Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Simple HLG plan  (Read 1613 times)
tnjeff
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

My son's engineering class is building gliders and though I haven't seen them, it sounds like they might not be optimal. Back in the day, a friend loaned me a copy of Kaufmann's book "Flying hand-launched gliders". If I recall (and I may be mis-remembering) there was a pretty simple plan in there, 18in. span, 3in. chord, spruce fuselage, that flew pretty well. I was wondering if anyone could give me dimensions for a hlg like that. My son is asking questions about building techniques and I thought I could probably remember enough about those to teach him a little.

Of course he wants a tip launch glider, but after looking at plans I'm a little unsure about some of the building techniques. I thought maybe a simpler one would get him in the air a little quicker, and then we could learn about the newer ones if he wanted to. I've seen plans for smaller span gliders but I got such good flights out of the larger one I thought that he might too. He was trying to tip launch a little guillows glider in the yard the other day! Didn't do too bad, considering.

Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

The Plans Gallery has 9 pages of gliders, look under Free Flight - Outdoor Gliders

A good percentage are HLG's with a few tip-launched as well.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
tnjeff
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

Great, thank you!
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »

The DiscusKid web site has several TLG plans online.

For an easy, successful solution, I recommend you purchase Stan Buddenbohm's "Easy TLG" 18 or 24 kits. The kits come with properly selected wood. The plans and TLG instructions are purchased separately so you don't have to pay for them again if you buy multiple kits. The catalog is also on the DiscusKid site.

Here's the link: http://www.discuskid.com/Pages/BUddenbohmProducts.aspx

NormF
tnjeff
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »

For an easy, successful solution, I recommend you purchase Stan Buddenbohm's "Easy TLG" 18 or 24 kits.

That looks good and the price is right. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: