put in on Saturday night, wouldn't have known it was the same airframe!   Andy held the show together really well, just like a military operation Smiley, thanks Andy and team.

Now, I wonder if I can get the Waco finished in time for next year.

John.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:28:51 PM by John Churchill » Logged
Ex Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:01:56 AM »

By the way Andrew the Auster Arrow finished 3rd, the Luscombe Silvair finished 8th

My bad John.  Usually someone posts a picture of the results for us all to mull over before the "official" publication.....

Back to high wingers for me next year, it seems the only way to get a decent flight score.

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:40:39 AM »

I do have a pic of the scores on the doors, but can't post it till I get home later. Thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday; great to see everyone and I must admit I wouldn't have minded going back and doing it all again had that been possible. Many thanks, Andy (and all concerned): a triumph of organised delight kept, almost incredibly, on schedule.
 Agree that many kit scalers would have placed much higher in any of the previous 3 years I've been going, but what a joy to watch lovely flight after lovely flight. And the high entry number in the class (30 I think) meant you could enjoy them as you had plenty of time to spare between your own flights. Of course you had to make sure you weren't so busy watching that you weren't ready when your turn did come up. Anyone caught napping was shot at dawn this morning I believe.

Anyway, I'll post a few fairly random model snapshots later by which time perhaps some of the proper photographers might have added some too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:05:23 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:28:51 AM »

Good to hear that you all had fun. Looking forward to the pics and vids!

Roman
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »

Well done everyone  Smiley

Kit scale did look particularly closely fought - a very high standard.

Congrats to John C on the Mass Launch win (We was robbed Pete  Grin)
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:57:32 AM »

Peterborough MFC member, 13 year old Joe Rabicano with his Pilatus Porter from the Micro X kit.
Joe is suitably elated after getting in his first of four scoring flights.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: UK Indoor Scale Nationals 2014
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 05:16:37 AM »

Yes, well done Joe. Nice model too.

Congrats to John C on the Mass Launch win (We was robbed Pete  Grin)
Grin Must admit I was beginning to count our chickens. It was all looking very good till the motor broke when winding for round three. Still, I'm going to keep sticking that Fairchild in the Mass Launch till it either wins or completely disintegrates!
We'll done though, John! Grin
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 05:21:53 AM »

Peterborough MFC member Russ Lister with his DPC kit Sopwith Triplane.
Russ is looking a bit glum since he failed to qualify after his CO2 motor let him down.
The model was flying really well 2 weeks earlier at the Bushfields meeting.
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »

If you think Russ looks glum look at me sat behind him!! :'( Missed out by a second or so for a qualifying flight with my Volksplane! Angry I felt better later after seeing the respectable static mark I recieved from the judges and I really enjoyed taking part in the air race with Tim Horne. Managed 15 laps, not too bad. Still, had a great day and it was nice to have a catch up with everyone.
Cheers, Dave.  Cheesy Cheesy
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »

You think that is bad Dave. One of the open rubber competitors missed the target time by 0.6 of a second. I cannot remember who but the model stalled about 10" above the ground and touched down early. Rule are rules as they say.

I have a couple of poor videos of gliding. IIRC the two Petes. Do I post links here or in the Scale Indoor Gliders thread?
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »

Thanks Jon & Pete. It certainly was a close run thing in the Mass Launch. Thought you'd got it in the bag until your motor broke, you had me beaten in the first two rounds, better luck next time. Then I took round three by a whisker, so I wound the motor almost to bursting for the final and won by a heart stopping second or so. Ray Goodenough & ?? who finished second was interested in the Bird Dog so I said I would send him a plan, I've just got back from posting it, can't help thinking I might have shot myself in the foot!!!  It was a cracking day, even if I didn't get the Waco finished in time and Russ got a prize in the end, third in glider I believe. Cheer up Russ, you were on the podium in the very first indoor glider comp. Well done!!   Did Andy say the comp will be in Birmingham next year?

John.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »

I think he did say Birmingham, but did he say where in Birmingham or was he just speculating?

A few pics:
Kit scale results, Rich tuning his tripe, and his Burnelli soaking up the atmosphere ready for when it actually competes and blows us all away next time.

And talking of blown away, here's a shot of the models Paul Briggs had on a display table upstairs.

More photos later.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »

I have a couple of poor videos of gliding. IIRC the two Petes. Do I post links here or in the Scale Indoor Gliders thread?
Either thread or both would be great. If they are of me and Pete Smart then I suspect the two flights will be quite...er...contrasting. Thanks, Ian!
skylark
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

John,
The pilot of the model coming second to you in the mass launch was Rob Smith I was merely the pit man!
Looking forward to receiving the Bird Dog plan .
Many thanks for taking the trouble.
Ray
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

Peter Smart - Willow Wren - BMFA Indoor Nats 2014
http://youtu.be/q-NCSRCA9Uw

Pete Fardell - Lilienthal Glider - BMFA Indoor Nats 2014
http://youtu.be/-k7FPmfIOcI

There you go Pete. Did you ever  try a launch from the man made hill? aka the balcony
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

Cheers Ian. No he never went off the balcony. Probably should have tried it really but the tow-up was the best part of the flight so I was reluctant to lose it! As I suspected, the glide doesn't look too good (!) when viewed next to the impressively floaty Smart creation, but Andy told me it was nonetheless in keeping with the real Otto's flight pattern!
Thanks for filming it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:32:50 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »

No problem Ray, hope you enjoy the build, would be good to see someone else's take on this plan. I've included a few notes of mods I made, they add a gram or so but I think they improve the looks of the model, especially the wing, see what you think. Sorry about my ignorance regarding your pilot's name, my apologies to Rob.

John.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »

I had a great time. Really enjoyed the glider class. I'll look forward to that next year if it runs again. I would suggest it might open the class up a bit if it wasn't limited to kit gliders. Any scale glider might open up the choice of model a bit - any thoughts?

My Burnelli seemed to capture peoples curiosity (Bill Dennis laughed at it and I lost count of the number of people asking 'what the hell is that?') and I look forward to developing it for next year.

The air race is fantastic fun - I think the Fury might do better than the tripe, which did well to get 11.5 laps in!

Room for improvement on the Kitscale rankings but, as everyone has said, the standard was amazing this year.

Great to see everyone and roll on next year!

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »

Rich, the glider class already was open to non-kit gliders, hence the Lilienthal (although if your glider was a kit build you could have entered it in Kit Scale too).
If they keep the rule about scale flight characteristics then for next year Tim Horne and I have hatched plans to make a medieval tower jumper or one of those foolhardy crackpots who launch themselves off piers in homemade contraptions, and just lob them off the balcony. They'll just plummet and break, but hey- it's how the real ones flew too!  Smiley

More seriously,  I'm looking at a Percy Pilcher Bat next time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: