Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 05:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1945 Little Vagabond.  (Read 1468 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »

1945 Little Vagabond with Indian Mills 1.3.

This model was the first power model I ever built as a pre teenager for a Penny Slot 2cc ED Mk2.
It never flew all that well as it was heavy and more than likely poorly built.

I built this one in 1995 for the Mills and it's had lots of flying free flight flying.
I just re-covered the wings as the heavy Modelspan was old, brittle and patched up.   I had enough left to recover the wings.

Have decided to put a single servo into it to keep it nearby at my local small fields I can use at times.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
1945 Little Vagabond.
1945 Little Vagabond.
1945 Little Vagabond.
1945 Little Vagabond.
ricardo
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:09 AM »

I just re-covered the wings as the heavy Modelspan was old, brittle and patched up. 
Can you still get Modelspan?  Shocked Wet Strenth Modelspan was my favourite covering.

An engineer is someone who can do for 2 bob what any fool can do for a quid
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »

My almost depleted stock of Modelspan is 40+ years old.    No doubt it was the best tissue EVER.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »

Your 'Little Vagabond' looks like an enjoyable little aircraft.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »

Thanks Dave.  It's not exactly pretty, but it's a quick easy build.......Plan is on Outerzone.
At 44 inch span and a bit over 300 square inch wing area anything from an .049 would fly it.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »

Thanks Dave.  It's not exactly pretty, but it's a quick easy build.......Plan is on Outerzone.
At 44 inch span and a bit over 300 square inch wing area anything from an .049 would fly it.

gossie,
The Model looked smaller to me while viewing your pics.
Thanks for the info.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »

Hi Ricardo
I use Modelspan on most of my tissue covered models, it does give the nicest finish.

I can only get white, Light Modelspan (12grm/mtr2) it is available here http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

Have just received 2 - 10mtr rolls at just under $30 including shipping, at $1.50 a meter that's fine by me.
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »

Gossie,
As soon as I saw the name 'Little Vagabond' the name GWW Harris came into mind and I thought, Yes, he published several very sound aeroplanes and then disappeared.  My mind ran on to think that this often happens  in our hobby; a bright star appears, shines for a while and then fades never to be seen again.  However my next, happy, thought was of the great number who are now reporting a return to the hobby on HPA.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

Dave - replied to your PM, not showing in 'sent' box re Modelspan; if not received please email me direct at [email protected] 
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:40:41 AM »

Yes received Jim, will post Monday.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

Hi Ricardo
               I use Modelspan on most of my tissue covered models, it does give the nicest finish.

I can only get white, Light  Modelspan (12grm/mtr2) it is available here http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

Have just received 2 - 10mtr rolls at just under $30 including shipping, at $1.50 a meter that's fine by me.
Dave
Is it real modelspan? I've been searching for years and bought some ghastly stuff.
Bill
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »

Bill

Have you tried the stuff that Mike Woodhouse sells and calls Modelspan?

I hope it doesn't upset you but I gave away a lot of heavyweight Modelspan, but have kept some lightweight. I find that it's much easier to apply over mylar compared with Esaki.

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »

Peter
No, I hadn't seen that. I think it must be a new addition to his wares. You say he 'calls' it Modelspan?! I'll try some at the Nats but a roll sounds better
Bill
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »

Bill

Don't take that the wrong way Wink it's under the heading of Modelspan on Mike's website, but I've never bought any as I still have sufficient for my needs. A roll is a lot if it turns out not to be as good as you hoped  Roll Eyes

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

Very true. I have lots of different tissues that look like Modelspan but they behave very differently. I'll give Mike's stuff a go.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »

Hi Fellas
The tissue I buy from Cornwall Model Boats is "Mantua Models" Made in Italy Modelspan Tissue. It's as I remember but I'm sending "applehoney" a sample, so we can wait his decision on authenticity. Whatever the outcome its the nicest tissue to use Full Stop.
Dave
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »

I'll be very interested what Jim thinks of it.   I'm right out of white light Modelspan original, but if some was available.................... Smiley
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »

I await the sample with interest.    I'm out of white MSD also but have stocks of old Silkspan which sort of falls between ltwt and hvywt  MS and serves well on larger models.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »

I await the sample with interest.    I'm out of white MSD also but have stocks of old Silkspan which sort of falls between ltwt and hvywt  MS and serves well on larger models.

I like the white light MS to cover fuselages that need painting..........recently I've used yellow light MS...........bit of a shame if you need to paint over it, and not use the colour as such.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »

Hi All
I sent applehoney a sample of the so called modelspan tissue I've been using and he replied with some genuine black model span. The 2 tissues are certainly different, the original seems a finer grain than the tissue I've been using and while the sample I received seemed about the same weight it was too small a piece to register any difference on my scales that weighs to .1 grams.
I covered the wing tips of my 60's coupe to try it out. Now as a comparison I covered the way I normally cover and that is : Dope the structure, apply the tissue with thinners and then water shrink followed by two coats of 50/50 dope/thinner and a few drops of castor oil.   It did not seem to sit down quite as nice and certainly did not shrink much after a spray of water, however after two coats of dope it pulled up quite nicely.  I think the original modelspan would be better if applied wet but I have never had success with that method so I though it would not be a fair comparison. While the new modelspan has coarser texture this disappears with a coat of dope.

I will be interested in Jims comparison to see what results he gets.

Its about 8 deg. C in the shed here at night and its raining so no surprise the dope blushed so no photos, though surprisingly more on the modelspan than on the other 60's tissue I used on the rest of the airframe, if I get the right conditions on the weekend I brush on some thinners and hopefully it will disappear.
regards Dave
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Haven't had a chance to try the sample yet, Dave...   will be done shortly

I cover Modelspan - and all other tissues - dry;  then thoroughly dampen it with a wet tissue and allow to dry while panel pinned down on 'spacers'.   Shrinks well.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »

Genuine heavy Modelspan can be dipped into water then lain onto the structure that has been pre-doped.  Then VERY thin dope used to attach it by painting onto the structure.
It will attach and when dry will be taught and ready for a couple of thin coats of dope.

Light Modelspan as well as the heavy can be lain onto the pre-doped structure then attached as above.   A mist of water from a spray bottle is ideal to water shrink it.
Lightweight is a bit flimsy to run through a tub of water before laying onto structure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: