Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 12:28:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Knockoff wings  (Read 1595 times)
schnellwilli

« on: February 07, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »

In recent years I have seen or heard about large scale models, Jumbo, Giant and especially multi engine, being badly damaged in crashes that smaller models might have shrugged off. This is, of course, because the big models have more mass. I solved the problem on my first Giant Scale Model, a TA152H, by using knockoff wings. Nothing new about this but it is a feature that is rarely used anymore.

Experienced modelers will be familiar with the tongues used years ago to allow the wing to separate safely in a wing tip first landing. They were rather large, usually made from plywood and quite heavy. Dependable, strong and light devices can be made using carbon fiber strip. Pictures and a description was included in my article on the Arado E-530 which was published in 4/05 Flying Models mag. I had a bunch of closeup photos of the devices as installed in my other twins but lost them in a hard drive crash.

Construction of the device is very easy. CF strips are used, about 5/32" wide and 1/32" thick. The strips stand on edge, glued into the inner wing panels and fitting into a little box on the outer panels. One strip is all that is needed on each wing along with alignment pins near the TE and LE. Two ortho bands mounted on tiny hooks under the wing keep the panels from coming apart. They break when the wing panels separate. Only a few gms are added to the weight of the model.

These devices have worked flawlessly and saved my models many times. It is a shame others don't use them, especially on some of the large museum quality models seen at Geneseo.
Rubber Rookie
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »

Any chance you could post some pics? I'm having trouble picturing this in my mind.

--Rubber Rookie
schnellwilli

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »

PM me with your email and I will send you some photos. If any of your friends subscribe to Tailspin, there were some good pics included last issue.
arkydave
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »

Hi, could you send me a copy of the photo also? Dave. How do I send PM?
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »

schnellwilli, Very interesting. I've heard of removeable/breakaway wings before, but just never could visualise how it's done. I'm headed to Geneseo next month to see some of those wonderful models you mentioned. I am also going to pick up a Miss Worlds Fair, as Jim Moseley and a kind friend of his are giving me this wonderful model. I was wondering if this might be the size you are mentioning and would love to see some pictures also, so I can put them into my How To Do files. I'll PM you, and if you can. again, I would love to see what you've done.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »

I am also going to pick up a Miss Worlds Fair...

In my hands today, Caley; in yours in a little over three weeks.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »

Thanks Jim. Really looking forward to the visit there. Only thing I don't like is having to fly in an airplane. Always get sick on airplanes. Ugh!!!! What we won't go through to have a little fun.  Grin

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: