Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 11:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostonian Beaver - another one....  (Read 1558 times)
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

Hello to everybody.
Still waiting for the grass to grow long enough to start safe flight testing of my G55 (but it's almost there....), I needed a new toy - something relaxing to build and easy to fly. The Beaver in Minnow's thread (http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=16291.0) was too nice to resist and, although I built the original Walt Mooney version, some of the tricks displayed in the thread (in particular the assembly of the cowling) have been very helpful, particularly in the assembly of the cowling (thanks a lot for sharing !).
The build has been quite relaxing and straightforward, as I wanted it to be, so nothing to write home about but the model has a lot of character and is a joy to see it in flight !
 The set of bones and the propeller :
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Bostonian Beaver - another one....
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »

the model, completed. I opted for raised wing tips, should improve the flight stability (and I prefer the look....)
Re: Bostonian Beaver - another one....
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »

...and these are some pictures from today's test flights. The model looks so realistic in flight that is pleasure to see it circling around !
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Well, I am happy like a 10-yrs kid. I had to climb a cherry tree to rescue the model, I fell down (but, as I said, grass is growing, so the landing has been reasonably soft), spend some hours outside...great !
As far as the model is concerned, it balances between the two spars. However, to have it flying properly , I had to introduce some decalage in the stab. No way to fly keeping the stab flat on the rear fuse as per the plan. No nose weight.
The other comment is that, as already hinted in Minnow's thread, the model flies so well with the 'boston' wing that I am regretting not to have built it with the longer wing - it would have been great !

So, once again I realise how nice, relaxing and fun this hobby is......my wife has a different opinion when she finds balsa dust here and there but this is another story....

Bye for now !

Marco
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:08:13 AM »

Marco, what a nice Bostonian Beaver. I have it on the list to build and your nice report and the great pictures just pushed it higher in the pile.
I like the yellow / blue colour scheme. As you sad, it looks very realistic in the air. It seems to be a great flyer.
Hope to see more of it.

Best regards Roman
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »

Ciao Roman - thanks for the nice words. Next time I will go to the filed I will try to take some more snapshots ! Keep doing your wonderful models

Marco
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »

Your Beaver looks beautiful in the air Marco.  Big time congratulations!

Don
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:29:15 PM »

Don, thanks. Bostonians are such a nice class of models - good fliers still very realistics and easy to build
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »

Marco,
Your Beaver looks great and seems to fly well.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »

Ciao Dave. Thanks for the appreciation. It actually flies quite well. I am regretting not to have built the 'long' wing version !
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »

some videos - usual quality (i.e. very poor...). Few turns (max 700) because of small field and lot of trees. Unfortunately there was some wind so most of the launches have been spoiled by some gusts. And my helper is on training.....lot of fun, really, a very nice afternoon. At least I can say that this plane is kid friendly....I am tempted to carve a new prop with a higher pitch. Let's wait and see... Ciao !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xo6fZh0-EU&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozoeDVHO8c&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXRvWaZHyI&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT-Uampax-g&feature=youtu.be
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »

Hi Marco,

Nice flying Beaver.  In reply#3 you mentioned about the need for more decalage.  I also noticed that you did not use the trim tabs as shown on the plan.  I am undecided, since I generally do not like movable ("bumpable") trimming surfaces either.  I may just build in some gap at the stab LE to handle the trim settings.  Thanks for the heads up!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

Indoorflyer, "...Nice flying..." you are very kind. There have been much better flights...I did not use trim tabs because on structures this small I am unable to do a decent job. So I just modified the lower part of the rudder to leave some room to raise the trailing edge of the stab and  when I finished trimming, I built a wedge to act as a seat for the stab and make the solution a bit more stable. However the stab is fitted but not glued, the wedge forces a little bit and it is enough to keep everything in place. Another small change I introduced (because I am flying it outdoors with my kid, so a bit of strength is required) is an additional cross brace that runs internally from one side to the other of the fuselage, approximately at the trailing edge station. It is where I would grab the model for the launch - I would break the vertical stringers quite easily otherwise.
Ciao
Marco
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 03:47:22 AM »

Just a brief - and final - update. I carved a new prop with a slight higher pitch (P/D about 1,2) and tested it again. Wow ! Flights got longer and longer, higher and higher. So when I decided  to do the very last flight of the day, I decided to be brave,  turned 1,500 turns and let it go. I timed about 70 sec before losing sight of it over a wood.....I succeeded to spot it, thanks to its yellow color....The Beaver now sits at about 10-15 meters on the very top of a tree. Absolutely unrecoverable... :'( :'( R.I.P. But I am sure that this is the end it would have chosen ....
So,  now there is a free slot in the hangar - time to build something else  Grin Grin Grin !
 Ciao a tutti !
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »

So,  now there is a free slot in the hangar - time to build something else  Grin Grin Grin !
 Ciao a tutti !
          Maybe the long wing version, it will fly better.  Bad luck to loose it like that Marco but much better than to loose it to the cat.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »

Marco, sorry to hear about the disappearing of your Beaver. Always the nice ones fly away.... Why can it not be the other way Roll Eyes
Maybe you are lucky and the wind will blow it down?
But good to hear that you already plan a new plane. Looking forward to see it documented here.

Best regards from the north Roman
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »

Dave -  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Roman - I will definitely build something else; the problem is deciding what model. I have so many things on the wish list....

Thanks for your comments

Ciao
Marco
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: