Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 04:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Irish Jumping Bean  (Read 2837 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »

Here's the other thing that has been on my workbench along with the Arrow and the Beaufighter No-Cal.  It's a Bostonian for a local contest that I call the Irish Jumping Bean.  This is a formal project using full EAYGA standards. (Prize to the first forum member who can tell us what that means.)

Here is a shot of the parts on the bench.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0509_zps138e1545.jpg

I stuck it together with a few dabs of "Green Glue"  (Comes apart with a whiff of acetone.) for a "bones shot".

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0510_zps3910ec0f.jpg

Since this is a bit delicate I decided to cover dry and shrink with alcohol instead of covering wet.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0511_zps344c9426.jpg

Here's how it looked before shrinking.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0512_zps621b8c18.jpg

I got my pin down setup ready before shrinking the wing covering.  It's a 95 degree day, about 82 in the garage, and I had to be all setup to work fast because the alcohol would start drying almost immediately.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0513_zps24b6b1d5.jpg

Here's the wing wet and drying.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0514_zps354c7530.jpg

Fuselage is dry in this shot and waiting for a misting of Krylon #1305.  That upper longeron should have been stiffer and I had to sister in another piece when I cut out the window holes.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0516_zps94348148.jpg

I'll try not to forget my camera for video tomorrow.
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »

Here's what it looks like finished.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0519_zps7a8d2408.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/kittyfritters/100_0520_zpsa89d43a2.jpg

I switched to the North Pacific prop because it has a shallower pitch than the EB prop and is easier for a single loop of 1/16" rubber to swing.  A small drag tab was added at the dihedral break on the left wing to insure a tight left turn.  Someone suggested that with the triple tail I should have called it "Bostillation."
Irish Jumping Bean
Irish Jumping Bean

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »

Well, no video, except, maybe some rather embarrassing stuff that Dave Gee may post of it doing high-speed taxi runs around the gym floor. 

It wouldn't R.O.G with 1/16" rubber for power so I changed to 3/32" rubber and back to the EB prop.  I had damaged the stabilizer getting it out of the car, the first of eight separate times I broke the stabilizer in two hours, (Calls for some re-design here.) and had some trouble getting the trim right.  I switched back to the North Pacific prop and it tried harder. Finally, I clipped off the tail skid to give it a better 3-point stance on the floor and that did it.  I got a good flight, that managed to go behind one of the pillars and over the seating area, twice!  Then the motor broke.  I installed a new motor and while winding it that one broke.  I re-tied it and tried it again.  I made the last two flights of the contest and they were good enough for me to place 4th in a field of 14.  Not disappointing for a model that I finished the night before the contest.  I'll build a redesigned stabilizer for it and keep it for the next Bostonian contest.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »

Here is a link to a video of a short flight of the Jumping Bean.  We don't wind for maximum flights in this particular gym because of the giant ventilation fan near the ceiling.  Even though it's not running when we fly it can chew up or hang up a model that hits it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9UN_zAeu4

Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »

nice slow flight and great landing ! congratulations
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »

Was at the O.F.F.C. Outdoor Spot Landing/Predicted Flight Time contest for rubber powered models this morning.  I had my all balsa, R.O.G, "Basic Airplane", but was having trouble getting enough power for the R.O.T. (Rise Off Table) launch without getting too much climb and getting into thermal territory.  After I treed the Basic Airplane the third time, (Pete Bassone brought his 30' retrieval pole.) I got out my very predictable Bostonian.  I predicted a 34 second flight, flew 34.4 seconds...and finished 3rd!

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »

So,I was working on my Mk2 version of the Irish Jumping Bean with a few redesign features when I had a medication induced hand cramp.  I felt it coming on in time to swear but not enough time to let the fuselage go.  Fortunately it is rebuildable and I'm only on the meds for another day.  As my Dad used to say, " Getting old ain't for sissies."
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Irish Jumping Bean

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »

The Mk2 version of the Jumping Bean finally got built.  There have been several changes.  The third tail was eliminated and the motor peg has been moved up a bay.  The profile of the fuselage has been changed to re-locate the thrust line and the landing gear is longer and has a wider tread so that the R.O.G. launches, with a tight turn cranked in, are not so hairy.  I am also using a six-inch Peck prop from my carefully guarded stash.  (Word is that Peck is back in business under new ownership.  Can't wait till they start molding those props again.)

The biggest change has been the wing which has the laser cut, 3-inch, "generic ribs", that I designed for Dave Gee.  It is also now removable being held on by a rubber band.  I used a couple of 1/16" aluminum tubes as the wing anchors.  Some of the more experienced indoor types, (I've only been flying indoors for 5 years.) asked why I didn't use carbon fiber tubes.  The simple reason was that I didn't have any.  Several of them have also been using carbon fiber tubes as motor pegs...half the weight of aluminum.

The first flights have shown more promise than the original Jumping Bean's first flights and I will get a chance to wring it out some more tonight at the Black Sheep second Friday of the month session.  One odd thing that you can see, in the picture, is that the domestic tissue I used for the orange sections of the airframe (I ran out of orange Isaki.) reacted with the glue stick turning red at the points of contact.  I have always checked domestic tissue for color fastness with water and alcohol, but now I will have to check it with glue stick also.

Believe it or not, I've redesigned it again!  I decided that there were some structural issues with the fuselage and I eliminated those as well as including some building features in case I decided to kit this as well as any other box fuselage models...but that is for an entirely different post...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Irish Jumping Bean

Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

I just watched the video and it sure flies nice.
Great job.
Dave
EDIT,
I'm surprised that no one else has given any remarks about this aircraft.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:39:57 PM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 06:03:44 AM »

I've only just seen this topic as I joined HPA between the last set of posts and the current ones and there are still topics I haven't got round to. I only found this one by trawling the latest posts section. It looks like a great little model with lots of thought and experimentation involved - just the sort of thing that attracted me to the forum. I'm full of admiration for the persistence to overcome troubles (the crushed fuselage was a real bummer) and would like to think that I could be as patient and persevering  Undecided Great job kittyfritters and thanks for sharing it.

Dave Hunt
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 03:24:42 AM »

I've just come across this thread. its a nice little model KF. Good luck with it. What version is it now?

John
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »

I've just come across this thread. its a nice little model KF. Good luck with it. What version is it now?

John

The Mk3 version is on the building board.  The Mk2, in the above photo, started giving me fits at the last session.  With a drag tab to tighten the turn it just refused to fly.  With enough winds for a contest flight the R.O.G. takeoffs were more hairy than with the narrow tread landing gear.  After some experimentation it turned out that the fix was simple...more decalage!  This airfoil needs twice the incidence of the first version (which I should have known since I designed it.)

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »

Well, now I have a version of it that climbs smartly and then floats sedately around the room.  However, by popular request, the definitive version of my three tailed Bostonian, "Irish Jumping Bean", has been renamed "Bostillation".  I also have prototype of a biplane Bostonian that is named the Beanburg DI.  O.F.F.C. Bostonian contest next Wednesday.  More in another thread.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »

OK,  My Bad! I retract my last post.  I now have three Bostonians on the building board, the definitive Irish Jumping Bean (Which will retain that name.), a new triple tailed model that is the Bostillation, and my biplane, the Beanburg DI.  It's going to be tight but I want to have all three done to test fly at the O.F.F.C. session next Wednesday.

I flew the Mk2 Irish Jumping Bean at the O.F.F.C. Bostonian contest last Wednesday.  Warmed it up with a couple of easy 40 second plus flight and then wound for the ceiling.  Unfortunately, it got to the ceiling and stayed there.  Two years ago, before the Parks Department replaced the flush florescent fixtures with hanging halogen lights, this would have been a winning flight. It circled just below the ceiling for 38 seconds until it hit one of the halogens straight on.  It recovered but then tangled with one of the basket ball back stops on the way down.  I thought I had repaired the damage but it lost its turn and my remaining flights were long enough to be official but ended in impacts with the walls.  As one of the guys that broke a motor said, "I needed to back off one less turn.  Undecided

daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

This is a formal project using full EAYGA standards. (Prize to the first forum member who can tell us what that means.)

Very late I know but I've only just spotted this; could it be Engineer As You Go Along?

Dave
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »

This is a formal project using full EAYGA standards. (Prize to the first forum member who can tell us what that means.)

Very late I know but I've only just spotted this; could it be Engineer As You Go Along?

Dave

Dave,

Well, this is a surprise!  You are the first member of this forum to figure it out!  PM me with your mailing address and I will send you one.  Or, if you don't do Bostonians on that side of the Pond, check my web site, hjlmodels.com, you may prefer one of my No-Cal kits.  Let me know.

Howard

BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »

All around the sky I fly the Tri-Color Ribbon!  Wink Slainte
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: