Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 18, 2021, 04:10:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tail-Firster P-30 and Turbulators  (Read 470 times)
taylormanly
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

I'm just finishing up a Tail-Firster P-30 model.  It came out a bit on the heavy side, used the kit wood from BMJR.  I am interested in hearing what results others have had with this model and whether or not they used the turbulators as shown on the plan.  When using thread turbulators, do you dope them onto the tissue or rig them over the structure and then cover over them?  Glide tests in back yard look promising but wind was blowing too hard today for any power testing.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »

Hiya - Canard P30 eh?  Smiley Hope it flies well for you.
Re: turbulators -usually these days they are glued to the surface of the covering, but on my Inchworm (50's glider) the three thread turbulator threads are glued onto the structure before covering. (Doesn't make it too easy to change your mind about position done this way though) Wink
Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »

I have flown it with and without the turbulators. I couldn't notice the difference. I just doped them on.
The one I have now has porked up to 55gms. It does fine in a thermal and does well in a lot of wind. It doesn't do too well without a thermal.
I went to a pop-off wing for DT. The stab release method makes a sort of maple-leaf helicopter descent is a lot of trouble in a strong thermal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: