Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 06:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UK Indoor Scale Nationals 2014  (Read 5655 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »

Oh, my mistake. I thought it was kit only but I am notoriously bad at reading rules. Something I really must change. That and turning up at competitions with untested models...

Oh, and thanks Jon for the assistance in the air race. I'll ask Santa for a new winder!

It wasn't me
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »

Or one of the Bognor Birdmen/Red Bull Flugtag  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

Yes, I think those were probably the chaps Tim meant!
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »

Pete, I've just realised something, I've fallen foul of a rule I pointed out to you (to your benefit) a couple years ago. Namely if two competitors have the same total score, the competitor with the higher flight score shall take the higher place.  Damn! Grin

John.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:35:20 PM by John Churchill » Logged
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »

I thought turning up with untested models was all part of the game!!
Ex Member

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »

Having looked at the results again (thanks Pete) I realised that my flight scores were ok, I nobbled myself on static with deviations which were the wheel wells (impossible to cover as drawn) the inlet scoop and exhaust pipe, and the lack of the u/c leg "kipper ties" which weren't on the prototype... Ho hum I still enjoyed it

So perhaps it will be another low winger.... The wildcat/Martlet me thinks....

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »

A few photos. In the Kit Scale lineup, most of the top placers came from the yellow area in the middle distance. I really liked the Seamew and enjoyed taking part in KS although I really have little idea what is going on.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: UK Indoor Scale Nationals 2014
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

Agree the Seamew was a star. I was quite taken with the little Hurricane too, though didn't get a picture unfortunately.
It's quite interesting (if you're a bit geeky like me) to compare last year's Kit Scale scoreboard here http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/Results/IndNats2013.htm with this year's, particularly as there are one or two models such as Dan's and John's which were there both times. I think it shows some nice consistency of judging in the static marks too.
As far as the flying goes, last year there were 9 total scores of over 230 (a purely arbitrary cut off point) as opposed to 15 this time, which even allowing for the increased field backs up what we we all saw. I suppose I'd have to analyse just the flight scores to really confirm it, but even I'm not that nerdy!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »

I was quite taken with the little Hurricane too, though didn't get a picture unfortunately.
Hang on, turns out I did!
Ex Member

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »

I didn't get any pictures  Sad I forgot my Camera at home in a complete daze which stayed with me for the rest of the day....

So keep 'em coming.....
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »

Andrew, look at the results again, your Harvard tied on points with the Seamew but you had the higher flight score, should you be in 14th place?
Ex Member

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

Looks like you are right......
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 06:03:38 PM »

Oh, and thanks Jon for the assistance in the air race. I'll ask Santa for a new winder!

Get a new arm first Rich  Grin Yours must be worn out!

Next year I'm turning up with a dedicated racer and a 200:1 winder  Cool
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 06:05:08 PM »

Pete, you've got me looking at results now!!! Dan and I flew the same models this year as last year. Last year we both got 76 points in static, this year I scored 75 points while Dan scored 82 points. Dan said his model was untouched from last year, mine had exhausts and steps added this year which are on the KK plan (so was incomplete last year). Does that show consistency Huh I'm all confused now! Must be different judges seeing different things.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »

Were the judges the same?

Loving the pics and vids so far. More please!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »

John, I only meant that your respective years' two static marks weren't all that different. Dan's model must have just got better by being 'casked' for a year!  Grin
Andrew, for the sake of consistency I think you should be bumped up. Also, you never know- the top 12 might yet fail the dope test!
(actually I think I failed it the day I was born  Grin).

More scoreboards. I know we just should wait a day or two for them to be on the Tech Committee site, but I can't seem to help myself!
 Looking at the Co2/Electric results, I wonder if anyone can give me any idea how much higher my Polikarpov's's flight score might have been had it landed on its wheels properly rather than headbutting the wall and sliding down it into safe hands (thanks, by the way!)
 I ask because I'm quite pleased with the static mark and might enter it again if I can get the flight pattern more reliable.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »

With so many models in Kit Scale, the judges had their work cut out ...... they would have been looking at a completely different scenario to last year.
I was a bit gutted with the motor troubles I had to be honest ... and was even more disappointed to find that, after all the flying was done, my model hadn't been static marked at all. Obviously there was no point then, but it would have been a little less bitter a pill to swallow if I had a least a few points to show for the weekend. As I say though, the judges did have their hands full.

The overall standard in Kit Scale was marvelous this year .... any one of the top dozen or so would have looked a winner if viewed in isolation.
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

I don't know Monique, were the judges the same both years?

Pete, I think you've hit the nail on the head, I must get myself a model cask:)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:33:39 PM by John Churchill » Logged
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »

Thanks Russ for the steadying hand. I thought it strange that you hadn't got a static mark, I assumed you had withdrawn, shame about that Sad
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »

John, better also ask Dan in which concoction he matures his models. I'm guessing Special Brew.

Just for variety from Kit Scale talk, here's Roel Lucassen's foam Sausewind peanut.  A lovely and unusual little model, which I for one hadn't seen before.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »

John, as far as I remember, Graham and someone else did static judging last year for Kit Scale, but I see Graham competed in kit scale this year, so did he compete and judge? If he only competed that should settle the different static marks for some models that competed this and last year?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

Let's face it, the marks are never going to be completely consistent with so much scope for subjectivity, but the judging is brilliant as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't really like to do it even if I felt I had the skillset. Graham wasn't judging kit scale I don't think. It was Ian Pallister and....sorry can't remember.

Anyway, here are three Open Rubber models. Sheer class! Really, what can you say?
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »

Well, that's what I'm saying, there was a different judge this year for kit scale, so the marks would be different, but considering how little difference, shows a pretty good level of consistency across all the judges. Smiley
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »

Graham wasn't judging this year Monique, guess the would explain it. Don't think I could do it, certainly takes some doing.

Must be 'Spesh' Pete, amazing things happen under the affluence of incahol......
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »

I thought it strange that you hadn't got a static mark

Yeah, Ron did ask me later to be fair, but it seemed pointless at that stage to put them through extra work ..... I just wish that it had been one of the 'lucky ones' done earlier. The model did spend most of the day waiting to be judged ... leaving me no 'tinkering time' with the motor. With a clearer head I have realised my problems started with the motor when I put the fairly tight fitting dummy motor in .... still not sure how exactly it was affected but it could have been that the oil was not getting where I was trying to put it ... or the motor was 'refridgerating' in the small space? Spilt milk and all that though .... might try it without the dummy motor to see if it comes back alive.

Another point re. judging. I seem to remember reading the judges notes in the rule book ... the judges are invited to create an early 'order of merit' as I remember? With the increased number of models there may have been other models squeezing in between previous placings in this order?

Yes, the judges were different this year Monique ... though I don't think Graham was involved in the Kit Scale judging last year?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: